Need help with my Electromatic 5230T Jet

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by yoshiii, May 19, 2020.

1. yoshiii

yoshiii Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Ohio
    Hello

I have the Electromatic 5230T Jet. Nice guitar,still in the box, played it about 4 times since I bought it a few months ago.

I am deciding between spending the 200-300 dollars for upgrading the pots and pickups (to TV Jones) or using it towards a trade in.

I want a Jet but dont know if should just keep this one or save a bit more and get the new Pro Line jet or buy a used one Pro Jet.

What are peoples opinions and suggestions?

Snorre likes this.
  2. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Electromatic

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    Don't you like it?

Snorre likes this.
  3. yoshiii

yoshiii Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Ohio
    Well, its nice but there is a difference. Played a pre FMIC 2002 Jet and it felt more solid.

I dont really want to worry about upgrading the pots and pickups right now. The taper is not good on the pots. The Black Top Filtertrons are ok but they dont sound like the Gretsch sound I want that would get from stock Gretsch pickups or from TV Jones.

The electromatic is nice but wonder if better to get the Pro Line new or used. Will upgrading the pots and putting in TV Jones make a big difference?

Snorre likes this.
  4. Afoshie

Afoshie Electromatic

Dec 14, 2019
    Greeneville TN
    Yes it will make all the difference

Snorre likes this.
  5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Have you tried adjusting your pickup heights? Filtertrons are especially sensitive to height adjustments. Blacktop Filtertrons are good pickups, and you might find that you're happy with them after some tweaking.

If you're still not getting the sound you want, but you're happy with the build quality and the feel of your guitar, you should be able to get the sound you're looking for by upgrading the pickups and pots.

I replaced the pickups in my Electromatic Jet and I'm delighted with the sound. I have a TV Jones Classic at the neck and an HS Filtertron at the bridge. Both are wonderful pickups. The TVJ sounds hotter than the HS Filtertron, but not necessarily better. You'll definitely notice an improvement if you replace your Blacktops with HS Filtertrons or TVJs.

Pro Lines are a cut above, so you'll see an improvement again if you do choose to move up to a Pro Line. But Electromatics are fine guitars at a fraction of the price, so a pickup swap is a great way to improve the tone without spending an extra $1000.

6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was messing around with my 5230T and my penguin the other day, I really like my 5230 for what it is and what I play with it as I use it for heavier/rock music but the different between the electros and the prolines is definitely there.

The blacktops work for me but as you said they are not the typical gretsch filtertron sound, my penguin has dynas so I can't compare the two in that way, yes the pots aren't the best for taper and all that but they are just under half the price of the pro lines so somethings have to give, I think mine feels pretty solid and I have no issues with the fit and finish and in my opinion is a great guitar for the money and a great modding platform which if you can make what you want for less then a proline.

Comparing to the penguin though even though they are both jets, the penguin is truely a step above the 5230, even though both are routed too, the penguin resonates so much more then the 5230, not sure if it's in the body or the top but the difference is there.

I love both my jets and am a fan of the electro line but at the end of the day it comes down to what you want, to me it sounds like you have your heart set on a duojet and if you don't love the 5230T for what it is now then it would be terrible for you to spend the money modifying it to still not be truly happy with it.

Sorry if the above isn't really helpful, just my thoughts.

Snorre likes this.
  7. yoshiii

yoshiii Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Ohio
    No havent adjusted the height yet. If I keep it need to take it to a guitar repair man once the music stores bring them back in.

Did any of you upgrade your pots?

What do you think of the nut and tuners on the 5230T?

I need a set up, the guitar is still in the box. I did open the back and noticed they have full sized pots. Dont know what brand. The symbol on the back of the pots are like two triangles with them intersecting at the tips with a S thru the middle.
    But they dont work well.

Just wondering if spending extra for the pickups and pots are worth it.

Both of you have given me some good info.

Snorre likes this.
  8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Height adjustment might does help as @section2 said.

I haven't upgraded anything personally but I don't gig with it so it's fine for me the way it is, if I did then I'd probably do the electronics as like you said they aren't very user friendly.

The tuners are fine for me, the nut could use a little work but again it's fine for what I do with it.

Honestly I bought this guitar while I was interstate and had nothing to play as all my things were back home, bought it purely just for a home use thing but really do love it and would gig it happily, if however it was my only gretsch and wanted 'that' sound, I'd probably swap the pick ups.

Snorre likes this.
  9. yoshiii

yoshiii Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Ohio
    I found a 2002 pre FMIC Pro Jet, its 1600 dollars. Feels nice, only thing is the hardware is corroding. The pickup covers have this blues silver crusty stuff and them and the chrome or nickle hardare is looking tarnish and some of corroding. Not like the pick up covers. Is it worth trading in my 5230T for this?

Snorre likes this.
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Get a guitar that makes you smile when you look at it or pick it up....If you can afford it. If what you really want is a Proline, leave your Jet stock, save your money then trade it in or sell it.

Or, be like me, have one of each:D

4C748772-18D5-4145-A0B2-6D8E7B048185.jpeg 90A68E37-F035-4FB4-BF07-9EF17CE6BA61.jpeg

11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    @radd said it the best lol.

Sorry I can't comment on the pre FMIC jets as I have never played one, hopefully someone else with a bit more experience then me can chime in as to whether that is a good deal.

Snorre likes this.
  12. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Pre-FMIC Gretsches had rather sketchy electronics. I've read about lots of owners switching out pots and wiring harnesses, not to mention the pickups themselves. I actually had to have pickups replaced on a pre-FMIC 6120 years ago. Just something to keep in mind.

Play what feels and sounds good to you. If you feel comfortable having to change out the guts of a guitar, it will be cheaper than graduating to a pro line. Whatever makes you want to come home and open up the case first thing...

Snorre and radd like this.
  13. yoshiii

yoshiii Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Ohio
    So basically it would be like having the 5230T except with better body construction?

Snorre likes this.
  14. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Yeah, pretty much.

Snorre likes this.
  15. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    The Electromatic Jets are great guitars, but I have gutted all three of mine (and my 5422) and replaced everything - pots, jack, switch, bridge, tailpiece, and pickups. Huge difference in tone and definitely worth it. I have under $1000 in each of them and they each have exactly the sound I was going for. Even if I had bought a pro line, I can’t say I wouldn’t have still swapped the pickups to get the exact ones I wanted, and I certainly would have replaced the bridge. They don’t even make the exact proline that I’d want (a players edition Double Jet with either a stoptail or - even better - a G tailpiece) so it would still be a compromise getting a single cut Players Edition (I don’t like the rosewood bridge setup on the regular Double Jets). Doesn’t matter, I’m thrilled with my upgraded Electromatics.

Snorre and Outlaw like this.
  16. yoshiii

yoshiii Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Ohio
    Bridge?

Snorre likes this.
  17. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I replaced the tune-o-Matic bridges on all three Jets (and my 5422) with Tru-Arc bridges.

Snorre likes this.
  18. yoshiii

yoshiii Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Ohio
    How does that help?

Snorre likes this.
  19. Laroosco74

Laroosco74 Electromatic

May 22, 2020
    Detroit
    I had an electromotive Jet and it was cool but was the darkest guitar I’ve ever aged, even with a TV Classic upgrade.
    Are they all like that?

Snorre likes this.
  20. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    It‘s what it is, not a bad guitar but a different beast compared to a Duo Jet. I‘ve tried it myself but didn’t keep it. Better pickups and electronics will always help but they’re only some parts of the whole :rolleyes:

Snorre likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice