NAD!: Is that a Sock Monkey in your trunk?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Plugged into this one at the local GC yesterday and it was love at first power chord:
    [​IMG]
    3 Monkeys Sock Monkey 12/10

It's a slightly scaled back Marshall-y 18 watter pushing 12W via 2 EL84s through a Celestion G10M going through 3 12AX7s providing pre volume w/ a nice boost on a push/pull & B/T tone stack and a very nice master volume along the way from the input jack. So far it sounds and feels like a significantly less noisy and slightly trashier version of my 1974x to my ears and seems to click really well w/ the Jet, Z28, or AST Pro when going for the dual, dirty/clean(er) amp thing.

I took it down to the shop today for Sunday afternoon jams and found it really nicely transportable, if a bit front heavy due to the offset handle, and wasn't leaving me wanting for volume. I doubt it would do the job for usual band practice/gig volumes if we ever got the drummer back, but it seems very workable at bedroom volume through small jam levels dialing it for edge of (or slightly over) breaking up on the hard hits and boosting to glorious and surprisingly muscular crunch and using an OD or fuzz for dirtier pursuits. It gets every bit of the dirt I could see needing just dialing up the preamp volume and slamming it w/ a clean boost (or the built in one) and a slightly hot guitar too.

Here's a shot of the setup this PM:
    [​IMG]
    and I figured I'd share this rare action shot of the North American hairless sasquatch in his default musical posture (trying to stare a hole in his pedalboard :D) that my bass player snapped covertly:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Lionpotato, Henry, benjwri and 4 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Rock it brother and enjoy

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Spiffy looking little amp...Enjoy it Sid!

4. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Enjoy! Sounds like it’s a beast!

5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’ve plugged into many of these. Great amps!

6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Congrats, that's a significant amp.

7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys! I think I'll be enjoying it for quite some time, it seems to fit in a really nice space volume and tonewise for me and is compact and portable enough to make it easy to haul around and won't take up alot of space around the house.

The only improvements I could see pursuing are making provisions for an extension cab if it seems like the OT will take an 8 ohm load (or at least just solder a 1/4" female jack to the output leads) and wiring a footswitch jack for the boost. (edit: after some more searching it looks like it's actually designed for the 8 ohm load, could swore I saw a 16 on the Greenback in mine...)

It sounds surprisingly big as is, but it is somewhat directional even w/ the open back cab. I want to see what it sounds like paired up w/ a/some 12" speaker(s) too. The boost is particularly nice in both upping the dirt a tier and focusing and tightening up the lows and it would get used alot more w/ a stomp switch for it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    What a cool looking amp! Just wow. If it is broadly voiced in the Marshall camp this could be something for me. Nice little package compared to my halfstack/fullstack.

9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    It is an eye catching and really cleanly executed combo for sure :) The mild parallelogram shape of the cab is slightly impractical but it really does add something aesthetically for me. I'm of much the same mind on this one as far as function goes, I've got bigger amps that fulfill my Marshall jones in really great ways, but they often feel like overkill and can be a production number to haul around. This one seems like a great little grab and go amp that covers the dirtier/trashier plexi type sounds a good bit better than my Class 5 (albeit at a hefty hike in price) and w/ a larger range of practical output for me and a more consistent and bigger sound across the volume levels.

I'm absolutely loving the E-Man Vette through it and the VibroRic today :D:
    [​IMG]

loudnlousy likes this.
  10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Oooooh! Sparkles!

11. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I would love to try one for myself. So cute.

12. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Did you know that one of the owners of that company is Brad Withford of Aerosmith fame?

13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I had no idea, that's cool. I've never been a terribly big Aerosmith fan but they do have some rockin' sounds.

loudnlousy likes this.
  14. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I don’t know how it sounds, but it’s sure enough gorgeous. Congratulations!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice