NAD (whew, Princeton again!)

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Stefan, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Fender Princeton Reverb 1980

661AB4C7-5B53-49BB-BE0E-404CE1E336AE.jpeg
    Received the amp last Wednesday, turned on and flop!, blown fuse...:confused:
    It was a bad 6V6 and also a bad 5U4.
    While waiting for new tubes I‘ve cleaned the cabinet, swapped the speaker and checked for visible flaws:
    4EB4B792-F9EE-406B-983B-68A9240CB434.jpeg

34CA28D2-CE19-435C-AD9E-6C8481B533DA.jpeg
    The 40 year old Princeton looks after reassembling pretty near mint. It‘s clean with a nice vintage patina and the typical smell only old Fender amps got! And again- the last Princetons got a Blackface frontplate until 1981 and the circuit is the old B1270.

Today I put the new tubes in and- WOW:
    That amp sounds amazing!
    Superbly tight basses and silky shiny highs, totally warm Fender 60’s clean, a really perfect Blackface tone! The Tremolo is a bit weak (I guess that’s a common issue on old Princetons) but nevertheless nice and organic. The Reverb is the best I‘ve heard since years!

Compared to the 65 Reissue it sounds much more organic, warmer and with complexer and richer overtones. The reissue sounds good, but the original sounds great: One of the best clean tones I‘ve heard, maybe the best!
    Another good thing: the amp is real quite, no strange noises, no hum, no nothing!

I‘m sure the Alessandro speaker is a pretty good choice for the Princeton and it will be even better after 30-50 hours of playing.
    Only strange thing- that Princeton is incredibly loud. Volume on 2 is like 4 on the reissue!

I‘m deeply impressed!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Outstanding, congratulations! And so clean looking. This is the amp I could retire with.

ishtar and Stefan like this.
  3. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Congratulations

Stefan likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Beautiful amp . I really need to try one someday

Stefan likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Congrats on your find, Stefan. I hope that this one will be a keeper.

Stefan likes this.
  6. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    PR’s are my weakness. I want at least 10 more. That is one beautiful amp. Perfection in my book. It’s rare to find one that nice.

Stefan likes this.
  7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    A weak trem can be a bias issue, but if that checks out a simple cap swas can sort it out.

The trem on mine is a little weak too, but I don't really mind.

Stefan likes this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
  9. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Thought that too. I‘ve swapped the 6V6 without controlling the bias since I‘m not able to do this by myself :eek:
    I hope this won‘t harm the amp until a tech have a look...

Makes me wonder that the amp is that loud! Maybe it needs a different volume pot? But I guess I‘ll have a bit of time before I‘ll take it to a service since I can‘t recognize anything wrong.
    Atm I use a simple voltage reducer for our 230Volts (only 100 watt consumption). I guess I‘ll keep the original transformer since it sounds so good and order a correct 300 watt step down transformer from TAD.

10. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    This one looks as if it's had the Stokes mod carried out. Note the red wire is the lower left corner of the board, connected to the resistor and white wire that goes to the cap can. That's non-standard, and usually part of the Stokes mod to give more headroom, normally carried out in conjunction with up-rated transformers. The jury is still out regarding the mod with stock transformers, as the standard OT is a little small for the job.

Ricochet, reverb11 and pmac11 like this.
  11. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Stefan likes this.
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    She's a beauty, congratulations!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Stefan likes this.
  13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Thanks a lot. Since I‘m a caveman when it comes to electronics: is that easy to put down to standard?

14. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    It's only a couple of wires, any competent tec can do it in minutes.

Stefan likes this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats! Princeton’s really seem to be getting a lot of love these days.

Stefan likes this.
  16. Green with envy. Congrats!

Stefan likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats Stefan, what a wonderful amp! So, not missing the Swart?

Stefan likes this.
  18. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Wow, that thing is CLEAN!
    I wouldn't do the Stokes mod or the other popular mod converting to a long-tailed pair phase inverter. A PR is a PR, why try to make it something else? I have tried those mods a few times and I always come back to stock circuit. Maybe that's just because I have other 2 x 6V6 amps, BFDR, BFD etc and dont need another amp similar to them. And the Stokes Mod wants to give you more headroom similar to a Deluxe. The long-tailed pair phase inverter pretty much makes it a Deluxe changing it from a great low volume or recording amp to a louder cleaner one.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Lionpotato, Dave-B and Stefan like this.
  19. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Absolutely my intention too. Volume on 4 is far too loud for my bedroom that way and it‘s still clean as the amp looks. I would prefer more breakup and less volume, but this clean is wonderful.

Lionpotato and swivel like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice