Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NCD... New Capo Day!!!

Discussion in 'Gretschtogether' started by Crooner, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Okay... not so sexy, but what with all the acoustic work I'm doing lately, I needed a new capo as the crappy one I've been using forever is your run of the mill model. Tuning issues, non-matching radius thus causing too much pressure on the outer strings and less on the inner, or vice-versa. So I looked into all the various models and stumbled upon Thalia Capos.

[​IMG]
    Each Thalia comes with a full set of radius inserts to match every conceivable neck. They snap in place easily and even come in two materials - rubber and teflon. The rubber is what you're used to, the Teflon allows a bit of slippage to the strings. Personally, I like the rubber, but I can see how some like the teflon.

Another major plus is the amazing ease with with these capos attach and keep your guitar in perfect tune. They come in different finishes with a slew of exotic wood and stone inlays.

I'm not an endorsee and have no affiliation with Thalia, but thought you folks might want to check them out. If you join the mailing list you get updates on B-Stock sales ands other promos.

Happy Capo'ing!

https://www.thaliacapos.com

Telechamp, NJDevil and GVDobler like this.
  2. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    I have one of these, they are the best capo I've ever used!! Congrats!

Telechamp likes this.
  3. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Getting one for my wife's brother.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I did a thread on this back in Sept. '16 and thought my thread got resurrected for a moment . :p @Crooner is 100% correct . It is by far the best capo out there . I love mine so much that at the time , I offered my Kyser to anyone who wanted it free and I was paying postage . Funny thing , nobody took me up on it . ( oh well ) ...
    After getting my 12 string I keep telling myself I need to purchase another Thalia . I looked on their web sight and was happy to see that their 12 string friendly now . First thing I noticed which my Thalia is how it does keep your guitar in perfect tune . I put it on the 2nd fret , played an open G chord and the low E string was perfect ( you know that sound it makes with those other capo's ) Sure , a little pricey , but worth every nickel . Thanks Crooner

Telechamp likes this.
  5. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Just curious: do you people verify with a tuner, or by ear?

I have two Thalias and found the low tension option worked best.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Not sure of the question ... I guess I just verify by ear . I do not retune after placing capo on the neck .

7. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Nice Crooner and +100 for reminding me that I can't find my capo and more than half of my playing is acoustic....it's only when I sit down to play do I say "oh that's right, I keep on forgetting!"

8. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    My gosh - $60+ for a capo. I like my $25 Shubb even better. I have to admit, I am tempted as this looks like a good design.

9. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    FYI, I just got an e-mail from Thalia that they're having a sale on B-stock models with Celtic etching. They're offering up to 50% off. I'm not sure If it's kosher for me to post this offer here, so if anyone would like the link, please PM me.

10. I like the Thalia Capo,, but wish it was smaller like the G7 performance 2 capo.

thunder58 likes this.
  11. Telechamp

Telechamp Synchromatic

Oct 20, 2010
    Florida
    I really like my Thalia capo. As mentioned, it works great and has various inserts for different guitar neck shapes and widths.

Not cheap, but glad I got mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Amen to your kudos for Thalia capos Crooner. I bought a couple of their capos during a B-stock sale, and could find no reason for the B-stock designation. Their standards are apparently much higher than mine, which is laudable. A few years back, I moved to Shubb capos, and still consider them very good capos. After I got my first 2 Thalia Capos, I AB'ed the new Thalias with the Shubbs, and although I would say quality of both is high, but the Thalia capos got a slight edge from me in tone and sustain.

BTW, I just went to the Thalia website and ordered a B-stock Celtic etched capo for my son-in-law, since he just bought a new acoustic guitar. I'll wrap it up and look forward to seeing his face on Christmas morning, since I'm headed there for Christmas. While I was there, I also ordered Teflon inserts to give them a try.

This is the one I got for my son-in-law:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

thunder58, stevo and audept like this.
  13. JHall55

JHall55 Synchromatic

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
    I was severely tempted by their 1/2 price sale...even had two of them the “cart”. In the end I couldn’t get past the etching, I like them much better plain. Maybe next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I completely understand that, and if my son-in-law feels the same way, I'll have a second Thalia capo with me to make sure he is happy. My feeling about the etching was that I bet not a lot of people would have one like it. If I remember the info correctly, they did the Celtic etched capos as a discounted promo capo for Black Friday, and they had some left over. A few of the different styles sold out, after I got mine.

15. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Stevo , believe me it's the best capo I ever used and like I said , I offered my Kyser FREE to anyone who wanted it and I'll pay the postage ( not one taker , oh well )
    I need to order one for my new MartinD12-28 . I have the same as @Telechamp and I'll be getting a duplicate . ( don't take this the wrong way but ... ) $60 for the Thalia really is not a lot when you think about it . We have no problem spending 12,13,14, $1500 or even $2000 on a guitar or $200 on a stomp box . I think you'll be very happy with it

LivingMyDream likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Great point. I'd be nervous putting a clamp on a nice guitar, make sure it's a good one!

thunder58 likes this.