Need help finding a "cool" guitar

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Calvin Lee 2, Jan 30, 2019.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

Based on this, I'm going to recommend a silver Dean Vendetta! ;)

But since that's not working for him, and that he likes tortoise, I'm going to guess maybe his tastes may lean more traditional?

I just went with a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar for my 12 year old daughter.

[​IMG]

It hasn't arrived yet, so no comment on performance, but seems "cool" to me, there are a gazillion choices in the Vintage Modified series, and reviews are pretty positive. And they're cheap.

Howard hughes and panhead6zero like this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've been pretty impressed w/ the G&L Tributes I've been running into recently, only complaint I've ever had w/ the ones I've owned or tried out was that some could be a bit on the hefty side. They vary a bit in pricing based on model, but most of them seem to go $3-400 retail in mint-excellent condition used and you can often find several models on blowout/b-stock for just a bit more than that. Given the proclivities for metal and graphics, they may not meet his "cool" quotient however.

Here's a Tribute Fallout that I would think should do a pretty good job of low gain metal for him, w/ a tort guard:
    [​IMG]

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Simple. Find out what "cool" is to him.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My suggestion is to find a few guitars that you think are good show him pics, and let him choose.

Edit: ah, it's a surprise, but you can be sneaky about it. Leave out a sweetwater catalog, point out the guitars you think are cool and I'm sure he'll do the same.

Sid Nitzerglobin and drmilktruck like this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those are real nice, it will take some tweaking but nothing you can't handle. I had one and a JM and wish i kept them.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That is cool for sure.

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    He's already got a guitar.
    If he wants "cool" tell him to get good at it, get a job, save some money and you'll match whatever he saves...

It's a valuable life lesson.

wabash slim likes this.
  8. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I have just done an image search for Five Finger Death Punch and there are a few images of their guitarist using an Explorer style guitar. Sweetwater are doing a good deal on the Epiphone 'Goth' Explorer (details on the Epiphone site and the Sweetwater site). It may help that James Hetfield of Metallica also uses an Explorer.

[​IMG]

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Alternatively there is the Epiphone SG Pro (Epiphone site - Sweetwater site):
    [​IMG]

or the Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Epiphone site - Sweetwater site). These are a bit more expensive but are very good guitars. They also come in a wide variety of colours. Their 'cool' pedigree is second to none as well:
    [​IMG]

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Bingo!!!

It will be a fun outing and you will know exactly what he finds "cool" and also what feels "good" in his hands

Keep it a surprise by just taking him out to lunch near the store, say you need some pics/strings and then casually pop in..

11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The five finger death punch sig guitar is pretty flashy... and $900. Maybe you can get an Epi explorer and do it up like this.

[​IMG]

12. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    upload_2019-1-31_12-24-45.png told the ole lady i wanted to redress my caddy like the the one in the five finger video cause it was "cool". she didnt think so :(

new6659 and Calvin Lee 2 like this.
  13. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    This used to be "cool" to most 13 yr olds... Today not so sure.

[​IMG]

14. Calvin Lee 2

Calvin Lee 2 Electromatic

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    I love the look of these so much, but I hate the pickup combination. If they were switched, (p90 in the bridge, HB in the neck) I'd already own one for sure. However for the kid I'm teaching, and the kind of music he wants to play, this could be a really great option. Are these a shorter scale, like the SC-2? (I think that's what it's called.)

15. Calvin Lee 2

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    Not a bad idea! That paint job wouldn't be too difficult to replicate; maybe one of the goth explorers like the one posted above could be a good base to start from.

By the way everyone, I'm going to be showing him all the guitars you guys post in this thread on Sunday. (I'm probably going to tell him I'm buying a new guitar, and just want his opinion on the looks, or something like that that doesn't ruin the surprise.)

16. Calvin Lee 2

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    Those are all really great suggestions. I know when I was a kid, these were the types of guitars I thought were cool. I feel like skulls and flames are always cool to 13-year-old boys. Thanks for the links!

17. Calvin Lee 2

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    new6659 likes this.
  18. Calvin Lee 2

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    I almost bought one of these at a pawn shop a couple years back. I think he might find this one pretty awesome because of the weird tail-pipe things; I know he's into dirt bikes and ATVs, so that aspect of the guitar would probably be appealing to him. Do you know who makes these?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice