NAD

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by loudnlousy, Feb 10, 2019.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I am a Marshall guy at heart.

That`s why the vew amps that are left from my originally big collection are all squarely in the Marhall field.
    (I had to sell every thing else at some point and only kept the essentials.)

My most beloved amp is an original vintage 1965/1966 Marshall JTM45. The holy grail. I posted it here several times proudly.

Two cool Reußenzehn-amps are my main weapons today. They are perfect for what I do most of the time.

I need at least 30 to 50 watts to get the job done. My setup is very, very reduced and pure. I got along with it for many happy years. So I did not look for a new favorite amp. I do own my favortite amps, already.

The amps I missed the most where my Boogies, though. For a good reason: Tweakability and options. And: They are really design marvels. The Rolls Royce of amps. Imho. I owned and played many fine boutique amps and I know what I am talking about. If we`re talking about mass-produced handmade amps Mesa is king.

Last year I had some projects where I needed some highgain amp-sounds and some very clean amp-tones.
    My Marshalls wheren`t up to that task and I decided to search for a compact alternative.

Sadly some nice deals on Boogie stuff went south and I had to be patient.

The good thing about that was that I had some time to try different stuff.

It soon was very clear to me that I do not want a combo but a head.
    With used Boogies there seems to be quite a spread of price nowadays.
    Some used Boogies ask for a price well beyond a good used middleclass car and some are affordable. Sadly most of the last ones turned out to be unsuitable for me. So I had to search deeper and wait for a good opportunity.

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a real monster that originally wasn`t on my list (mainly because of it`s horrendous price over here):
    IMG_2565.JPG

A Stiletto Trident Stage one.

I did some research.

Obviously this model was a big financial desaster for Mesa and only very vew of them where made.

It is their first take on British EL 34 type amps. They designed it to be the bad british brother to the Triple Rectifier. Andy Timmons gave them his vintage Marshall collection as a reference.
    A 35 kg heavy. That`s quite an argument against this brute.

The tone was too harsh for the typical Mesa buyer who seems to prefer more smooth tones and the dials where far too complicated for Marshall enthusiasts. And why should a Marshall fan buy a Boogie anyway?

So they redesigned it for all the bedroom players (a 150 watt amp???) as the Stage 2 model and dumped it at some point of time.

I checked it in person and can honestly say that the old saying is true "there are a thousand ways to dial in bad sounds on a Boogie".
    So I will have to take some time to explore it as soon as it will arrive.

So why did I buy it?
    This amp originally was a 3K investment and if you look inside you instantly kow that this work of art is worth it. You can get it for a fair price nowadays used because of the circumstances mentioned above.
    I strongly believe that this sleeper will be a future investment-grade classic.

It is Boogie quality through and through.
    All handbuilt and completely tricked-out.
    You will feel the difference to an industrial made Marshall as soon as you touch the smooth dials.

It delivers a catalogue of classic Marshall sounds.
    Basically you can choose fom 5 (!) amps. Authentic Clapton Bluesbreaker, classic Malcolm, Van Halen Brown sound, Schenker goodness and the br00tals.
    You can channel-switch between two of them.

The nice aspect of the design is that you can modify the feel of the amp. That`s an option most amp-builders do not think about.

I always enjoyed the forgiveness of Boogies.

Marshalls are so immediate in their sound that you can not hide any sloppyness.
    So here you can modify your attack via a choice of two rectifier types (valve and diode) and you even have a variac on board to reduce 20% of the voltage that leads to a more spongey feel.
    Does not affect the sound too much but the overall feel of the amp. Cool, cool feature.

So imagine a 150 watt Hiwatt in one channel ready to deliver all that Pink Floyd effect-processed sounds with unlimited headroom and on the other a nice compressed and variaced 50w Plexi to play with. You even have a footswitchable solo boost and a hard-bypass on the effect-loop.

I am very excited and hope that it will arrive here without damage. (There are 14 valves on board and a complete replacement of these would cost at least EUR 400.) I keep my fingers crossed.

It is the first investment after many, many years of selling stuff.
    And it is a vehicle of motivating me playing again after months of illness.

I had to laugh at the fact that I am somehow cultivating an amp zoo: Snakeskin, lizzardskin, leopardskin and now krokoskin covers on my amps. That was definitively not intentional but cool anyway.

I am happy and excited like a little child right now.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Looks kool man, hope its healthy when it arrives.

loudnlousy likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Good buy - I've always been a Stiletto fan :)
    They had a reputation for hard to dial in but once you read the manual it was no issue imo.

