Nailhead Trem revisions?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I just realized you said the revised nailhead trem would show up first. Can you elaborate on the revisions

2. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    Bangor, ME
    Here's a mock up of the new version that includes a clutch switch. From what I've seen Tavo mention on facebook, the clutch allows the trem to be shut off so that the Nail Head can be used as a boost (throttle control is the boost level).

38867413_943746229167045_883839557244551168_n.jpg

3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    yes, the internal volume boost/cut trim pot from inside the box has been brought to the top of the pedal so you can adjust boost cut as you need for your signal chain needs (before after overdrives n preamps,etc) and the clutch switch suspends the throb so the pedal doubles as completely transparent clean boost. This is an invaluable feature if you tend to switch between electric and acoustic instruments live. Dont know why it took
    me so long to do this, its been on the circuit board all along and I've been using my Reverburator pedals clean boost for the last yr. ..duh. :) Also there
    is an on/off status LED plus LED Pulse speed indicator. I've also quieted the circuit a tiny bit more. Its a really unique trem design I cant live out on my stage board. These changes are a bit selfish but they are things that I find I need as a performing singer/guitar player and since I'm moving this particular pedal to a higher production status I will be lowering the price from $285 to $165, as all the extreme hand wiring will be streamlined. Thats exciting as I hope to get these into more players hands, they sound perfect right in front of the Mystery Brain.

Lionpotato, cowmoo, nasonm and 2 others like this.
  4. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Ok you keep improving my stuff. I’ll have to have one of these now too

TV the Wired Turtle and Bertotti like this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I suppose I better start saving for:
    (a) Jr Barnyard
    (b) new version Nailhead Trem
    (c) Mystery Brain V2 with FX loop insert leads
    (d) Detroit Casket
    (e)...???...
    PB #7
    Strymon Zuma #4
    Divorce.......
    :eek::eek::eek:

Outlaw, larryb and loudnlousy like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I am at a loss, you don’t have a JR Barnyard! This is the one pedal I thought for sure you would have ordered ASAP.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    been hangin around millennials :)

nickurso likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    This pedal ha my full and undivided attention. I have been hitting the website now and then to see if it is listed yet.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  9. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    You know I loves my tremolo.

My VL seems to have given up the ghost. Will be ordering a Nailhead when the new one becomes available.

10. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    And a smaller footprint than a VoodooLab?

11. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    voodoolabs? thats a giant pedal :) this is the size of a phase 90's footprint more or less

Bertotti and Tele295 like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You know, I really have enough Nocturne pedals but still, I am on that website almost daily looking for this. WTH is wrong with my brain, not the one in the pedal, the one between my ears. As long as there is a cell or two left it still qualifies. Now for the real question. I noticed the other day that as I used the tremolo on my JSX mini I could set it so deep it actually made me ill, very nauseous, has this ever happened to any of you? It was almost liek being very motion sick. I had to turn the depth down a fair bit to get over it.

13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Love the purple and green, our family colors.

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So even with the changes it will still sound like the original nail head. Streamlined circuits pots moved to the outside etc, I was wondering if the overall character of the pedal would shift a bit from original. Not sure I want to but I may actually sell my RC Booster and Barber Ltd SR to afford this one. Decisions decisions.

16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Jacks are on flying leads just like the original, stomp switch is still on flying ribbon leads, same gauge wire.
    Components were on a green PCB, now they're on a red PCB. Only the potentiometers have been changed from
    free lug to board mount.. mostly to support the board inside the pedal.. so naw. And the change up of putting the
    volume boost cut on the top w a knob is such a dang good upgrade. Giving it a field test today on stage w the
    band let me set the depth really low but turn up the volume so I got a really sweet indistinct trem on my
    gibson J-100. It was enough for you to feel the pulse but not enough to sound hokey w trem on an acoustic.
    Plus I could quickly attenuate the jump in vol because I keep my atomic brain on in front as its secondary
    preamp (the guitar has an onboard fishman pickup/pre).
    In anycase,
    If you can hear a difference between the original and the new one once you set the vol boost to match, I'm a monkeys uncle :)

caveat:We do bias the Fairchild J201 Jfet by ear w its trimpot. I set it just before it starts getting dirty w the volume pot turned up and the depth control all the
    way down. This keeps the headroom maximized and the throb bubbly and free of gristle. thats the only variable from one unit to the next.
    [​IMG]

nasonm and Bertotti like this.
  17. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Do you have an estimate for when you will begin taking orders for the new Nailhead?

larryr likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Looking at these new graphics on the nail head, which I love, and the Detroit Casket, I am reminded of different things. The new Nailhead reminds me of an old filling station with one of those .15cent soda bottle machines where you open the top then grab a bottle and pull hard to get it out. And the Detroit Casket reminds me of a bowling alley with the attached diner. Both on a hoppin hotrod evening with the girls on skates flying around bringing you burgers and malts. Hey, I was pretty young then so that was what I had. People in the double digits were having adult beverages. Midwest small-town life.

19. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Electromatic

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    New to this forum so first Hi! I was going to get a catalinbread valcoder as i love those dirty trem sounds it gets. Does the Nailhead get into that sort of area soundwise? Not heard many demos of the Nailhead. At 165 it makes it far more attractive to me taking into account shipping and import into the uk.

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    WTH I pop into the Nocturne website to see the new nailhead finally listed but marked as sold out already! Talk about a fast seller!