NBD, a kinda unique (& awesome IMO) one :D

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, May 15, 2020.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I got a bit over enthusiastic w/ some popping on my Jumbo Jr. bass this afternoon & lost its G string &, being that it's turned out to be a long needed & welcome source of musical inspiration for me over the past few days & the music stores opening up again earlier in the week, I swung by to see if they had some on hand at one of the local stores after I logged out from the day job.

Turned out the local Sam Ash had a set (Yay!), & also 3 (!) new Ric 4003 variants. I was fairly certain this one was going to end up coming home w/me at first look, the test drive through a BA110 just reinforced that feeling, & the fact that my favorite salesguy there was working pretty much sealed it.

Long, boring, introduction out of the way, I present to you my new 2020 4003S in what I believe they call Cieloglo w/ what so far seems to be a heretofore unseen config for a 4003S:
    [​IMG]
    So far I've been able to find a small range of Rics using this finish color, but no 4003S s & so far I haven't been able to finger any other flavor of 4003 that comes w/ both the maple board & Schaller roller bridge:
    [​IMG]
    Our best guess was that they were a Sam Ash exclusive limited run, but based on the salesguy's comment that it came in the day before lockdown was enacted, it seems pretty weird that Sam Ash doesn't have any page for it. I have absolutely zero doubt its genuine, just kind of piques my curiosity when I can't pin down a specific run of a comtemporary instrument to a fairly high degree of confidence after a good 45 minutes of searching the intrawebs .

I still haven't plugged it into my main rig yet, but so far I think it will fit perfectly w/ its new low end producing brethren that were already members of the household. The neck is very comfortable to me, the 1st fret reach is just about perfect, & it seems like it's my 2nd lightest solid body bass w/ maybe just a tad more mass than the Wattplower (I'm guessing the Ric is maybe in the 8.5-8.75lb neighborhood). Its natural balance point is absolutely solid at around 20-25 degrees above parallel & it'll sit at steeper angle w/o too much readjustment on a frictionless nylon back 1" strap. Seem to offer really enjoyable resonance through the neck & wings & it's a great multi-sensory experience playing it unplugged.

It will probably get some different strings (stock ones seem pretty darn fresh but I'm thinking might be a bit heavier on the low side & rough in texture for me), but right off the wall it was a super comfy & smooth bass for me, only improved on when my luthier friend gave it a quick 15 minute whispering session when I brought it over to the shop.

Not too much more on the useful impressions front to share right now, but I think we're going to get along great at this point :D

Thanks for taking a look!

JC higgy, G5422T, RG7X and 19 others like this.
  2. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Gretschie

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Spectacular!

5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Totally beautiful

6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congratulations.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Congrats Sid - I've never played a Rick bass and yours look great :)

9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

I put a set of NYXL .045-.100 round wounds on it yesterday & while I'll probably order a set of TI Jazz rounds for my next set of strings on this one, the NYXLs work nicely so far. Gauge stayed the same on the 1st string, ~.005 thicker on the 2nd & 3rd, & .005 lighter on the 4th. I'd say they are notably smoother in tactile texture & bending/fretting action for me than the stock set. Overall the tension seems a good bit more even too. It seemed to tame a bit of the enormous bass on the E w/ while sharpening the clarity of the sonic texture.

I've given it several hours of play w/ a bit of A/B ing w/ my other basses through the Portaflex stack & I think if I had to thin the herd of solid body basses by 50% I'd likely be keeping the Ric & the Mustang (although I don't see that happening anytime soon ;) ):
    [​IMG]
    It took some additional tweaking of the low mids & lows on the amp &/or pedals from where they've been happiest for me dialed for the other basses, but man, just a bunch of glorious sounds from this thing for my tastes & the over all experience is very inspiring so far :D I plan to spend some more time this afternoon getting somewhat surgical w/ the ParaEQ to optimize the low end a bit further. This has been my first experience w/ a Ric through my own stuff in a controlled environment & most surprising to me so far is how much low end is on tap w/ this bass in any of the pickup selections. I've been really enjoying the middle position w/ the bridge wide open & dialing the blend of the neck to taste w/ the bridge position acting as a nice switch flippable option for more aggressive tone & the neck for a surprisingly tasty warmer/rounder/mellower vibe.

I'd also revise my previous weight ranking to put this one in a virtual tie w/ the B-301 as the heaviest feeling bass I've got, but that still leaves it as very manageable for me & nowhere near Peavey T-40 territory ;)

I'm pretty surprised at how little of an issue the pickup cover has presented so far, I had expected it to go bye bye right away if I ever wound up owning a 4000 bass. Might be a different story if I find I want use a pick &/or palm mute on it, but it's winding up fairly unobtrusive for me for finger style which is just about the only way I play.

Thanks for that! Didn't even think to check RIC's Facebook :oops:

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Hubba hubba!!!
    Gorgeous!

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    After a good bit more time w/ this one over the weekend w/ the NYXLs, I was feeling they're maybe a bit too "stringy"/zingy sounding for me & just a bit too floppy for my lack of finesse when rocking. I was surprised to see the long scale TI Jazz rounds only come in one really light gauge (w/ a .092 4th string...) & I've been feeling I overplay the NYXLs as is quite a bit so decided I'd order a couple of novel to me options to try out on here on Monday afternoon.

Props to Strings & Beyond & the USPS, as the pricing was quite good & they arrived ~48 hours later:
    [​IMG]
    It will certainly be a more cost effective option than the TIs if one of these sets turns out to do the trick for me, both sets together were about half as much as one set of the Jazz rounds would have run. Hopefully one of these will hit the sweet spots of tactile & sonic texture, a slightly more old school sound, & even-ish & moderate tension that doesn't kill my joints but will stand up to the combo of some over exuberance & suck I'm prone to :)

Now, which ones go on 1st ? Hmmm... :confused:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  12. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats, looks good. Like the colour.

13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Finally forced myself to decide which string set I was going to try on here first & I'll admit the tie break was when I wound up reading the Rotosounds had blue silk wraps. Well, maybe that & the picture of John Entwistle & John How on the back of the string pack :)
    [​IMG]
    They did indeed wind up looking very nice to me & sound pretty darn good so far. They might go a little too far on the string tension & 4th string thickness for me but I think I'll probably just leave these on & get along on my process of not sucking as badly ;)

Groutsch and sgarnett like this.
  14. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Nice find! Congratulations.

My Streamliner 2420T was built in late 2019 but is still the 2016 configuration. I’ve seen others built several months earlier in the new configuration. I’ve wondered if there are any subtle transitional oddities that I’ve missed.

15. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Beautiful bass. Seriously, one of the best I've seen. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back?

16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks man! Given a 4003 has been an aspirational GAS target for some years now, seeing this spec one up on the wall my first trip to a music store in almost 3 months, it was kind of a done deal at first site for me :D Wound up getting out the door w/ it at just under $1800 w/ the EMP discount my sales guy applied w/o me asking for it .

RG7X likes this.
  17. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    How did i miss this!

Congrats Sid ,beautiful bass that sir.:cool:

18. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Damn... You're killing me. That's a great find and price. If uh... you happen to see another one, let me know :)

19. Kbrittain

Kbrittain Electromatic

May 20, 2020
    North Carolina
    Oh man, I am loving that! Congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice