NAD: SF CHAMP!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Stefan, Jan 24, 2020.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Cool amp Stefan, you always seem to turn up some nice gear.:cool:

I was looking at a couple of similar ones recently an '81 and '76, both Silverface. In fact I just checked to see if the '81 was still for sale as I wondered if that was the one you bought, but I guess not.

I also saw a (birth year for me) '65 Blackface one that tempted me. I have a little 5F1 'clone' which only has the single volume control and I've been very impressed with the sound it gets, so can only imagine how a proper Fender would sound.

Stefan likes this.
  2. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Really cool!

And ... I admit, when I read you being satisfied, I kinda put whatever it is on a list of stuff I likely won't have any trouble with ... cos I know you're one of the hardest ones to be satisfied.

... I'm only just about starting to gather serious knowledge about tube amps ... as I want either a fenderish or a voxish one, but I'm not sure yet which direction I'll go ... in the long run, maybe both.

Stefan likes this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    The best thing that I did to my BROCO (SF VibroChamp) was put in a Weber P8R back then. IIRC, the new Weber pn is 8A100.

Just such a Fender tone. I used to call it my baby Twin. Just a blast to plug in to.

I went the "make it better" route with a nice pine cab with a 12" speaker, and a larger output tranny.

End result, honestly, I missed how the little fellow sounded all original with the Weber 8".

Live and learn.

Stefan likes this.
  4. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Tbh- I‘ve never heard a later BF or SF Champ personally until today. The simple yet perfect wiring with the additional tone control is so wonderful and pure sounding! Something for the tone-connaisseur :cool:...It‘s the most honest and direct amp I‘ve played. Perfect.

G5422T and KelvinS1965 like this.
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Is yours a 110 volt model? I just went back and looked at the ones I've seen for sale and they are mostly 110 volt, which I guess means using an external transformer, or changing the one in the amp. Not keen on changing the internal one though as I guess it would devalue the amp. External is a pain though as it's another thing to carry to gigs (I use my Champ for open mics).

Stefan likes this.
  6. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Beauty!!

I LOVE my SF Champ!!! Best amp for home and recording. No BS just gorgeous tube tones.

The 8” Celestion is a glorious speaker for these. Running mine through 8 ohm Vintage 30’s 2x12’s wired parallel. Great sound.

Enjoy man...my favorite all around amp!

Telechamp and Stefan like this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    No, fortunately export model with selectable voltage.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  8. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Good choice! Love my ‘78 Champ. Mine came with an aftermarket Jensen 8”. I use mine with pedals, and find using a Keeley Hooke Trem/reverb makes it sound like a tiny Deluxe Reverb.
    3A24E992-6CD2-48F4-A7E9-A4448AC39F95.jpeg

Stefan and G5422T like this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Cool score. Most of the vintage examples I had the opportunity to check out were farting out at higher volumes and were too mellow at lower volumes.

10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    The Warehouse G8C is wonderful- much louder and much more voluminous, straighter basses (no farting!) and sweet silky highs, more midrange body. Dream speaker and a real bargain. Highly recommended. Sounds indeed more like 10“. Following the golden rule:

Tweed: Alnico
    BF/SF: Ceramic

E7548657-70A6-4624-BEC9-C8BDA6FBE083.jpeg

loudnlousy likes this.
  11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    5ABDDADD-3594-4633-A7B2-1D4CE701748C.jpeg And some eyecandy- a little nice patina but superbly clean:

C4DAE356-F384-4071-9AC2-1634F57BEE41.jpeg

F82C6BED-0E0A-4027-85A1-26BE1F1707D0.jpeg

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Superbly preserved SF Champ, Stefan ! Looks like if it was NOS right out of the box... :cool:

I am also thinking about WGS speakers for future amp projects too. ;)

A+!

Stefan likes this.
  13. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    WGS are superb speakers. They sound absolutely bigger than their size. I don’t know what it is but that’s the way they sound.
    The biggest discovery I had in brands since long time.

Stefan likes this.
  14. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Yup, big surprise. Those speakers are enormous FAT sounding. No need to get a 10“ speaker in a Champ or Vibrochamp with a WGS. And they sound broken in right out of the box, no stiffness or something. And they are everything but expensive!

15. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Congrats! I play my '69 Champ ALL the time.. I put a Weber alnico Sig 8 in it after the stock Oxford bit the dust. Re-tubed it with JJ's not too long ago.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice