Native speakers of English, how do you talk about your Gretsch guitars?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Cassotto, Nov 13, 2019.

1. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I completely agree...

[​IMG]

JeffreyLeePierre and T Bone like this.
  2. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Then I suppose that it's a good thing that Gretsch doesn't use "Z" in their model number designations... If they did, we'd be having the whole "Zee" vs. "Zed" conversation! :rolleyes:

T Bone, Tadhg and audept like this.
  3. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Well, since we are talking NATIVE English speakers, mate you don't get more English than me. This is where I was born. Although the hospital is now closed, my old man could hit Big Ben with a cricket ball thrown from there...

Rock LaJoint birthplace.png

I say SixtyOne Twenty.

stiv, Tadhg, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tadhg

Tadhg Electromatic

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I agree - it WAS two thousand one, two thousand two, it's only now where people are getting lazy and saying "twenty one" for 2001.
    I say twenty-twenty for next year. Very common down here. It's not common to use extra syllables down here...

Let's be honest, even the English barely speak English - we all butcher it. :) We abbreviate it where it's slow, we lengthen it when it's short (think about rhyming slang - it's rarely shorter than the original word!)...
    But for products, it's more important to follow their naming conventions.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The Devil put the alphabet into math.

dlew919 likes this.
  6. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    I call mine a six one two "oh".... Looks like I buck the conventions :)

speedicut and audept like this.
  7. afire

afire Country Gent

Now you can be the trendsetter in your community and pronounce your Gretsch model numbers American style. If only you can find somebody to pronounce them to. ;)

Cassotto likes this.
  8. MyGirlGretta

MyGirlGretta Electromatic

Jul 23, 2012
    ca
    Probably been said already, but...

The reason it is divided into two numbers is because the first set represents the series and the second set is the model of said series.

61 = 6100 series
    20 = model number

54 = 5400 series
    22 = model number of double cut.

9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

How do I speak of my Gretsches? In English of course. :D

I have two Sixty One Twenty's, a Sixty One Twenty Nine, a Sixty One Eighteen, a Fifty Four Twenty, a Fifty Four Thirty Five and a Ninety Five Thirty One.
    What a winning hand

Dang straight. Straight outta Detroit!

Cassotto and MyGirlGretta like this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not sure about other Gretsch series but with the G512x serie the last number was also a colour designation.
    So 5120 Orange,
    24 White,
    25 Black,
    26 Silver sparkle,
    27 Baby blue,
    28 Gold sparkle,
    29 Red.

11. MyGirlGretta

MyGirlGretta Electromatic

Jul 23, 2012
    ca
    Thanks. That's super helpful. I've been looking to get one with the DeArmonds but either want the BB or red. Now I know the model number for the color. Sweet!

Some of the pictures I've seen come with a Bigsby B70 and some with a B60. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you? Thanks.

Cassotto and Ricochet like this.
  12. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

With the Pro Line Jet series, the 61xx numbers, 6128 is a Duo Jet, solid color (have seen black, red, green etc), can be either single cut or double cut. The 6129 is a Duo Jet in Sparkle finish, again single or double cut, have seen Silver, Red, Green, Champaign etc. Also Blue Pearl (another drum covering as are the Sparkle finishes).

Cassotto, MyGirlGretta and Ricochet like this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The first in the G512x series had a B70 and a Tune-o-matic bridge fixed with two posts. Later models changed to a floating wooden bridge base plus B60. Other than that I can't tell you anything. A G5127 Dearmond stirred my interest in Gretsch, been downhill since. Good luck! :)

14. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    It's not a silly question. A silly question is how would we say 6120 the way the French express numbers between 80 and 99. Three-twenty-one-twenty.

JeffreyLeePierre and Cassotto like this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am not ready to concede that is WHY people call it "sixty-one twebty" Certainly in 1951 or whenever it came out people already refers to the year as nineteen fifty-one, even if they never heard of gretsch. Correlation, but not necessarily causation. It could he argued that gretsch chose this numbering style because it is consistent with how people say numbers.

I certainly called it "sixty-one twenty" before I knew how others called it and before I knew about where the number comes from.

Cassotto likes this.
  16. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I have a fifty-one twenty and a
    White Falcon, because 6136T59GE is just too damn hard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice