NBD! JMJ Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've been lusting after these since a customer brought his in for a setup a couple of months ago and I finally ordered one of my own earlier this week. It arrived at the local store this morning and I swung by and picked it up at lunch. Here are some not particularly great cell pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I only gave this particular one a 5-10 minute test spin through a BA-210 in the noisy store to make sure the electronics weren't DOA, but the one that triggered my coveting of these was really impressive sounding in my slightly more extensive time w/ it. Both have a great feel and seem like an absolute blast to play.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it came w/ a Fender "Deluxe" gig bag rather than it just riding bareback in the shipping box as the Sam Ash product page had it advertised. I ordered one of the Fender G&G Mustang/Bronco hard cases for it at the same time as the bass but it might be a bit before I get it since it's a special order from Fender.

I'm probably going to get my luthier friend to do an unbleached bone nut for it on Saturday (assuming I don't somehow decide I hate it and am sending it back in the interim, which seems highly unlikely) just because I'm goofy like that. Otherwise I can't really see much I'd think of changing on here other than swapping for some form of straplock buttons and maybe trying a different set of flats if the stock Fender ones turn out to not be all that I could hope for w/ further playtime.

As a bonus, I had a couple of cool straps that hadn't quite caught for me on other instruments yet, I think they could both work pretty good on here, what do you guys think?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks again for taking a look!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Sid,cool lookin' wee bass sir!

I like the blue with the white stripe myself.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks!

I was kind of leaning that way as well strap-wise even if the other one seems like the blue bits are a bit more of a direct color match to the body.

4. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Gretschie

May 1, 2014
    Whitby Ontario
    Sweet. Sure you will like that bass, and I agree the plain blue with the white stripe looks cool.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I have a Japanese-made Mustang which I absolutely love. It’s a great sounding bass.

section2 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

I got to spend an hour or so w/ it through the PF50T>PF115 before some after hours day job work I had on the slate for tonight and it's definitely feeling like a keeper.

With these strings it seems a bit more limited to old school/classic bass sounds than my other short scale bass the Wattplower. A/B-ing w/ the Wattplower, I think the Reverend will be the bass of preference for the more aggressive and punchier sounds, but for the low and warm but still fairly focused stuff the Mustang is sounding great. It's got some awesome faux vintage mojo going for it sonically w/ some very nice differentiation in character from the Guild B-301 which was my previous go to for those kinds of sounds so I doubt they'll feel sonically redundant to me. I probably should reserve semi-final judgement of the Mustang in stock form until I drag the PF210 back up to the music room and try it through the full stack and some fuzz/drive though. Output seems to sit in a very nice sweet spot where it matches the Wattplower w/ TI Short Scale Jazz rounds on it (which I'm thinking probably means the Duncan pup in the Mustang has significantly higher output than the P-blade, but I've never used the Fender flats before so [​IMG]).

So far it's seeming like a great buy to me and I'm grooving pretty hard on its overall vibe [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    section2 likes this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    A couple of weeks ago, Cactus Andy, bassist extraordinaire of The Lug Nuts, showed up for rehearsal and promptly busted a string on his Hofner Club Bass. I lent him my Mustang and was really enjoying the sounds it produced. It’s sort of a P-Bass Jr. with the same basic sound as it’s big brother.

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Today I put some convertible straplock buttons I got from Rockinger on this one, gave the neck a good polishing w/ Legends, and my luthier friend made a new bone nut for it and worked his usual setup magic on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The nut turned out to be lighter in color after shaping and polishing than the blank led me to expect, but it works great as usual and it plays absolutely amazingly for me now :) He brought the action down substantially and it's got a smooth medium-slinky feel. As long as I'm fretting cleanly there's nary a buzz to be found and w/ the reduced effort required, clean fretting w/ my ham hand is a fairly reliable proposition. It might be too low for slap, but I'm pretty much a finger style guy w/ the occasional pop or thump and a pick only for songs that just don't sound right w/o one at this point.

I'm really liking those buttons. They're similar to the concept of the standard Gretsch buttons, but it seems like due to the larger size of the caps I feel like the bass will be pretty darn secure using a strap w/o locks on its ends while still being free to rotate on the button. The caps are also a lot easier to handle and unscrew/screw in than the Gretsch ones. Taking the cap off allows you to use any Schaller compatible strap end locks w/ them. They weren't exactly cheap, but still cheaper than retail on a full set of the Schallers.

I've started to notice some minor single coil noise under drive last night and today and it doesn't look like it got any shielding in the cavities so I'll probably do that sometime in the near future. I also discovered that they went a bit cheaper on the wiring than some of my previous nicer MiMs, and while the electronics seem to function just fine, I'll probably wind up doing a full rewire w/ good cloth pushback, Emerson/CTS pots, a corksniffer cap, and a Switchcraft jack sometime as well just because I think the bass deserves it ;)

The more I play this one the more I get the feeling it won't be going anywhere for a really long time :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    section2 likes this.
  9. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Beautiful! I love the look and the sound of Mustang basses. Here's one of my all-time favourite basslines, played by the wonderful Chris Murphy on his trusty Mustang:

I've seen him play this bassline live while singing that giant mouthful of lyrics at the same time. He somehow makes it look easy.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    In 1975 I bought a new Mustang bass - loved it but got rid of it - bad move. So in 1982 i bought a used 1965 mustang bass for $125. best money I've ever spent on a guitar. I've used it to record 90% of my bass parts since 1982. the other 10% was split up between a 1976 Rickenbacker 2001 & a Ibanez 5 string. The Mustang is a great recording bass. I use Pyramid flat woulds on it and it sounds a lot like McCartney's Violin bass and can get that old Motown vibe too.
    It's got simply electronics and the sound is very smooth and balanced. Fits in the mix very well. Bill Wyman of the Stones used one for a while.
    It's also a fun bass to play. It's not for slapping or heavy metal banging but if the song calls for a full in your face sound the Mustang will do that perfectly. I play it through an old 60's Bassman amp and also DI it through a Marshall JPM 1 preamp into an 1176 compressor - killer sound.

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Spent some time digging around in the parts bins yesterday & whipped up a simple layout for the impending rewire of this one:
    [​IMG]
    I might get to the shielding and rewire tonight if I can get motivated enough to clean off my bench after I get home....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019