Need opinions

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Parttime, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I love my jumbo rancher no doubt but I’ve never been satisfied with the under bridge pick up system.
    I want to custom mount a sound hole pick up and a g arrow volume knob for swelling notes like the electrics.
    Also I want to install a tail piece for looks mainly but to get more bend out of the strings. Probably won’t be a Cadillac tail piece due to price but maybe the picture gives the general idea.
    Sorry it’s crude.

upload_2020-2-6_15-4-13.jpeg

2. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Maybe replace the bridge pickup and/or preamp, but leave the rest as is.

PS: I have a Yamaha 12-string from the early 80ies with just a piezo bridge and it sounds great. That‘s why I would just upgrade that and maybe the preamp too.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    thunder58 likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Can’t say I have ever been drawn to sound hole pups but I did install the pure western mini in my 000 Martin and I really like them. But what sort of tone are you looking for from your Rancher?

4. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Right now the lows are booming loud with no mods and thin highs or no bottom with highs like glass in tour eyeballs. It won’t balance out

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So you’re looking for a nice balanced tone that represents your guitar? Or just a nice balanced tone? Representative of the guitar I think would be more difficult to obtain with a sound hole pickup unless it’s some kind of sound hole mic.

section2, Tadhg and Parttime like this.
  6. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Is the tailpiece going to provide enough of a break angle? I’d definitely figure that out before adding one.

From what I understand (and I could be wrong here) the bouts on an acoustic don’t vibrate much, so it’d be a good place to mount a volume pot. If you like the sound then you like the sound. Can’t argue with that.

Or get one of the Ranchers with a Filter’Tron and Bigsby already installed?

7. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    Can I suggest you look at the xvive ‘Mike’ pedal before mangling yer axe?

I too wasn’t amazed by the relatively low-fi sound of my Rancher Falcon. Even compared to my old 90s Epiphone PR5E it was lacking.

I got the Xvive Mike after looking at mic modelling pedals and this was cheaper than new pickups, much more versatile and sonically incredible. I would add a reverb pedal too and for your swells maybe a volume pedal.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=xvive mike pedal review

Parttime likes this.
  8. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Is there no preamp on the piezo pickup? Seems you ought to be able to change things a bit. But you can mount a soundhole pickup readily and give it a go. I have done this a couple times. I find it's hard to change the natural character of a guitar though. You will get some change.
    Lawrence makes a bunch of soundhole pickups that install spring loaded, Humbucker, Single coil , Mini HB etc. Some have a little volume knob on the pickup.
    [​IMG]
    But the real problem is what to do with the cable? If you mount to the output jack do you use a switch so you can use both pickup systems? Put in a second output jack? in the body?
    I highly suggest you buy a soundhole pickup and give it a try before modding a bunch of stuff. I tried this but never really got to where I'd want to be...

[​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Lawre...587642?hash=item4da4a263fa:g:zAkAAOSw2H1eGIsV

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    thunder58 likes this.
  9. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Man that’s a pretty cool pedal

Alanqa likes this.
  10. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Parttime likes this.
  11. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I have 2 of these The American Sound and the British. I would absolutely recommend them for electric guitar DI or straight to PA work but not so much for getting good natural acoustic sounds from a piezo, they do overdrive very quickly. I often record electric guitars with them and can get an amazing array of sounds from them.

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I like the look ( idea )

13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You gotta get the Gretsch Delta luxe pickup for your Gretsch. I think the EQ recommendations are good too, but deep down I'm a piezo hater and love sound hole magnetic pickups.

14. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I have the exact same guitar, a Rancher Jumbo totally stock, and love the way it sounds thru an amp.

As with any electric guitar, what amp you run it thru is a big part of the equation. I use mine primarily thru a Deluxe Reverb '65 Reissue and that baby's got chime to spare! Gorgeous clean tone. Well balanced. D'Addario Phospher Bronze strings (I've tried the 80/20 Bronze and found them a little too bright on that guitar).

You don't say what amp you're using, but that's something to consider. Besides, it's always fun to get a new amp!

And yeah, Jarrod's right. You could always just get one of these (5034TFT):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice