Neck Shapes

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Merc, May 15, 2019.

Favorite neck shape? See first post for image

1. “U” Shape

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Soft “V”

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Oval “C”

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Hard “V”

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Modern Flat Oval

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Medium “V”

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. I can rock any neck as I don’t care

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. knh555

knh555 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I'm quite adaptable and flexible regarding necks, but my favorite profile is my Strat AV59 D-shape, which doesn't appear in the poll. To me, the profile, fretboard radius, fret size, and finish all interact into a whole, so I can't say I'd like that one without the vintage topsides and glossy finish.

I also like my modern C on the Strat Plus (my number 1), but the Penguin and 5420 also have wonderful necks that I enjoy playing. As does my LP with a 60's slim and rolled, bound edges. I have a couple 80's Peavey necks that are incredibly good as well.

I'm glad I'm not picky about neck shapes. It opens up a whole lot more guitars for me to enjoy.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    section2 and Merc like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I tried to find a visual picture to help out with the pole. The ones that had D typically didn’t cover as many neck shapes. I can try to edit it to add D. Before I do, does anyone know if it resets all the votes?

B1A15F27-42EC-4BD6-8297-E806F77BE2A3.png

I found it interesting that some different showed the same shape with a different description name, mostly between C and Oval. I also read a lot of confusion started with Fender. Apparently they used to write A letter designation on the neck for the nut width and people started thinking it was the shape of the neck.

3. knh555

knh555 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Perhaps they have reams of days showing it sells well.

Merc likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As I like different neckshapes on diferent types of guitars it is hard to decide.
    Generally I would prefer narrower u-shapes or soft v-shapes over flatter and whider ones.

Merc likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    What I’m getting at is, if the modern C is the most popular neck profile you’d expect Fender to offer sizes either a couple of sizes thinner or thicker. But the modern C allready is the thinnest profile they offer. That doesn’t make sense from a marketing perspective.

It’s not a manufacturing or mechanical issue since Fender does offer smaller neck profiles on Squiers.

Merc likes this.
  6. afire

afire Country Gent

I picked C because I think that's what most vintage Gretsches I've played have had. But I'm not at all picky. The first baseball bat neck I ever had was a relic Nocaster, and it took me no time to warm up to that. Or the similarly beefy neck on my '53 Duo Jet. The only neck I even had that I just couldn't get used to was a weird wide and flat D shaped neck on a '57 Country Gent. Just never felt right to me.

Merc likes this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m sort of surprised the U shape is taking the lead so far and thought for sure it would be a popular “C”. Cool to see what people prefer.

8. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Like @BorderRadio, I love my fat 1” to 1” C for a fender.

I guess I like whatever is the standard C that Gretsch uses. The necks on all 3 of mine feel real good.

Merc likes this.
  9. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Until last summer, I'd have voted for a chunky baseball bat neck. Then I got my 5620T and fell in love with its neck profile, which feels like a Modern Flat U to me. It's very comfortable for playing with my thumb behind the neck.

For barre chords, I do love the Wide Fat neck on my PRS SE 245. The chunky profile and the 10" radius are a dream for rhythm guitar. I'd love it if Gretsch would release an Electromatic with a 10" or 9.5" radius.

Merc likes this.
  10. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I very much like the modern C shape.
    I also feel very comfortable with the U shape. I don't have small hands but I'm not heavy handed. So I like the speed I feel with both of these profiles. Not that I'm a fast player, but I like to get around the neck quickly.

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice