New 15 Watt Amplifier

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Robbie, Jan 29, 2018.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Mesa Transatlantic is a 15 watter. On the other end of the spectrum is the Monoprice---1X12", 15 watts, reverb---for under $200. Consider a used Ampeg Jet.

Robbie and Henry like this.
  2. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Well.....after last nights rehearsal for a Theatre Show it will be interesting to see how/if a 15 watt amp. will hold up. Mind you, it would be for smaller Shows anyhow and am always mic'd.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  3. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    So... for the money, if you manage to find one, Fender Excelsior it's a bargain. It's 18w (if I'm not wrong) but it moves a lot of air because of the 15" speaker.
    I got one for 300 (euro, so it should be a little more in CAN), 15" speaker already replaced with a Weber Michigan. Everything else was stock and I just made the tone mod (you could replace the bright-dark switch with a brown face-like tone pot for few bucks).
    It sound awesome, the 15" gives a lot of bottom power even with the bridge pickup and tone all bright. I could record my guitars at home with volume at 3 o'clock with no one calling the police.
    Best Fender amp bargain I've ever had for the money.

Robbie likes this.
  4. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Both Traynors you mention are fine amps - I especially like the YCV20's DI and long spring reverb. At 37lbs, it starts to look a little less like a light/knockabout amp, but for me it's a good compromise. I have a hard time liking 1x10" equipped amps like AC10 - not enough balls. AC15 is 48lbs! As has been mentioned, heavier can mean better transformers/materials. The speakers are the same, so maybe transformer/cabinet material are not the same? Hard to say.

Robbie likes this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    In the case of the AC15 (which I really like) it means a really heavy cabinet.

Robbie likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Baltic birch plywood?

Heavier cabinet material doesn't always translate into better tone/projection. I had a Fender Reissue something or other that weighed something around 80lbs. Deadest cabinet I've ever heard. (Or didn't hear as it were...)

Robbie likes this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    No, the standard AC15C1 cab is constructed of MDF fiberboard.

Here: http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac15c1.html

8. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Tony65x55 likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    And cheaper, which I would guess is the motivation.

pmac11 and Tony65x55 like this.
  10. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You don't want to "hear" the cabinet. That's why they're made of dense materials. If the cab design mattered, there are far better designs to use.

11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I spent quite a bit of time yesterday with an AC15. On the Normal Channel I was sincerely impressed. I'm taking a lot of time to sort out an amp that is going to be a back up...but it's fun.

12. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Absolutely you want to hear it, that's why they use solid pine and baltic birch. The cabinet is an integral part of the sound making machine - a good cabinet should resonate. Solid pine as found in many good Fender clones makes a wonderfully resonate cabinet that projects more than a bare speaker can and helps shape the tone. You want a good material that doesn't absorb and dampen tone but instead bounces it back out with as much energy as possible.

Cheap ones like the Fender Reissue Whatzit I had was dead and absorbed sound. Yuk. But a good Vibrolux with solid pine sounds amazing when you crank it high enough for the cabinet to start contributing.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Robbie likes this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Depends on who you ask. A blues/rock guy might like a resonant cab, dropped tuning metal guys certainly don't.

Robbie likes this.
  14. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Everyone has a resonant cab even if they don't realize it. Where and how well it resonates is another issue and there is a whole spectrum of things happening there. No one wants dead cabs that suck tone, so I would tend to think that MDF isn't a great material for cabs and is chosen for it's cost. Cabinets are tuned for a specific tone/frequency response and part of that tuning includes the baffle mounting, back design, slant, shape and the type of wood.

I'm not familiar with what drop tuning metal guys most commonly use, but they don't want their tone sucked any more than the rest. And they want loud, so my guess is that they want closed back cabs that are tuned for low end resonance to produce maximum volume, thump and bass. Which wood does that best I don't know, but baltic birch is pretty common with Mesa Rectifier types.

Ricochet likes this.
  15. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I beg to differ. Speaker bins---stereo and PA cabs---should be definitely NON resonant. I've been working with industrial sound gear since the '60s, and I guarantee you that it's a standard practice in the industry that cabs do not resonate. There is no such thing as tone wood for speaker bins. Guitar cabs use pine because of it's light weight and the joints hold together better; and MDF and particle board due to price---they also are very non resonant. Baltic birch is the densest and most solid plywood you can buy. Open back cabs are for convenience only---it keeps the tubes cool and gives you a place to store a few cables, but, open cabs are not designed for top sound quality. Half of the speaker's energy goes out the back, and cuts the bass response down. The Ampeg SVT is made to not produce the fundamental tone but only the harmonics to prevent resonance blooms of a few notes, making it a much smoother tonal response over the spectrum.

pmac11 and audept like this.
  16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    That's one of those be careful what you wish for deals. Anyone that has ever chased down a problem with a buzz or rattle in a speaker cab will tell you that resonance is a dirty word. It's so dirty that I had to cross it out. :)

wabash slim likes this.
  17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The most advanced sound system speaker manufacturers conduct extensive vibration analysis of their enclosures to detect any areas that need extra bracing. They are well aware that any energy consumed in vibrating the structure equates to lost acoustical output. As far back as the 1930s Harry Olsen at RCA demonstrated this by measuring the acoustical output from speaker cabinets with variable bracing and different screw spacings on removable panels of various thicknesses.

wabash slim likes this.
  18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I spent some time with an AC15 again today...once again...really nice on the normal channel. I really need to rent one and see how it holds up. The tremolo on them is fantastic.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  19. 5420LH

5420LH Gretschie

Dec 7, 2017
    USA
    Not with Traynor but the Vox layout is pretty simple too I think. I’d guess though without ever even having seen a Traynor that it’s lighter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Yes, the trem is gorgeous. I found the AC15 was terrific for rehearsals and small gigs, but simply didn't have that extra 10% for gigging. The Traynor did. That said, they both sound terrific.

Robbie likes this.