Need Advice, please.

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by Hoot, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Hoot

Hoot Newbie

Jun 25, 2019
    Southern IL, USA
    Long time guitarist...hey, I saw the Beatles in concert, if that gives you an idea.
    I'm seriously considering a Gretsch guitar, in the range of $2-3 grand. My only requirements are it must have a Bigsby, and I prefer single cut away.
    Are there any preferred models you recommend?
    I'm a big fan of the Ventures, Byrds, Beatles, and Kinks, Hellecasters....etc.
    Recently, I've become enamored of a band many aren't familiar with, Eilen Jewell...call her Americana.
    Her guitarist, Jerry Miller (not the Moby Grape guy) is an amazing guitarist, who plays for the song, not for flash. It looks like he plays a Chet Atkins model?

Thanks so much for any replies. I feel like I deserve a quality electric before I die, and my wife is ok with it.

section2 likes this.
  2. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Electromatic

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Looks like Jerry Miller plays a Gretsch Roundup. It’s basically a western themed Jet model.

Do you like chambered/solid body, center block, or hollow? Preferred neck scale and fretboard material? There’s a lot to choose from, but those questions are a good start to narrowing it down.

section2 likes this.
  3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Duo Jet 6128 players Edition. Check it out. Versatile.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy, neighbor! Welcome to the asylum!
    Take a day trip up to Sweetwater in Fort Wayne IN. Try out what they have there. You'll find one that speaks to you. Wave as you drive by my place.

pmac11, LongJohn and section2 like this.
  5. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    All of them :)

6. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Seriously though, any 6120, Tennessee Rose, or Anniversary is an excellent all round model to start with.

Robbie likes this.
  7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome! +1 on Eilen Jewell. She's fantastic.

You can't go wrong with any pro-line Gretsch, really, and you've got lots to choose from amongst single-cut Bigsby-equipped models. @jarrodtaylor has given you some good starting points above.

It's also worth checking out the Electromatic series. They're excellent guitars that punch well above their weight in terms of price. I play an Electromatic 5620T (single cut with a center block; discontinued a few years back), and I love it.

Enjoy the hunt!

8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Hoot!

You find that you have asked a pretty open-ended question, and there are plenty of good Gretsch models in your price range. If you're drawn to the solid body, the 6128 Duo Jet is certainly a nice way to go. On the other hand, if you want a Gretsch like George Harrison played, the Country Gentleman might be out of your range, but a 6119 Tennessee Rose hollowbody will also make you smile. The 6118 Anniversary hollowbody has a slightly smaller body than the Tennessee Rose, and is another favorite among people here.

Go to the Grestch site, and check out the Jets if you want to be on the Rockabilly side of an LP, the hollowbodies if you looking for a more resonant sound. Then there are the centerblock guitars that can allow for more gain and still maintain some of the resonance of a hollowbody. It all depends on what sound you looking to get.

section2 likes this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Hoot!
    welcome mat 36.jpg

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville! Good luck on your quest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice