Need advice on output jack repair 0n 5120

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by D. Spree, Jun 27, 2011.

1. D. Spree

D. Spree Synchromatic

Sep 10, 2010
    new york city
    I am enjoying my newly built Tweeed Deluxe but when playing my Gretsch 5120 into this amp am getting a lot of noise from the cable jack on the guitar. This is not a problem with the amp as none of my other guitars have this problem and the cables are fine except in this guitar- when I knock the cable lightly at the guitar I get a hell of a lot of noise - loud bangs and crackles. Over the last couple of years I have read many posts here about repairing that socket and would appreciate some advise on how too do this. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    Try a little De-Oxit Electrical contact cleaner. If that doesn't fix it, you may have to pull the jack out through the sound hole and bend the connecter over a bit to get a tighter connection.

If you were going to the trouble of pulling it out, I'll often times use a stereo jack and wire it in for a stronger hold on the cable.

Glad you're amp is so awesome!!

3. Bob M

Bob M Former Member

Replace it with a Switchcraft jack. The difference in quality is amazing.

4. D. Spree

D. Spree Synchromatic

Sep 10, 2010
    new york city
    Thanks Bob - have switchcraft jack - the issue is how to remove the jack through the soundhole in such a way I can get it back in place afterwards?

5. Bob M

Bob M Former Member

I have had some luck removing these through the lower f hole. To put it back cut the hook off a cheap dry cleaning hanger-bend a little hook on the end of it. Guide the hanger through the hole, through the jack and use the little hook to pull the jack through.

I also have read that surgical tubing works for this. If you go to Stew Macs website there are all kinds of repair tips. I believe I saw one on this topic.

6. D. Spree

D. Spree Synchromatic

Sep 10, 2010
    new york city

Thnaks again - hade also heard about surgical tubing but wasn't sure how it would work. I have used the StewMac site for other tips and I will check it out for this.

7. Drewgrass

Drewgrass Country Gent

Dec 20, 2009
    Teesside ENGLAND
    Jack socket is covered at about 4 minutes in this TV Jones demo.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxr9E56qyjg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxr9E56qyjg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

8. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
    just buy a wiring harness from tv , its worth the effort ;)

9. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I had problems with the jack socket on my proline.
    Here is the thread on that with the way I solved it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice