NCM&GD! :D

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Mar 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Picked up a couple of vital pieces of sanity maintaining equipment yesterday & got to put them through their paces this morning w/ great results. Happy new coffee maker & grinder day to me!
    [​IMG]
    It's a Cuisinart Black Stainless Collection 12 cup model w/ an individual cup side that allows use of either K cups or loading your own into the included reusable pod. I thought it was nice that it included gold mesh filters for both the big basket & the single cup pod. Also nice is the integrated charcoal water filters (although I'm skipping them since I only use distilled spring water) & the BOLD setting (because that's how I roll).

The grinder is some brand I'd never heard of, but seems solid & capable of turning the frozen whole beans to a nice uniform espresso fine ground. Could be a little larger capacity, but hey it works...

I wasn't sure how the frozen 5 year old beans would work out but damn if the combo hasn't made quite a fine pot of coffee for me today :)

I've been pretty much fully reliant on Starbucks to feed my caffeine monkey for the last 4 or 5 years & as they closed one after another over the past week I started getting pretty anxious.

Anywho, slow news day for me & figured I'd share.... Thanks for taking a look :D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020 at 12:32 PM
  2. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    All I do these days is slap a Starbuck French roast K-cup into the Keurig and off we go, but I used to be quite a coffee aficionado. Before the Starbucks chain bought them out there was a store in Boston called the Coffee Connection. While in college my buddies used to say, "There he goes, off to score some beans." But they taught me all about making good coffee, I had the grinder, the chemex filter, glass carafe, the works.
    The 2nd best set up I had was the drip maker that made the coffee into a thermos carafe, no overheated overcooked ruined coffee.
    Good luck with your new rig!

blueruins and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks! Brewing an 8 cup pot this morning it seems like it should work out well for me assuming I can keep up w/ the cleaning. I'm gonna try the single cup side tomorrow & see how that goes.

I've resisted the K-cup thing so far & it became much easier to just grab a 6 shot white mocha OMW to wherever my first stop of the day was than to remember to clean the maker at home every night & brew a small pot every morning before I needed to get out the door. The reusable single cup pod seems like it should be a great & much more sensible option for me.

I wish you could still get the Arabian Mocha Sanani beans from Starbucks, those were my favorites (edit: hmmm, noticing that Peet's has some for about $10 more per lb. than I used to pay, might be worth a shot though...) The Christmas blend works pretty good for me though, although strangely I'm noticing a big uptick in jittery-ness drinking the straight coffee vs. the white mochas w/ copious espresso shots. My sister still gives me a pound of it every year & w/ my previous machine giving up the ghost several years ago I've about 4.5 pounds of the intervening vintages to go through in the freezer :)

4. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Espresso here. I bought two bags of beans last week because I knew I would be consuming more than normal!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  5. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I used to have a coffee maker in my office and make two pots a day. My co-workers would all come around and I asked for twenty-five cents a mug. I was buying Starbucks at the time for upwards of $12/lb and that was a real long time ago. Turns out that even at $0.25/cup I was bringing in about three times what I spent. Imagine what Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks shops profit is like. And don't get me started on booze in bars!!!

Bertotti and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I was on the fence of finally just getting an espresso machine for home since it looks like it would maybe be practical for me on the week days being stuck at home & full remote from the day job. Maybe if I can clear out some space & find a good white mocha syrup it would be good to have for the weekends at least...

I don't think I've ever had a great cup of regular brewed coffee from Starbucks (usually winds up either old &/or burnt tasting to me) but there's something just wholy right about a well prepared venti 6 shot, skim, no whip white mocha from them for me. I've generally been very happy w/ the whole bean from them too.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    stevo likes this.
  7. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    First time I went to a Starbucks I asked for a regular black coffee and the "barista" came back with something that sounded like latin, grande venti schmenti..... so I pointed and said, "I want THAT coffee in THAT cup". Sheesh.

new6659, stevo and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  8. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm a hard-core Nespresso fan. How hard-core, you ask? They had me beta-test a new unit once. Well, that was because I worked for the parent company, but still. When asked about Keurig once, a Nestle executive said "Well, it LOOKS like coffee." No disrespect to Keurig users, I'll drink that if it's what's available, but if I run out of capsules, I'll switch to pouring hot water over ground coffee, that's about as good as it gets.

blueruins and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    But you don't have to pay rent, labor, utilities, insurance, taxes . . . .

10. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    Pretty fancy gear there! I pickup the cheapos...Mr. Coffee or BDecker and cook them until they die:rolleyes:.

11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Speaking of sanity maintaining, my company literally locked the doors and made us all work from home. Only critical production/on-air staff are allowed in the building. So I got myself a thing or two:

- I just got an extra cushion for my chair. One day a week was fine to work from home. But 5x8 in this chair is brutal.
    - Went out and picked up a 34" monitor early on. Lifesaver.
    - My webcam doesn't work well, so I started thinking I would buy a new one. After all, how many people actually need one? Apparently, some guy needed them all. They're 100% sold out in local stores and most of the ones you would want are also sold out on Amazon, BestBuy, NewEgg, MicroCenter etc. So much for an original idea...

12. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Turns out, Mr. Coffee makes a darn good cup of coffee.

13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yeah, I've had pretty equally good results w/ my previous Mr. Coffee or the up til yesterday most recent Krupps one. Assuming equal longevity, the key hardware related difference has been using a gold mesh filter for me so far. This one had me since it included everything I had an interest in in one package (well, aside from including a grinder) & I'm a fan of black brushed stainless bling :oops: :cool:

I'm in the same boat as far as my home office (aside from the monitors, I've had a nice pair of 2.5K IPS 27" panels for a while). My setup of a plastic top folding banquet table from Target & 2.5 decade old office chair (which was nice when I first got it but not too good any more) is causing me some serious knee & back distress when I'm sitting at it for 9.5-12 hours almost uninterrupted as opposed to the usual 2-4 hours of remote mornings that was the MO.

Ideally I'd grab an Aeron like I've got at the office & a convertible sitting/standing setup, but we'll see if I can find them available somewhere... Probably an almost equally effective solution would be to self-enforce hourly 5 minute walkabouts that I usually hear as the responsible ergonomic guidelines but we'll see.

I'm going to try to get away sans camera as long as I can, I know I've got a fairly low res Logtitech one from several years ago that should be floating around somewhere if I get too many complaints. Worst case I make a trip out to the office some day here to grab the one from my desk along w/ my work laptop.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020 at 3:53 PM
    stormsedge and stevo like this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Im a Mr. Coffee guy myself . I always keep a spare one in the attic , so when the one in the kitchen burns out .... I'm ready . Always need my coffee .
    But use guyz aint neva had a cup of coffee until you get it from some bodego in The Bronx . Now honey ...... that's good coffee ;)

stormsedge and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, I've been thinking about getting a percolator. We've been French pressing for a while.

16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I tried the french press thing for a while & really liked the flavor but always wound up w/ a bunch of sludge in the bottom of my cup w/ how fine I like to grind the beans & couldn't find a press w/ a mesh that wouldn't let it through. It's kind of nice in its simplicity & how it works off grid to be sure. Although the trail buddies would rag on me for it, I was all in when I found a backpacking stove setup that included a french press in the full system, they always wanted some of my coffee over their instant packets too :D

17. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, I didn't want to fork out for an Aeron because no one has used ones cheaply anywhere right now. But it is what I have at work and it's an all day/no pain kind of chair.

18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yeah, no swamp butt in the summer either :) Still bummed I didn't snatch one of the multitudes available after the .com bust....

stevo likes this.
  19. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I had a Cuisinart coffee machine for almost 20 years until it finally gave up the ghost about a year ago. Now I have a machine that I HATE so I tend to use my new Gaggia Classic espresso machine most days instead. It's cool because when I don't feel like grinding beans and going through the whole packing ritual, it will take ESE pods which you can just throw in the basket and go and they taste nearly as good as the fresh stuff.

Gaggia.jpg

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    The only thing my coffee is missing from good ole Navy coffee is the oil sheen on top, from following the carrier when she's stripping tanks...the evaps/distillers could never quite get it all.

wabash slim and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice