Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Need advice: New Falcon has floating fingerboard fall away/hump

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Diggey, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice albeit possibly unintentional feature!

2. Reedlvr

Reedlvr Gretschie

Dec 8, 2017
    West Texas
    I'd like to say thanks for bringing this to my attention, and or, dammit why'd you say anything? BOTH my 2017 6120 PE & my 2011 5120 have it! albeit the 5120 doesn't start until fret 17.......

3. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    But that seems to be Gretsch gold plating. This Ovation with the gold tuners in the photo below I bought in 1990. Twenty-eight years ago and the gold, believe me, looks brand-spanking new. I have an Epiphone with gold plated tuners, ten year old guitar...brand spanking new. My Gretsch gold...looks like lead.

[​IMG]

4. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    Read the full thread. We all seem to have it. It seems to be a normal feature on guitars with that extended fretboard.

5. Reedlvr

Reedlvr Gretschie

Dec 8, 2017
    West Texas
    What do you mean by "read the whole thread"? I've been reading it since it was posted!!! wow

6. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    So then why did you express fear and apprehension in your post? This thread more or less indicates that this fall-away is a normal occurrence. It's good to know that it is on a lot of our guitars. This thread alleviates any worries.

Henry likes this.
  7. Reedlvr

Reedlvr Gretschie

Dec 8, 2017
    West Texas
    IT WAS A FEEBLE ATTEMPT AT HUMOR! lighten up just a little buddy

8. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    Use these:
    :);):D

Come on, it's understandable that guys would post here afraid to look at their fretboards. The way you wrote your post it seemed you were somewhat afraid. Hell, I was on a Rickenbacker thread where everyone was saying take a look at your R tailpiece and see if there are any cracks developing (those things are known to explode). I was shaking, didn't want to look at mine. That thread put fear in me. (I looked, by the way. Sure enough, hairline crack.) Guitar threads can be helpful. They can also ruin your day.

9. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Wow!! Normal fall away it's the thing, it's natural, don't worry about it, even if it don't look right? None of my guitars have this " very common phenomena" 2017 Gibson ES335, 2006 Gibson ES335, 2007 Guild X500, Hagstrom Viking Tremar Deluxe, Hagstrom HJ800, Hagstrom Swede Tremar, 59 Martin 0017, Collings CJ35, Telecastor 62 Reissue Bigsby, Cordoba Classical Cross Over, Fender Molonga Strat. Geez!!!! I don't know guys. I have owned practically every modern Gretsch ever made. Never been able to keep one longer than two years at most, and don't currently own a Gretsch. It all got started with Gretsch because I wanted to sound like Brian Setzer. Well that ain't never gonna happen no matter what brand I play. Outside of the fall away looking bad, if it rings your chimes when you play it, then forget about it and enjoy the guitar. What do I know? I have no Brain and am Gretschless.

Attached Files:

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I like fall away - it's a good thing! Be happy that someone did this the RIGHT way. I do this to guitars when I dress the frets.

12. Diggey

Diggey Gretschie

Jul 27, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Well I can tell you if you saw it in person you'd agree it isn't designed that way and none of my other Gretsch's have it or have had it. So, I'm exchanging it and hopefully it isn't an issue. Thanks for the input.

MTurner likes this.