NAD!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by stiv, Sep 22, 2019.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    AF38D05E-CA0B-4F26-96FD-3C0A0EBAC2E3.jpeg :):)I visited a friend of mine who owns a beautiful Fender collection, and came home with this. He had it on sale at a very reasonable price because the back panel wasn’t original as well as the reverb pedal, so I decided I couldn’t let it pass. It’s a ‘67 Selmer Vanguard, 15w 12” speaker. Very well equipped, all original Mullards pre and Brimar power tubes (6BR8), original Goodmans speaker. I dragged it down with me at the club I was playing yesterday and put it on stage without even try it :). First thing I did it’s been to plug in my ‘64 SG Special and play Astronomy Domine :D. It’s what I call an “on-off” amp, you plug in and get the tone with minimal tweaking as the controls (2 channels, volume and tone, reverb on both) are not as effective as a Fender or a Marshall. It’s a bit dark sounding (but it gets better if you link the channels), break up nicely at reasonable volume and it fitted perfectly the trebley bridge pickup of my Gibby. Even the sound guy was happy. I never had a Selmer so this is a first time for me. I’ll give it a few rounds with my Gretsch Rally in the next days, for now I really like it. It sounds completely different from any other amp I own. It may never be my main amp, but sometimes it’s good to have some choice of sound. And Psycho Syd would have approved me ;).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Very nice! Congrats.

stiv likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sweet! Selmer amps are near impossible to find here in the Colonies.

Lionpotato and stiv like this.
  4. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Well played - that’s a proper vintage amp right there. I love on-off amps. There’s been an old Selmer sitting on the showroom floor at CCM for about a month now, and I hope it’s gone the next time I go in for strings because there’s almost no way I won’t stop not buying it if I see it again. And they had it right next to a Magnatone ... .

stiv likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, that one oozes cool!

stiv likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Looks great , enjoy and congrats

stiv likes this.
  7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Thanks fellas. I noodled with it a bit last night, he really loves my Rally’s bridge pickup. I still think he’s a bit of a one trick pony, but it does his trick very well.
    It may have some very good use on some old blues stuff. I’m sure a Tele would be the best match for this amp, unfortunately I’m not a Tele lover. For now.;)

Outlaw likes this.
  8. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Love the Selmer!
    Don't forget to let us know how you get on with your Tele (when you get one) :)

stiv likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very cool, congrats.

stiv likes this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

The future is the key to this!

stiv likes this.
  11. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    That’s why I am eyeing an Esquire to match with the Selmer.. :D

TSims1 likes this.
  12. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Very nice! congrats!

stiv likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice