NCM&GD! :D

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Mar 23, 2020.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Almost got one of those but ended up with a Crossland instead. A good espresso machine is just one of those things.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  2. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I looked at the Crossland, but settled on the Gaggia purely based on the fact that my dad had a Gaggia machine back in the 80s and I remembered the name. I agree that a good espresso machine is worth its weight in gold. I've had a few bad ones, but that's over forever now.

stevo likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    LOL Every single time...

Sabato and wabash slim like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've been a coffee fanatic for decades---ever since I started working 2nd, 3rd, and double shifts It's more of a necessity than anything else. I really learned about quality coffee when stationed in Europe. In the '50s in the US, the percolator was the primary way to brew (ruin) coffee. The only thing good about them was that they were fun to watch. They work by boiling coffee over and over, ruining it while making it. My folks used a drip system that made a far better brew. They tried the vacuum system, and others, but always went back to the drip.

We now have a Melita, named for the German lady who came up with the conical filter system. I still have my glass Chemex pot, but the automatic system is far simper to use. Keurig is a great system if you only drink one cup, but with multiple coffeeholics, it's the most expensive way to go, and doesn't lend itself to batch brewing at all. Even the guy that invented it admits that it's expensive to use. We'll grind beans on weekends when we have the time, but when I was working double shifts or third shifts, it was the canned stuff. The best I've foiund, that I still use most days, is Choc Full O' Nuts. It's a NYC coffee shop chain, The flavor is a mocha java that never varies, and it's some of the least expensive choices out there. The cheap bags of beans that A&P and Kroger carries aren't too bad if you wait to grind them just before you brew them. I've never been a big fan of espresso either, just because it was either use those fussy little pots, or those outrageously expensive machines that only coffee shops could afford. I looked into opening a coffee shop when I came back from Europe, but it just wasn't economically feasible in the early '70s in Indiana. It worked out in Seattle, tho. I've never cared for Starbucks myself. Maybe it was the pretensious culture, or the fact that they use French roast coffee, which is just overly roasted---burnt. Each to their own taste. I'm more inclined to drink diner/truck stop coffee.

Someone mentioned Navy coffee. Using 50 gallon urns that are never turned off, and they just keep adding more grounds and water. Coffee so strong that it'll raise the dead and dissolve spoons. It's far from the worst that I've had. Instant coffees are usually not too good, and the quarter per cup gick that I've gotten from various machines at hiway stops is even worse. Hands down worst stuff was the coffee my grandson's school served for parents day. Maybe they should've taken the squirrel carcasses out first, or pilled last years leaves out of the filter, but it was the most horrendous swill I've ever had in my mouth. One sip was more than enough.

I'm not into "flavors"---especially that come out of a bottle of chemicals at a gas station. My wife and daughter like the fancy flavored creamers. I just need a spoonful of sugar and I'm good to go. I'll try coffees from all around the world. Coffee's history is fascinating.

I'll happily have a cuppa joe with anyone here, by the way. It is the best way to start your day.

capnhiho and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  5. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I know someone who owns many Dunkin Donuts and he said the money is in coffee, forget the food!

Henry likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Gaggia's been making that one for a while - it's proven.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well, no one goes to Dunkin Donuts for the food! The coffee is actually decent, although not sure, I only order espresso double shots. :)

8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I'll never forget the JP film on my skin after a shower when I was on the carrier. Jet Propellant, for those who don't know, is basically kerosene.

stormsedge likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I am not as patient as you all. I just buy chocolate-covered espresso beans! 5 or 6 of those and I am good for hours. I consume a lot fo caffeine and if I miss my monster a couple of days I get a headache but three or four beans take it right away.

10. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Seems like there are two camps in the coffee-drinker world: Dunkin vs Starbucks. I don't like Dunkin, I like dark roast. I like bitter things, beer, dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee. I read once that those who like bitter tastes are psychopaths, so watch out!
    https://www.health.com/food/black-coffee-psychopath

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well, that would explain a lot! :p

Seriously, what idiot correlates a preference for flavours to psychological traits?

What about the cultural aspect? A mild “Bitter” is an acquired taste to the Western palate(coffee, beer, broccoli, chocolate), while in Asia and Africa it has long been considered a palatable compliment to sweet, salt and sour, or one that can pretty much stand on it’s own. Try some bitter melon.

Sabato likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I know a guy who uses an air popcorn popper and buys Un-roasted beans then uses it to roast them. He sent me some beans he got from India he light roasted twice. OMG what a treat to have fresh made coffee beans! It really ruined me on coffee for awhile.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Ricochet and Sabato like this.
  13. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Never underestimate the number of idiots with PHDs....

Ricochet likes this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Way back in the early '90s I was a computer consultant at a PC superstore (Micro Center) where there was always a pot of coffee going and I'd drink usually about 6-8 (maybe 8oz) cups a shift.

Then on my days off I'd get terrible migraine headaches, every single time. Head-pounding, light hurt my eyes, can't function headaches.
    I checked my apartment for vapors or chemicals or anything abnormal and saw my doctor who couldn't find anything wrong. Excedrin was the only pain reliever that helped much.
    One day stumbled onto an article about caffeine addiction and discovered that all the coffee I drank while working was the problem; I was seriously addicted! On days off I'd only drink about 12-16 0unces in the morning. And that Excedrin worked so well because...it has caffeine in it!!!
    So I cut way back and fixed the problem. Today I still love my coffee and drink decaf after noon.

Bertotti likes this.
  15. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Made the same discovery in about the same way, Sunday headache, why? Oh. I never could drink coffee after a certain hour else it would keep me from sleeping.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have to be careful because during the busy season I could be on the go 16 hours a day and tend to drink the mister because it is zero sugar. I only buy the stuff using erythitol, and love the taste but yea it is loaded with caffeine.

17. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Bertotti likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The military lived on caffeine when I was in. I’m some studies I have read in women caffeine is a problem as it can interact with some female hormones and leach calcium from the body. Don’t need premature osteoporosis but in men it had positive effect to an extent the issue was it also caused sleep issues which indirectly connects it to issues made worse by sleep deprivation. I limit my caffeine to before 1500.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice