NBID!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Jan 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    or New Bargain Ibanez Day!

I've picked this one up a few times in recent months, triggered by fond memories of a trans cherry one I used to have, & w/ the price & subsequent arrival of some Gear Card rewards I could resist no longer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's an Ibanez RC320 w/ a set of Planet Waves locking tuners retro fit to it. Seems in pretty great condition aside from a fairly decent ding on the low side of the waist of the top & a bunch of hand prints.

My assessment is pretty much the same as what I thought of the Trans Cherry one I had bought new years ago & subsequently put a B5 on before deciding to unload it for some stupid reason: It's a really well put together, comfy guitar w/ a nice feel to it, a great feeling semi-chunky neck, a fairly nice recessed & locking stock bridge, & really surprisingly good sounding stock HBs.

I can't justify this one on a "need" basis by any means, but combining a tag price of $230 & $140 off by way of GC rewards & a coupon, I went ahead and grabbed it. It looks like I picked the exact right time to finally give in to this one too, as they came looking for it for an online sale while I was in the process of checking out.

I'm thinking I may drop in the english mount TVJ Classic +/Classic pickups I pulled out of my ProJet before putting it up for sale a couple months ago accompanied by a rewire w/ a blower switch on a push/pull for the tone pot if for no other reason than it bothers me that the pickups have been sitting idle ;) They'll probably sound pretty cool in there too I'm guessing :D

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Sid!

At that price it would've been silly not too!;)

Jeff67 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congrats Sid , very cool . And yes , at that price !!!! it even came with a case :rolleyes:

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, cool looking guitar. Do I understand the math and this was $90?!

5. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Lessee... lunch for a week or two, or a new guitar that has been tempting, and evokes fond memories? SOLD! No justification needed. Well done!

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Another winner! Congrats!

7. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    TBH I'm no Ibanez fan, not even of their hollow bodies but the shape of that 320 is pretty cool, throw in some tv's and maybe a bigsby? and you could be onto something!
    and for peanuts.
    what is the neck profile like, not one of those anorexic super fast shreddy types is it?
    can't stand them things. But hopfully that's got a nice tele style chunky neck on it, mind you what ever it is, so long as you find it comfortable and playable eh.
    superb!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks, that's kind of where I wound up landing myself :)

Well no case, but we'll forgive it since it wound up costing ~$30 less than the Gator bag I grabbed for it at the same time... ;)

Hehe, yup, kinda nuts. Granted ~$130 of the discount was rewards from other purchases, but it sure wound up feeling like a pretty crazy deal for a pretty sweet guitar.

Thanks! Yeah, I often tend to think of these things relative to my morning Starbucks visit. This one wound up about a week of over priced caffeine & egg sandwiches so it really was a pretty easy decision.

I've liked some of their stuff (had a killer mid 70s lawsuit LP, still have a mid 70s lawsuit tele, really like the '96 Talman I grabbed last year, & both of the RC320s I've had), but am not a fan of the shredders either. I can't deal w/ the super skinny flat necks of the RGs/Jems/etc. & am generally not a fan of Floyd type bridges & overly pointy aesthetics. The neck on these is a nice medium V shape w/ a fairly decent amount of depth at the nut smoothing to a moderate C by the time you get to the 12th fret & a roomy 1 11/16" nut width so it's very comfy for me. It's got a super smooth & frictionless satin poly finish that works out great too.

9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats Sid!

Ibanez makes some very nice guitars. I know because an AM-93 followed me home after I played it just once in the store.

10. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
  11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Wound up plugging this one in when I finally made my way to the bedroom last night intending to take a quick spin through the Class5 & before I knew it an hour had gone by, so it must do something right for me :D

I dropped in the TVJ Classic +/Classic english mount set at the shop tonight:
    [​IMG]
    I was surprised to find they fit, albeit snuggly, into the stock metal HB rings. The gaps to the fore & aft bother me a bit, even w/ the TVJ EM1 flat plastic rings sandwiched under the stock rings, but overall I think it's a win for me aesthetically. It's too early to give a meaningful read on the sounds, but initial 15 minutes or so of noodles post install were encouragingly tasty. Enough so I booked a window w/ my luthier friend this Saturday to get him to make a bone nut for it w/ ~ 1mm narrower spacing & give it an expert once over generally :)

As much as I'd like a wiggly bit on here, I really kind of enjoy what they did w/ the dual locking recessed bridge & saddles & the string through w/ a bit of behind the bridge string on top. I think I'd probably go for a couple of sets of tailpiece bushings hosting a Towner bar & a Les Trem II like I did on my Six Gun if I did add a tailpiece here, but we'll see.

Anyone ever try one of these?
    https://performancemusic.co/product/moslike-vibrato-and-bridge-assembly-mosrite-style-vibrato/
    [​IMG]

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Spent a couple hours w/ this one through the Box of Rock into the Class 5 last night & the TVJs seem to be getting along swimmingly in there. It's got a similar kind of great rude crunch as the ProJet did w/ this set installed, but better clarity & detail overall & a bit more pop/snap to it. The cleans really grab me too. I think they'll be staying in this guitar for the forseeable future :)

Hopefully I can get started on the rewire this evening:
    [​IMG]

Merc and T Bone like this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Congrats on your new acquisition, Sid.

14. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I wired up most of the harness last night & pulled the stock one & installed the new when I got to the shop this evening. The metal FilterTron rings I ordered from GFS earlier in the week arrived today so I mounted them up & fitted new bling bits to the new pots & switch as well:
    [​IMG]
    The knobs will get swapped over for chrome plated versions of the same thing as soon as they arrive & I'll likely lose the nice but a bit too much on here bling ring for the switch as soon as I get a replacement switch in there that doesn't require a ring. The GFS rings fit both the guitar & the pickups great & the plating seems nicely done.

I reversed the normal of the push/pull when I made my diagram for the rewire but it probably makes more sense to have the bypassed position be the default for me anyways & there's better volume taper, a good bit less idle noise, a much more solid & smooth feel to the controls, & the added bite of the blower switch on tap, so mission accomplished there :)

The urge for vibrato on here has overcome my appreciation for the hard tail config over the past couple days of playing it, & after some measurements & scheming I decided to try the MosLike setup & ordered one of these this afternoon:
    https://performancemusic.co/product/moslike-vibrato-and-bridge-assembly-mosrite-style-tremolo/
    I'm figuring I'll need to make a 1/4" deep drop-in base for the stock bridge recess & a flat 1/4" neck pocket shim based on the advertised dimensions for the bridge & tailpiece. Hopefully I can make it work well in a mostly reversible fashion on here, otherwise the Mach IV is practically begging for it & I can use its Les Trem on here :cool:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    JeffreyLeePierre and blueruins like this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Cool stuff. I think it might also look great with a Burns vibrato clone.

16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Definitely :) I was thinking Tremar maybe too but haven't run into any where to grab a non-vintage one of either.

Ricochet likes this.
  17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My luthier friend made a bone nut for this one this evening & got it setup w/ a set of NYXL .010-.046 & on a lark I tried a set of Hipshot hex style satin buttons on the tuners (turns out they fit better than the stock ones :) ):
    [​IMG]
    As I've become accustomed to after getting a guitar back from him, it feels at least 25% more great now, combining a smooth active feel to the action with just the right degree of effort required for clean fretting.

On the aesthetic front I'm toying w/ the idea of maybe de-glossing the chrome rings & sticking w/ the aluminium bell knobs & satin buttons as I'm getting a feeling it might be chrome overload when the tailpiece gets on there, but we'll have to see.

It's turning out to be a really inspiring & great to play guitar for me in feel & sounds. Hopefully I can manage to get a vibrato on there that continues to improve that feeling one way or another. The MosLike is already in town w/ USPS today & scheduled for delivery Monday, so I won't have to wait too long to do some more useful assessment of if it can work on here or not :)

Merc likes this.
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The MosLike came in today & it all looks nicely machined/cast & plated for the most part, feels like nice & substantial metal as well :) The bridge seems particularly impressive in its mass, tolerances & smoothness of operation of the rollers.
    [​IMG]
    Only surprise is the graduated height string through holes on the pivot of the tailpiece:
    [​IMG]
    I'm also realizing I'll likely wind up needing to mount at least the lowest 1/8" of the bridge bushings into the body proper

I'm planning to lay this out on the guitar on Wednesday evening when I'm back to the shop next & see if my plan needs to change any.

Merc and Jeff67 like this.
  19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    After pulling the bridge on Wednesday I decided to audible to using the stock bridge bushings & the stock roller bridge off of my Silver Jet on here.

I pulled the top string ferrules tonight, laid down some tape & tried to get things positioned:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm planning to mount up the tailpiece, make the neck shim, & put it all back together again tomorrow.

ramjac, Waxhead, Merc and 3 others like this.
  20. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Sure will look good with all your mods.
    Congratulations on the great deal and having detected its possibilities.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice