Need advice on a P-90 pickup for my Gretsch

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pnikola007, Feb 12, 2019.

1. pnikola007

pnikola007 Electromatic

Jan 14, 2019
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Hi. I am thinking of changing the high sensitive filtertron pickup on my 6118T anniversary Gretsch (2018) with a P90, only on the BRIDGE position.
    I need a suggestion of a good P90 that will have that vintage vibe, and not be too modern and muddy.
    Also if anybody knows what kind of pickup mount would be the easiest to install.
    I see TvJones makes p-90, so maybe someone has experience with this.
    https://tvjones.com/collections/guitar-pickups/t90?sort_by=manual

2. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    A TV Jones English Mount T-90 with an EM2 ring would be a drop-in installation. Or you could go with a No-Ears T-90 and mount it directly to the wood, just like a Filtertron. I've never used the T-90s, so I can't give any guidance on how they sound, but the installation would be smooth.

ruger9 and pnikola007 like this.
  3. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I’m all ears, I just ordered two Gibson soap bar P90’s to replace the old ones in my 15 year old Epi Les Paul Gold Top 56 and I’m also going to be ordering the TV Jones T90’s for my new 5622.

Uh, ya, I like P90’s.

But, I’ve never heard TV Jones T90’s other than on their promo video.

4. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I put a pair of Gibson P90's in my Gretsch. I really like P90's especially in hollow guitars. I've tried a ton of P90's over the years and favor genuine Gibson. Some of the cheaper brands are a bit muddy, but some people like that. I prefer P90's in the neck mostly, they are pretty middy in the bridge but it can be good... Here's what I did on the Gretsch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Merc, gretscher09, pnikola007 and 2 others like this.
  5. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Gibson makes a great p90

5120mantis likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I can vouch for TVJ T-90s; I have them in my Cabronita thinline, and they are AWESOME. One of the best pickup sets I've ever owned, perfectly voiced and perfectly balanced.

pnikola007, radd and section2 like this.
  7. db62

db62 Synchromatic

Apr 6, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Would love to know more. Are they more of a vintage clean Gibson-ish P90 or hotter?

8. db62

db62 Synchromatic

Apr 6, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Would love to know more. Are they more of a vintage clean Gibson-ish P90 or hotter? [sorry for the double post...]

9. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    P90 fan here...
    Gibson p90's are still great.
    Duncan antiquity will get you there too

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Hunt for a proper staple P-90.

Sell a kidney if you must.

montereyjack66 likes this.
  11. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    They are like Gibson P90s with that Grestch clarity (Filtertron/Dyna) mixed in. I actually have them with 250K pots to warm them up a little, as I was trying to get closer to the Gibson P90 sound (warm, fat, fuzzy). TVJ recc's 500K pots, and in my tele, they are too bright for that... but in a big hollowbody, that might be perfect.

Usually when I install a SET of pickups, the bridge isn't fat enough, or the neck is a little woofy, and I have to start messing with heights and tilts to get them just right. Not with the T-90s. Dropped them in = PERFECTION. (as I mentioned, I did swap out the pots for 250Ks tho) NO woof on the neck, warmth and balls in the bridge, and the volumes are perfectly balanced.

pnikola007 and db62 like this.
  12. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    The staples aren't P-90s:

"The two models are quite different in construction: While a P-90 has bar magnets at its base and adjustable screws for pole pieces, the Alnico V’s square pole pieces are the magnets."

they were Gibson trying to compete with the Dynasonic:

"the “staple” moniker comes from the appearance of its square magnets, chosen by Lover in a deliberate attempt to visually differentiate the pickup from DeArmond’s Model 200 pickup (later known as the Dynasonic). Cosmetics aside, the two pickups are very similar."

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/print/21134-cult-coils-lesser-known-vintage-pickups

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I learn something every day. Still, closer to a P-90 than a humbucker, and, one of the best sounding single coil pickups ever made.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    RomanS likes this.
  14. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Thanks. I considered these before I modded, but just wasn't sure about the TVJ's ....being fairly unknown and they aren't cheap. I knew I liked Gibson P90's. One thing I like about P90's is they are best set a ways away from the strings. So no picking interference etc. They can be very clean until driven hard with volume or hard picking. The T-90's may have been an easier install though! I need to look up the specs on them. What "space" do they fit in? 'Tron space?

15. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Sage advise. Unfortunately, I've run out of kidneys...and the neighbor's kid isn't quite adult sized yet.

wabash slim likes this.
  16. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Yes, Filtertron sized

17. pnikola007

pnikola007 Electromatic

Jan 14, 2019
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Can a dog ear P-90 be installed on a hollow body gretsch. In this case, 6118T. Tv Jones does make P-90 that fit the filtertron shape on my guitar...but i always liked those dog ear p-90 :)