NAD Nocturne blondeshell combo

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by nickurso, Aug 9, 2013.

1. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Today ups knocked on my door with a Nocturne blondeshell 1x15 combo. The amp looks great and sounds better. I played it for about 1 1/2 hours today with and without pedals. The amp sounds fantastic straight with my SSU. The brain pulls it all together. I will be playing Monday with my band and will let everyone know how it goes. It will be a good workout for the amp.
    Here are the pics, I will try and get a video soon.

image-4174851545.jpg

image-2040441103.jpg

image-3564806767.jpg

image-2597981740.jpg

Outlaw, MKunie, CatTones and 2 others like this.
  2. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    THAT !!!!! is my secret centerfold.

mj

3. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    just curious, i though Tavo prefered these with a closed back cab

regardless, what a beauty!!!

Congrats - looking forward to the demo ;)

M

4. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    I am officially very, very, very, very jealous.

5. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Wonderful! If an early to mid 60's Bassman is what keeps your clock wound, you just don't get any better than Tavo's Nocturne Blondeshell. The research and care he put into the build and resourcing parts means you can buy with absolute confidence.

6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    You can still hook it up to a closed back cabinet. And it has a slope switch on the low end. That was one of the things he worked out for the combo. 4 or 8 ohm outputs . Amp sounds great. I play American roots music( blues rock n roll doo wop etc.). It's great for the music I play. Ill try and get some video soon.

Waxhead likes this.
  7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Just spent another hour with this amp. It really responds the right way when ya play it. With the fat switch and the slope switch and the atomic brain I was getting all kinds of great amp sounds.

MKunie and CatTones like this.
  8. Tattoo Joe

Tattoo Joe Gretschie

Feb 13, 2011
    stamford ct.
    Congrats....so nice. I am very jealous.

9. joe007

joe007 Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2013
    ny
    Hey man that's great! Congrats. Looks like a great amp.

I don't see it on the website.
    Tavo, if you need some nice pics of this amp send one over to me ;)

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    This looks awesome. I'll bet it sounds even better! **jealous**

11. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    How cool is that?!?!

12. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Waxhead likes this.
  13. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Nice Vid Nick!! I wanted to wait until you posted a video of your new amp before chiming in.. I always feel a little intimidated posting in threads like these even though its really exciting, especially because you got the first production combo and thank you for having faith in me to make that for you! But since Marlin asked a question, I thought it was appropriate to answer.. and yes Marlin my Blondeshell amp head, to me, is perfectly mated to a closedback 212 combo.. BUT there have been so many voices about a combo 15" version over the last 2 yrs for those that play more country (old school county) and surf, than rockabilly.. I had to listen and find a middle ground so I found a way to make a compact but deeper cab that would deliver a similar response to my how my blondeshell head sounded in my 1x15" showman cab for surf and western swing but yet overdrive with a good speaker saturation if wanted for Brian Setzer plays his Supro Thunderbolt sound ( used for Songs for Lonely Ave and "13"). For the cab size we used a 20"x21" frame with an 11 1/2" depth which is pretty deep for a guitar combo cab if we're talking fenders. the Weber California w the screen cab is voiced so well for this amp as it does JBL cleans with that signature 60s alnico feel but its ceramic so it has a huge capacity for higher power that the original JBL did not (as a single speaker in an open back application) and since the weber california is rated at 80 watts and the Blondeshell starts breaking up around 6-7 with this speaker so you get plenty of clean for any surf application but if you want this to get all grindy and rawk, put the Dynobrain in front of it and it will overdrive at 3.
    The only change to the amp chassis from the head version is that we added a slope switch that slightly shifts the low mids to a mild scoop if you want to stay cleaner, louder.

ps. I will update the Blondeshell product page soon, as I was trying to get a demo/how to operate video together so I dont have to be printing manuals.

MKunie and Waxhead like this.
  15. Gretschist

Gretschist Gretschie

May 20, 2013
    Cologne, Germany
    Nick, very nice video, I like it! You explain all the items and your sound is great. Thanks - cool amp, nice playin´.
    Best, Al

16. joe007

joe007 Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2013
    ny
    That sound is from the iphone?
    Sounds really good.
    Nice playing also Nick!
    I think you might have helped Tavo sell at least one more of those ;)

17. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Thanks guys. I'm very excited about this amp I've been playing it everyday. The big thing is the feel and response of the amp is where it should be. Like all the nocturne products I've tried this amp has a very organic sound( I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me). I'm basically a blues guy, but we are currently playing American roots type music( blues rock n roll surf rockabilly) so the amp fits perfectly. I'm gonna play it with the band tonight and I will have a video tomorrow.

CatTones and Waxhead like this.
  18. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Thanks tavo I knew it would be great you are more anal about tone then I am. I'm glad I got the first production model of this amp, now I get to show off. :)

19. GentleBen

GentleBen Country Gent

Jul 29, 2008
    Huntsville, Al
    That's a beauty. I'll bet it will be a collectors item one day!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice