Need help with trapeze tailpiece

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Medium John, May 22, 2020.

1. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

I've got a double jet with a trapeze tailpiece . It buzzes against the body sometimes . Sometimes it's OK and no buzz at all . There is just a small gap , maybe 1/32" between the bottom of it and the top of the guitar . Can anyone tell me what's going on ? I can shove a tooth pick between it and the body and it will never buzz , but it's just not a real good look to me . Any help would be greatly appreciated . This is the second guitar , sent the first one back because the tail piece was damaged on the end . I thought that was why it was buzzing . The second one is perfect and it buzzes too ???!!! Help

2. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Hi and welcome. Your post got me to thinking, I replaced the Bigsby on my G5135 Corvette with a trapeze tailpiece and have had no buzzing. Measuring it I have about 3/8" clearance from the body so I'm no help to you but I'm confident someone here will be. What part of the Peach State are you calling home (unless of course you're in the Republic of Georgia)? I'm here in the ATH.

Medium John likes this.
  3. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Thank you sir . If mine measured 3/8" it probably wouldn't buzz either , kind of wish it was . I'm still trying to understand why the strap buttons are the way they are . Too good to use a screw and a button ?

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Just slip a small felt “sliding feet” pad under there. Should be nitro safe.

5. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Thanks , I'll give that shot and it will definitely look better than a tooth pick .

6. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Thanks again . It worked . I had a couple of the felt washers that go between the strap buttons and the body . The body is arched so I slid them under the widest opening and pushed them up under the tailpiece , used that tooth pick to push them toward the bridge . No more buzz . You are the man .

7. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    A pic would help. Could you raise the tailpiece 1/32" if you replaced it's screw with round head instead of flathead?

8. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Thanks but , I don't think it will move . The tailpiece is held in place by three wimpy screws on the end and the strap button thingy also goes right through the center of the thing too . What do they have against regular strap buttons with a screw holding it in place ? I had one strap for all my guitars , locker buttons and locker strap. I had to get a new strap just for this guitar . Ricochet got me fixed up with his felt hack , works great .
    canvas.png

9. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I went to UGA from '74 to '78, and then lived in Watkinsville from '83 to '90. And Athens is still my favorite place in the world.

Medium John and rake_ether like this.
  10. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Oh yeah, I had that tailpiece on my 3161, no pivot... just rigid right?

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the asylum!
    A wee bit o' felt will take care of the problem. That's known as the G cutout tailpiece. I have the same one and have no issues. Trapeze tailpiece is one with two thin wiry pieces between tail and the part that holds the strings.

The strap buttons are iconic---and they can come loose. I don't know why Gretsch uses them aside from the fact that they've used them for years and it's their tradition. I have gone to Schaller Straplocks years ago, after my strap came of while playing. Found the little knurled knob, didn't damage my guitar, but went to straplocks soon after. It's like an insurance policy.

Medium John likes this.
  12. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Rigid would be the correct term . You know it .

13. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

I use the term trapeze tailpiece because that's what it says in the specs . Thanks .
    Hardware
    • Bridge type: Fixed
    • Bridge design: Adjusto-matic , anchored
    • Tailpiece: Trapeze
    • Tuning machines: Vintage-style open-back
    • Color: Gold

wabash slim likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I always equated "trapeze" to the Gibson style that resembles a, well, circus trapeze.

new6659 and Medium John like this.
  15. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Exactly , I guess now anything connected on one end swings freely through the air held up only by strings is , Let's call it trapeze like .

16. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Works for me . if it works for you . :)

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice