Join Gretsch-TalkToday

Need help...nitrocellulose-finish guitars??

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by BBrown, Mar 11, 2009.

1. BBrown

BBrown Electromatic

I am looking to a new stand for my new 5120. I noticed that the some say of the manufactures say not to use with nitrocellulose-finish guitars. Is the 5120 nitrocellulose-finished...if so what type of stand would you recommend.

Thanks for your help.
    BB

2. EdgeOfQuarrel

EdgeOfQuarrel Synchromatic

no
    Stands??I lean my geets against the wall ....

3. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

I like the small A frame stands for ind. guitars.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BBrown

BBrown Electromatic

Thanks Jukebox

I think the 5120 has a urethane finish, at least that is what it says on the Guitar Center website. I couldn't seem to find it on the Gretsch web page.

I guess urethane is different then nitrocellulose. I googled nitrocellulose stands and guitars and it seems some of the foam tubing they use on the stands is having some kind of reaction with certain guitars. Remove the finish.

Take Care

6. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

You shouuld be able to get by with any stand. Good luck!

7. Archer993

Archer993 Electromatic

Yep, I have an LP that has nasty nitro damage due to it hanging on the dealer's wall.

I use all A Frames and have sewn black sheepskin onto all the areas of contact with the guitar.

For the odd shaped Billy-Bo I use an ultimate stand.

8. Raspy

Raspy Country Gent

I couldn't figure out which
    finish is compatable with
    the different materials on
    the different stands...

So what I did just to be safe
    was put baby cotton sox on
    the tubing that the git sits on...

================================

<><> Raspy <><>

Attached Files:

9. Tricone

Tricone Synchromatic

Yes, BBrown. 5120's are finished with polyurethane, or "poly" for short. It is a very hardy and durable finish. Very tough to remove! Guitars are also finished in nitrocellulose lacquer, often called "nitro" or "lacquer". Not as durable as polyurethane, but many believe it is more conducive to the guitar's sound . . . but that subject is for another thread . . . "poly" vs. "nitro"

10. Tricone

Tricone Synchromatic

I've left more than a few lacquer-fnished guitars on various stands which invariably have that rubber/neoprene-like coating over the arms. Over time, the material would leave a "mar" on the finish. I've learned to place a piece of flannel over the arms, to prevent this from occurring. It never happened to my poly-finished guitars, though.

11. Raspy

Raspy Country Gent

The guitar in that picture
    has a Nitro finish... I put
    the sox on all my stands
    just to be safe... That way
    I don't have to use a certain
    stand with a certain guitar...

=======================

<><> Raspy <><>

12. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Never use a rubber covered stand with a Nitro finished guitar.

13. BBrown

BBrown Electromatic

Thanks guys for all the info. I think with the 5120 being poly I should be OK...I never gave it much thought before with my acoustic guitars.

Take Care,
    BB

14. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Mittens would be more appropriate wouldn't they? :)

15. Scott

Scott Country Gent

A good rule of thumb with current Gretsch guitars: If it doesn't say it's finished with lacquer, it's finished with polyurethane.

Most of their product is poly-finished now. Only "custom" or "upscale" models like some of the Falcons(6136TLDS or 6136LTV) or custom shop models will be finished in lacquer. Their website mentions this.

16. DevilYouKnow

DevilYouKnow Country Gent

Thanks to all for giving me pause and cause to think about this. What idiot designed the foam stands that ruin finishes? Engineering flaw indeed. I'm pretty sure that a lot of time on a foam padded stand has caused damage to the finish on the back of the neck on my guild acoustic. I thought it was just my dirty hands but it's kind of sticky and soft feeling (where it isn't worn completely off from years of playing) and now I know why. It's mahogany stained and coated but looking at where it's messed up, I now know why. IDIOTS!!!!!!

JB - I'm with you. I prefer the little A-shaped stands. I have some metal ones that fit in any bag I take to play. There's some new plastic ones out that will fit in a back pocket. Looks like I'm putting the old-school ones out of the living room and in the trash.

17. Telefan

Telefan Synchromatic

You can put a 5120 on any ol' stand you want. It won't hurt it.

18. ToneM1

ToneM1 Electromatic

Nitro is a more organic type of finish and subject to chemical interactions. surgical tubing that is used on some stands are of a petro oil/chemical mixture and will interact with the nitro. Your 5120 has a poly finish which is also a petro chemical based plastic. After the plastic hardens it won't interact with the tubing as it doesn't breath or allow absorbsion of the chemicals in contact with the poly unless it's a solvent like Acetone or MEK. Nitrocellulose Lacquer is a wood/chemical based finish that is usually very thin and allows the wood to breath and absorb what comes into contact with it to some degree. the tubing has what's called "Off-Gassing" of the solvents to keep it flexible over time and is easily absobed by any nitro finish.

19. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Synchromatic

I make hardwood guitar stands out of various exotic hardwoods. Some get finished with shellac, some receive lacquer, still other receive an oil/varnish blend. I always finish off my stands with heavy felt (usually black) where contact with a guitar is likely. I've never had a problem. Available at a Michael's or other craft shop near you. :)

20. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

That's what cases are made for. I leave my poly's out but never my nitro JM. Every other one of my guits is poly so I don't worry. THe baby sock idea is interesting. You could just remove the foam and wrap the metal parts with felt (as mentioned) or chamois. Cheaper than throwing away stands.