Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New 15 Watt Amplifier

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Robbie, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Am likely going to be purchasing a new 15 (or so) watt amplifier for home and small stage use. There's LOT's to choose from but essentially have it narrowed down to an AC15 and Traynor YGL-1. So far I'm leaning towards the Traynor because #1..it's a Traynor #2 it's lighter #3 simple controls layout #4 it's a Traynor.
    I'm likely going to start by renting a YGL-1 for a month to see if I really like it. Then may rent the AC15 for a month as well.
    Anyone have experience with both? (Tony65x55?) Comments?
    Thanks

rob batz and Trash Kidd like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    No experience here , but good luck on the search

Robbie likes this.
  3. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Renting and trying them seems to be the best idea.
    On the other hand, reasons #1 and #4 are absolutely convincing.

Robbie and wabash slim like this.
  4. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    From points 1, 2, 3, & 4 it would seem your mind is made up.... especially points 1 and 4!
    I have no experience of Traynor amps and am a Vox man myself,
    Having said that, there are a number of different AC15s to choose from with differing specs and prices right up to hand wired.
    If weight is a problem then perhaps the AC10, which is smaller and nearly as loud as the AC15, is a better bet and cheaper too.
    The AC10 also has a simple control layout and the AC15 is not exactly complex!
    Good luck with the search for YOUR choice!

Robbie likes this.
  5. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Renting them both will be your ultimate decider but I do like the specs on the Traynor. I'd be interested if the US/Brit/pure mode switch will give you Vox tones.

Robbie likes this.
  6. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    At $755 Cdn, the YGL1 is very tough to beat, eh.

Robbie likes this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Ah yes, the YGL-1. I had one for a while and actually, I was underwhelmed. I definitely preferred the AC15 but... take a look at the Traynor YCV20WR. Although it is a $100 more, it's sound quality is a significant step up from the YGL-1. At 38 lbs, it is a super grab-and-go amp and it even has a headphone jack. In fact, it is jammed with features and it is a serious contender.

Let me know what you think.

PS: You can get a late 60s/early 70s YBA-2 Bass Mate (20w) for less and with the right speaker, they can be as good or better than anything on the market. I have six, three of which are in custom cabs with good speakers for less than $700 cdn, taxes in. Just saying.

Here's one with a Weber California 15" in it: YBA-2

Robbie and Joe90 like this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    You've done it again...I totally forgot about the YCV20WR. You know me well enough that if you suggest the YBA-1 may be underwhelming, I won't spend much time with it.

I'm looking for a light small wattage amp that I'll use from time to time at smaller Venues/Shows where I don't need to take any OD pedals. My 68 Custom Deluxe does that really well for me at larger shows and want to try a lower wattage amp as well so no matter what the Venue my pedal board will consist of a Tuner, and when needed a tremolo pedal. It might even be interesting to run them both with an ABY and use the YCV20WR as my OD pedal.

I'd prefer to go with a new amp so I can trade my HR Deluxe III in.

9. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

If all other things are equal, a fifteen watt valve amp should be a certain weight.

If one is significantly lighter than the other, it probably means that economies have been made with transformers, speakers or cabinet material. I'd tend to go for the heavier one every time, it's likely to be "better" in some way.

HBob, Robbie and Ricochet like this.
  10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    I think you will find the YCV20WR an excellent choice. By the way, the YBA-1 is a great amp, the YGL-1 is underwhelming. LOL :)

Try them out and tell us what you think.

Have you thought about the '68 Princeton Reverb? With a 12" Legend in, it sounds really good too!

Robbie likes this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I don't disagree with you at all. The Traynor's are equal to most other 15 watt amplifiers at about 38 pounds. The AC15 is closer to 50 pounds though. It's the Vox that appears to be the odd one out, perhaps in a good way.

12. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Ooooops, I meant YGL-1

Tony65x55 likes this.
  13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Yes Sir I have, they are touch difficult to locate...but I haven't tried too awfully hard to be honest. Between the Band schedule and everything else I'm a little pressed for time. I'm missing Traynor right now.

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    I hear you brother, Traynor's can be very, very good. The sound gets under your skin.

15. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Vox ac10!
    Fender Pro Jr!

Both are small, light, loud enough for small stuff!

Robbie likes this.
  16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I have played through VOX amps for decades, so I am partial to them (and alnico speakers), coupled with The Celestion Blue alnico speaker. Or a Fender Deluxe Fudge Brownie model, that has Jensen alnico. Not on your list, but 22 watts and a classic.

maxresdefault.jpg untitled.png

Traynors are fine amps too. I played through a Custom Valve 20 (sorry that the same amp on your list) years ago and was impressed.

tray.png

17. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I LOVE my YGM- 3 and it would probably be perfect for you if you can find one, they go for around 500 bux here. My other favourites are the Ampeg Reverborocket and Magnatone 213 ( expensive now). I let my '66 Rocket go like a dummy, still got the other two.

Robbie likes this.
  18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    +1 Excellent amps, have played a couple of them.

19. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I liked the AC10 a lot Tony. It's just a "little" under powered for what I'm looking for.
    Think Vox might make an AC12.5 ??
    I think the AC15 would be a slam dunk for me, but a little heavier than I want. Realistically, I can still physically schlep heavier amps, but that's not going to last forever.

20. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    I have an AC15 with a Creamback speaker which is really loud for only 15 watts!
    If you are looking for an excellent amp for the money I would suggest a Peavy Valve King VK-112 50 watt.....I picked one up for $150 and I love it, it's also very loud but manageable to use at low volume.