Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New 15 Watt Amplifier

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Robbie, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Yes, about 10-12 pounds lighter

2. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I'm back off the road now so going to get to L&M and give that Traynor a try. If the Traynor has that extra little bit for gigging that could sway my decision.

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Keep us posted!

Robbie likes this.
  4. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Absolutely

5. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Well, I spent quite a bit of time with both the AC15C1 and YCV20WR yesterday at Long & McQuade and to my ears the AC15C1 has the edge. The AC15C1 simply sounds bigger and warmer. Understanding of course all of this is personal taste...the YCV was a nice amplifier as well.

I rented the AC15C1 for a month, when I got it home and really pushed it there are some rattling tubes in it (arghhh) but the final test will be Monday night when I try it at a stage volume rehearsal (rattles and all) To be fair, the AC15C1 I rented has been rented a couple of times previously so if I buy one it will be a new out of the box unit. I expect tube issues with it as well, to some degree. It's a shame but just how it goes.

I did an AB with the Vox and my 68 CDR and I was a little surprised at the similarities between the Vox on the Normal Channel and the 68 CDR on the Custom Channel. The Vox had slightly tighter bass and a bit more mids which I think can be expected with EL84's vs 6V6's. All in all, they compliment each other well.

When all is said and done I'm really impressed with the AC15C1, Greenback and all.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    TSims1, Ricochet and Wulfgang like this.
  6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Good review Robb, the AC15 is a terrific amp.

7. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    So here's a question for you EL84 guys. Assuming I purchase an AC15 what experiences do you have with different EL84's? I've become a big 6V6 JJ fan (Thanks BTW Tony B.) but I read that JJ EL84's are a little ho hum and tend to be prone to rattling in AC's. That said I used them in my Traynor YGL2 and liked them so they would likely be my go to in this case. JJ makes an EL844 (low power) that apparently breaks up earlier than the EL84 and I don't want that, at 15 watts I want as much clean headroom as possible. Any suggestions, or experiences?

8. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Electromatic

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    New Marshall Origin 20

9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    I like the Tung Sol EL-84 tubes but I've never had a problem with the JJs either, jut prefer the sparkle of the Tung Sol.

Robbie likes this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    So here it is...I'm done with this. After 4 or 5 days of trying to bond with the AC15C1, it went back. I liked it just fine, very nice amp actually (except for the rattle) but it seemed to be missing something, I spent hours trying to make the AC15 (the back up amp) sound...and feel... like my 68CDR. It got kind of close...but no cigar. I was left with only one reasonable alternative. I packed the AC15 up, along with my HR Deluxe, went back to Long & McQuade and traded my HR Deluxe on another 68 CDR. I am now the proud owner of two 68 CDR's, just need an ABY box. Geeze !!!

loudnlousy, russmack and Ricochet like this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Sounds like you’re a CDR man. They are great amps.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congratulations Robbie. :)

13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    LOL, That's wonderful Robb. You wouldn't be the first to go full circle back to a DR, and the CDR is a great amp for most things.

I still like my AC30 and AC10 but I traded off my AC15 Hand Wired this past week for an Allen Sweet Spot, a terrific amp too, but built around Fender architecture like the DR. After 6 different AC15s I can't seem to find one that does it for me either.

I've owned a few DRs too but I only kept the good ones, a Marsh blackface clone, a mid-70's silverface and a 68 CDR. JJ 6V6 in the back and Tung-sol 12ax7 in the front end.

Have you tried the amazing little Princeton? (Bwa-ha-ha-ha) (evil laughter)

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    You gotta get a Winfield.

15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Geez, I just sold mine. It could have been Robb's!

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    It’s sure worked for me. I love it for Surf.

17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Winnie makes good amps, I just moved along. No issue with the amp at all, it was terrific.

18. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    I've been using one of my Teles with my CDR while waiting for my 6120 to be released from my luthier.

How can I say this - Tele plus CDR or Twin Reverb is some sort of match made in heaven.

In fact (warning; heresy follows) I really think it sounds better than my Gretsch. Much more versatile.

And it has better access to the upper frets.

Russ

19. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I tried....I really really tried

20. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Tele + CDR on the Custom Channel really hauls tail.

russmack likes this.