Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NAD!: Yo dawg, I heard I like Jets....

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Aug 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    ... so I got me a Jet so I can play my Jets through a Jet... :D

Been thinking on the consolidation tip for the ever accumulating stacks of amps I wind up attracting and came to the conclusion that in the clean-ish American sounding category I really can't justify having more than an 18-22 ish watt combo for playing w/ drummers and a ~5-10 watt for home/low key jams/recording/etc.

Sounds counter-intuitive/productive, but the minty '74 Champ strolling into the shop over this past weekend had triggered a lot of activity in my brain related to this initiative and I'd been getting pretty close to coming to the conclusion that I would end up ordering either an Allen Chihuahua or a Swart Atomic Jr or STR Tremolo, but have wound up hitting up the local big boxes 3 times this week at lunch hoping that something might pop up before I resorted to that. Feeling a little embarrassed about popping up for the 3rd time at the localest GC, I almost didn't go in today, but fought through it. Damn, I'm pretty glad I did as this guy had showed up since my last visit (pardon the crappy cellphone pics):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Being a fan of the 60s Ampegs I've been on the look out for any Jets that have happened across my path but, like so many of the Ampegs of this era the ones I've encountered were either in pretty sketchy shape electronically, or the cabs were literally falling apart, and/or they wanted way more for them than I wanted to pay. This one turns out to have been one of my acquaintances who works there which explains why it seems to be in great and mostly all original shape electronically and structurally if a bit rough on the cosmetics...

[​IMG]
    If my memory of dating methodology for the vintage Ampegs serves me correctly I believe it's a '63 and seems fairly unmolested. It's got some old stock 6BK11s, original speaker and trannys, and the only things changed up is the addition of a three prong cord (which I'm never going to complain about), it's had its electrolytics replaced, and had the original 7591s replaced w/ JJs when the previous owner got it ~ 5 years ago. Most importantly, out of the 5 I've checked out over the years, it seemed like the best sounding and least noisy w/ a fully functional and great sounding trem. Sounds great turned down to low talking volumes and spits some great, beefy crunch when dimed w/ very nice dynamics all the way through the range. All of that and it's the cheapest one I've run into by $50 :D

Haven't had a chance to really give it a proper workout, but I think it's gonna be a keeper!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    MKunie, slimwilson, larryb and 6 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Congrats and enjoy ...... now crank that baby up

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Freshy

Freshy Gretschie

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Nice "experienced" gigging amp. A little 60 cycle hum to let ya know when its on. Did you pull the back panel for a glance at the guts?
    About Guitar Center, I'm looking at 2 specific guitars and GC has the best prices on either plus they don't consider the shipping costs to be a moneymaker.

4. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
  5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

I've given it a bit a more in depth exploration w/ a couple of the Jets after I got home from the shop:
    [​IMG]
    It seems to really like Filtertrons so far, and paired up w/ the Atomic Brain I think it's probably produced one of the nicest cleanish sounds from the HS Filters in the 6128 I've managed so far :) I was liking them significantly better than the Setzers in the 5655, which seems to be the opposite through most of the other amps. Can't wait to plug the Panther in...

It seems like it's taking dirt really well but I think the speaker is a little tired as it's got some of the same lazy response as the speaker in the Champ has when it really being pushed, whether from dirt pedal or under its own power. It's got a very raw, tweedy, semi-grindy breakup character when pushed hard that I think will be great for me and it gets pretty darn loud cranked up. I think it may even wind up coffee house giggable w/ a newer fairly high sensitivity speaker. One of the advantages of being a 12" combo w/ 8 ohm OT is that I've already got quite a few other options on hand. I'm thinking I'll borrow the Alnico Gold out of the GVT112 cab and see what it and maybe the Cannabis Rex sound like in there.

It's had more work done to it than my previous excited post test drive inspection of it led me to conclude. Looks like they put in a solid state rectifier (dunno how I missed that other than the lighting in the GC platinum room is really bad below about hip level:rolleyes:...) and replaced the switch w/ a 3 way w/ standby. I'm gonna get a better look at things when I drop a different speaker in on Saturday. I might look into reversing the rectifier mod pending what the rest of the circuit looks like. Sounds great as is, an I wouldn't want to screw w/ it too majorly (especially if it looks like it's been extensively tweaked) but my gut tells me I want the 5Y3 in there ;)

Anyway, thanks for reading! I'm gonna go play through it some more:D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  6. Nothing like an old Ampeg. I’ve had a Gemini I since 1966. It’s the only amp I would never consider selling. Enjoy it!

7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I couldn't agree more!

I've had a '67 Gemini VI for several years and absolutely love that thing for big mellow sounds. I've had it up for sale at the shop to help fund a "forget about the price" campaign for a really good example of a Reverberocket R12R, but no takers so far. I think it would be a sad day for me when/if it ever goes on to a new owner but I think the 12" in the Reverberocket might be a little more flexible for me (and at least take up less space and be easier to haul around).

Martin82 likes this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    All the old blue check Ampegs i've had ( 5 or 6) were great sounding, reliable amps.

9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Ampegs are up there on my fav list...congrats!!!

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've had a couple of Ampegs. They're one of those "Never shoulda sold it" amps. I've always liked blue diamonds (or squares, considering).

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    After checking this one out w/ the AV52 Tele and Booncaster, the Doheny, and ES-175 into the wee hours of the morning I'd say yeah, it's a certain keeper. It really loves the Teles :D

A little more digging revealed that this particular model (J-12-D) used the solid state rectifier from the factory, it was just replaced w/ a new part, presumably during the overhaul several years ago.

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I dug up the Tung Sol 7591As last night and swapped back and forth between them and the JJs in the Jet a few times and was a bit surprised at the degree of difference I was hearing. I wound up having a pretty distinct preference for the Tung Sols: they seem a bit brighter and more detailed in the attack and also (somewhat disappointingly for me) were producing noticeably higher output.

I took it into the shop today and got everything torn down and cleaned up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thankfully it does look like they stayed pretty conservative w/ the servicing, I figured I saw 6 caps replaced and the 3 way power switch added w/ everything else inside the chassis striking me as original:
    [​IMG]
    I was happy to find the schematic fairly intact too:
    [​IMG]
    It's not a super deep cab, so the chassis had to come out to do the speaker swap, which was really for the best as it needed a good vacuuming in there.

The dustcap on the original C12R had deteriorated away pretty significantly and the outside folds looks like I'd probably wind up blowing it out in fairly short order so I felt a little bit more justified in the speaker swap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Given how shallow the cab is and the placement of the power tubes, I'm thinking the G12 Gold would definitely not fit so I mounted the Cannabis Rex up. That wind ups a pretty darn tight fit, but I think I'd feel comfortable hauling it around frequently w/ it in there. I was having a hard time getting pic of the tube clearance, but I'd say there's ~3/8-7/16" between the base of the tubes and the drivers and there's still ~ 1/8" of compression on the rubber gasket against the chassis:
    [​IMG]
    I haven't given it a proper test drive to form any decisive opinions on the sound yet, but I will say that the weight difference from the stock speaker is a little much and I think the 101.8db sensitivity is going to give me more volume than I want out of it. It seems a lot more solid and focused sounding when driven and displayed the same kind of smoky quality I'd associated it w/ in the other combos I've tried it in.

13. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Pardon me for my stupidity, but I have one question - are the larger tubes power tubes? And does that mean the smaller tubes would be pre-amp tubes?

For instance - 12AX7 power tubes and 6L6 pre amp tubes. Never mind my tube classifications.

Am I on the right track?

Russ

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I would like to own one!

15. Ebidis

Ebidis Gretschie

Jul 30, 2017
    Alabama
    You are on the right track. The smaller tubes are preamp tubes, and the larger are power tubes. However, 12ax7's are small preamp tubes, and 6L6's are large power tubes.

russmack and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Wound up doing a speaker swap free for all over the weekend moving the Cannabis Rex out of the Jet into the VibroRic, the Weber Alnico Signature 12 out of the VibroRic into my Allen 1x12, and the Red, White, and Blues from the 1x12 into the Jet:
    [​IMG]
    While that turned out to be a win/win/win, it was probably most beneficial to the Allen cab, w/ the VibroRic a close runner up. The R,W,&B was an improvement in the Jet, but still not doing it for me. Last night I clipped the terminal ends off of the speaker out leads on the Jet and hooked up a Switchcraft 1/4" female jack and made myself a couple of speaker dongles:
    [​IMG]
    After that I dropped in a Heritage G12M and initial impressions are pretty darn good, a bit more biased towards crunch than the cleans, but really a pretty good match for the amp all told IMO. Hooking it up through the Brake Lite w/ the Brain and Prestige pushing the pre a bit the crunch really is pretty unique and cool sounding:
    [​IMG]I think I will try the Weber 10A125-O 20W on a rebaffler once they arrive as I'm thinking the primary limitation here is probably the cab geometry/volume making all but the weakest of 12"s go boxy/underpowered sounding. I think I'll enjoy this Greenback in the meantime regardless :)

For cleans to "cleans... ?" to jangly crunch, I'm not sure I could do much better than the Allen 1x12 w/ the Alnico Signature. Just a great super detailed, 3D sounding tone w/ lots of chime and a beautiful low end. Seems to be a really great sounding cab w/ any of the American voiced amps so far. I'm super tempted to try to run the Jet w/ the combo speaker and the Allen cab, but can't decide what my likelihood of blowing some thing up w/ the 4 ohm load would be yet...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Bertotti likes this.
  17. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Man, I'd really love to hear that thing