About 10 years ago Mesa did another amp that does great Marshall overdrive tones plus great Fender cleans. The Electra Dyne was easy to dial in and you could choose 6L6 or EL84s plus 90w or 45w

The Electra Dyne had many devoted fans like the Stiletto but low sales caused Mesa to stop making them. It's another fabulous sleeper now like the Stiletto and F50.

http://mesaboogie.com/support/out-of-production/electra-dyne.html

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    loudnlousy likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What a catch! I had forgotten all about this one until this post! You will love it!

loudnlousy likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Here is a good vid but I think it might be the second version, but if memory serves it doesn't do anything the original can't do. maybe I'm just having faulty memory with the version.

Fairly confident this is the original. And doesn't the second channel have a fluid drive?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    loudnlousy and Waxhead like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I found the video where the guy says it has a fluid drive. Even on youtube, it sounds good. Glad you're feeling better and I hope you're feeling a lot better!

gjohnson441496, MKunie, RG7X and 2 others like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats man. That is some serious steam punk coolness you have there.

Bertotti, Waxhead and loudnlousy like this.
  8. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Wow, that`s nice. Thank you for sharing.

9. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    What a cool amp. Very diverse and also well done on all the different modes. I'd be all over that if I still had some of my solid bodies for the heavier stuff.

loudnlousy likes this.
  10. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    iv had several mesa amps over the years. all great amps. my favorite by far was the Royal Atlantic RA100. it was simple enough to figure out and dial in. as great as the markV was, i hated it, felt like i spent all my time playing with knobs and buttons :) . never tryed the stiletto but its a mesa, so im sure its great in its own right. enjoy

loudnlousy likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Why did you have problems with the Mark V?
    Very simple for me.
    Did you read the manual on how to use the mids dial?

All the modern Mesa amps have 1 basic EQ feature.
    The bass pot is very powerful so if you always keep it under 11 o'clock you can't go wrong imo :)

loudnlousy likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    From my experience you can do all the cool clean and heavy crunch stuff with a hollow-body Gretsch. No problem. You would be positively surprised.
    In fact I never had to put any dampening stuff into my trestle-braced 6119.
    You have to deal with th "Uncle-Ted-syndrome". But it is complete fun to me.

Waxhead likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That was my experience with my MK2B and my MK3.
    It was hell.
    But as soon as I found the right adjustment everything was fine. Never touch the knobs again, though. Keep everybody away from it and secure the whole thing under a big and heavy flightcase hood when transported.

14. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The sample settings in Mesa`s manuals are very helpful indeed.
    In fact I think that their manuals are the only ones you better read befor you plug into their products.

And yes, the bass pot on my MK3 was usually at zero (as it is on my vintage Marshall).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Waxhead likes this.
  15. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Hey... don't tempt me. I have enough amps!

loudnlousy likes this.
  16. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Haha. Sorry. Did not want to get you into trouble.:) But it is worth trying some saturated stuff with that old jazz-boxes.

17. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Hopefully, you can post some clips soon. That vid was cool but he didn't have a Gretsch!

loudnlousy likes this.
  18. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Congrats, sounds like a great amp

loudnlousy likes this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes I understand the old Marks were a little tricky but the Mark V is different. Everything Mesa made after the Lonestar 15 yrs ago they resolved the EQ issues.

They've all been dead simple ever since.
    Just keep the bass under 11 o'clock and you can't dial in a bad tone.

Plus on the Mark V the mids dial has 2 sections. Positions 0 to 5 it's a standard mids control - from 5-10 its ...... quoting Mesa here

"From 5.0 to 10 on the MID/BOOST a wonderful graduation of overdrive possibilities unfold that enhance gain over a wide midrange spectrum and saturate with increasing thickness. The dial-to-taste smooth, warm overdrive found in the MID/BOOST transforms Channel 1 into a full featured (high gain) amplifier all its own and offers HUGE potential for great solo and overdriven rhythm sounds across a wide range of styles."

And it's great to use on the 2 clean voices cos if you want to change to edge of break up or light bluesy overdrive you just move the mids dial up past 6. Don't need to touch anything else.

Mark V has lots of dials but its multi channel with fully independent EQs and reverb for each channel. So it's mainly multiple sets of the same controls.

Once you set them independently for its channels, keep the bass always under 11 o'clock and understand how the mid dial works it's all very simple imo.

The separate EQ section can be engaged or not by footswitch and I rarely use it. But if you do it's very powerful and like having an additional EQ pedal on your pedalboard.

This is the key to how Mesa designed THE best and most versatile amp ever made imo :)

With my Express the EQs are no more complicated than a Fender or Marshall. Just remember to keep bass under 11 0'clock.

Henry and loudnlousy like this.
  20. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

I've never played through a MESA, this sounds like a dream amp. Big congratulations! I missed when she's due to arrive.

loudnlousy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice