NAD: Winfield Cyclone, lightweight edition

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Seamus, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Not too long ago, I was soliciting opinions on a lightweight amp thanks to a new cardiac issue. Long story short, I really, really love the tone of the Vox AC10, but it's just enough over my weight limit to be a problem. So, given that I've got a big milestone birthday next month, even the wife was persuaded that maybe it's time I invested in an amp that's exactly what I want and need for gigging, and won't blow up my heart (always a plus in my book).

I intend to post a full review of its tones once I've had a few days to play. But Gretsch-Talk member Winnie Thomas really helped me out tremendously, getting his Cyclone model down below 25 pounds. Heck, he even indulged my inordinate love of Vox and put diamond grille cloth on it!

The result is 22 pounds, 1.6 ounces of beautiful tone. The Vox DNA, as Synchro put it, is here in spades. But there's something more here, a massive zone of subtle differences in its wide area of breakup that makes this something unique. Can't thank Winnie enough. And really, what an amp! It's got everything I want in an amp. And he even put in a bright switch for me.

It's actually bigger than it may appear, somewhere around half the size of my AC30, but almost one-fourth the weight. Yep, one fourth!!!

Cyclone-5.jpg

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I am a frequent visitor to prestigious Winfield labs, but I missed seeing this one. You have actually inspired something here. I think this could become a very popular product. A grab and go amp with pretty of headroom.

Like yourself, I admire the “wide area of breakup” offered by this design. The EF-86 preamp tube makes for something quite different from the normal 12AX7 amp. I played one of Winnie’s Dust Devil amps and compared the Vox-like channel to the more Fender-like design. The difference when cranked was considerable. There was a collected nature to the way the Vox channel broke up; a greater degree of definition.

Rusty Silver and Seamus like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Love this amp!

Seamus likes this.
  4. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Well, it's hard to imagine a better setup if you can't or don't want to carry something big or, in my case, make multiple trips to the car. Since I live in New England, the thought of four trips to the car for every gig was not appealing, particularly in midwinter! The combo format takes care of things very well. And if I have more time or fortitude, I can always run it through a bigger speaker.

pmac11 likes this.
  5. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Very nice, congratulations Seamus. I’d guess you know our resident knuckle cracker ( :) ) is Buds with Winnie and has a handful of Whinfields as well.

Audept, do you have one too?

6. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

And Sync I’m surprised as I’ve not noted much to get past you. Been slackin.

7. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Just wanted to add: at half volume, it'll peel the paint!

8. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    No, I'm a play at home guy with snarky neighbors sharing a wall between us. At home it's basically impossible to use an amp without death threats from next door. At work I have a lovely boutique amp made for me by Roy Blankenship. Only 25W but I have get to work an hour early to play through it so I don't annoy everybody.
    Blankenship 007.jpg Blankenship 015.jpg Blankenship 018.jpg

pmac11 and new6659 like this.
  9. G5422T

G5422T Gretschie

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Cool looking amp. Congrats

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    That’s sort of my approach. Our biggest gig, most years, is the Pima County Fair. We ride in on golf carts (although I pretend it’s a helicopter), and I want to make it an easy load-in. My solution is one amp, a spare head, which can be plugged into the main amp’s speaker cab, in case of a blown tube, a Gretsch Tenny, a bag full of cables, and a pedal board. Two trips from the car to the helicopter. :)

Old Winnie must’ve snuck that one last me. :)

Not only that, it peels paint in style. My Cyclone is usually played through a 2x12” Marshall 2061 style cabinet. Paint jumps off the wall when it sees that rig coming. It is amazingly loud for 15 watts. When it does breakup, its a very gradual process, which allows you to straddle the clean and the overdriven realms with ease.

11. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Love the name of that amp!

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    You'd be the perfect candidate for a Winfield Typhoon. It's the same sized cabinet as Seamus' amp, but 5 watts of pure tonal bliss.

audept likes this.
  13. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    How many watts? This is way cool.

14. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Ooo I like that, too. Just snagged a cab with a pair of those Celestions a couple months ago.

I live in an old place on a corner on 2 lots and am in between women right now so all I have to worry about is my own ears.

Either he’s real sneaky or you were distracted thinking about your helo

Seamus and audept like this.
  15. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Unfortunately it is entirely appropriate for me. :(

16. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    15 watts -- based on a Vox AC15 circuit. It's a very loud 15 watts.

audept likes this.
  17. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I would need a 240 V version!

18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    That's one helluva sexy looking amp and I bet it sounds/feels as good as it looks. Congrats!

Seamus likes this.
  19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    He can probably accommodate that.

20. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    If it sounds as good as it looks....wow.