Neck Shapes

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Merc, May 15, 2019.

Favorite neck shape? See first post for image

1. “U” Shape

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Soft “V”

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Oval “C”

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Hard “V”

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Modern Flat Oval

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Medium “V”

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. I can rock any neck as I don’t care

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Necks... we spend so much time in contact with. I thought it’d be interesting to see players preference if they have a favorite.

For the ease of the poll we’ll stick with six basic shapes I pulled from online.

47D9F69A-04FD-4E7C-99F6-9508FD546917.png

The thread was conceived as it took me forever to figure out why my 125th 6118 neck felt so comfortable. But I’ve since realized it has a very soft V shape and I tend to play with my thumb higher. It has to be a soft V or C type for me. Yes, I know one vote above. :)

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Given a choice it would be the C-shape.
    I actually prefer the smaller C on my Squier pencil necks.

Funny thing. I was wondering why some of my necks felt so different in thickness. Measured, and they were exactly the same thickness, it was just the profile that differed. A tactile illusion.

emitex, gretscher09 and Merc like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ... all I know is I prefer a thin neck .

emitex, montereyjack66 and Merc like this.
  4. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    U for me as I have large hands. Anything too thin and I my hand starts cramping up.

savofenno, Merc and larryb like this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Everything between fat U and medium C. The fatter the better tone.

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Modern Flat Oval and Medium V for me.

savofenno and Merc like this.
  7. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Oval “C” for me. I don’t like the feel of any “V”.

Merc likes this.
  8. Yann G

Yann G Electromatic

May 12, 2019
    europe
    Haven't tried that many necks but my TR feels so comfortable and it seems to be a C shape

Merc likes this.
  9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Flat and fat...more of a U shape, I suppose....and while your at it, give me a 12" Radius fretboard:cool:

I still haven't found a Proline with the perfect neck:(....My 2420 Streamliner and Clipper had the best necks of any of the Gretsch's I have owned:cool:

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    BorderRadio, savofenno, Merc and 2 others like this.
  10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I almost threw both the scale length and radius into the poll but thought it beat to keep this one simple. Maybe another poll, another thread one day.

Keep looking brother, you’re bound to find it.

larryb likes this.
  11. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I really like the v neck on my New Yorker

Merc likes this.
  12. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Thin necks for me please

Merc likes this.
  13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I like the Fender Modern C, which seems closest to the Oval-C, as a nice middle of the road neck shape. I like a neck with a little thinner depth. My all-time favorite neck was the Wide-Thin profile on a PRS SE 30th Anniversary Custom 24. Although it wasn't quite the best guitar for me, the neck was a dream to play.

emitex and Merc like this.
  14. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Medium Vs and Oval Cs probably, I like Ds too. Really I can groove on alot of different shapes as long as they have some girth. Flat skinny necks are about the only ones I can't manage to get along w/ consistently.

9.5"/10" is probably the most harmonious radius, but I get along fine w/ 7.25" and 12" as well. Scale I'm good 24" through 27".

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    savofenno and Merc like this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I don't know, in fact... I think that the necks of my guitars (past and present) are probably standard C shape, like I suppose the ones on Gretsch guitars today.

I'm not very pleased with chunky necks like those found on some 60s guitars (no matter the brand) : I don't feel them very comfortable.

That said, I'm probably not very sensitive to neck shape, but rather to guitar weight balance, comfort and stability.

A+!

Merc likes this.
  16. EC Strat

EC Strat Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    Soft V with 9.5” - fits right in the palm of your hand and you can use your thumb on the 6th string

Sid Nitzerglobin and Merc like this.
  17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s why I realized I like soft V’s, my thumb hangs on top at times to fret or sometimes mute the 6th during chords.

18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Fat, 1-inch to 1-inch "C" and "U" necks for me. Also, the Fender 10/56 neck I owned had a soft V at the 1st to 5th, gradually becoming a fat 1-inch C by the 12th---that's a nice neck too. I can still use my thumb on these necks, just more support so less sense of fatigue.

Only necks I really don't like are hard Vs. The best modern Gretsch necks are on the Streamliner series--my G2420 is a chunky oval C/U. The '53 VS Duo Jet is also pretty nice, with some heft as well.

Charlie westside and Merc like this.
  19. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    I don't have large hands so I've tried to use various type necks and can't really say I have a preference other than to try and learn how to play them all. The more adaptable I can be I think the better off I am. I try to focus more on the actual sound the guitar produces but I do understand feel has a lot to do with that too. Maybe as I grow I'll get a neck or two I prefer but for now...love them all.

Charlie westside and Merc like this.
  20. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ve mentioned this before but I find it odd the modern C neck profile is the profile Fender uses most, yet it’s the thinnest Fender offers... Only Squiers have smaller C profiles(maybe Squiers are for the kids?)

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice