NAD: Gretsches & 5E3s

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Lord Revan, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Electromatic

Dec 31, 2015
    Cleveland, TN
    Recently picked up this Fender Tweed Deluxe reissue. I know a lot of people balk at the price Fender asks for these what with the proliferation of excellent builders, but I bought mine used (essentially new) at a very reasonable price. This is my first foray into 5E3 land and wow I now understand the fascination and devotion people have to this circuit.

Obviously it loves teles but my 6120SSLVO crushes with it. The touch sensitivity and low mid punchy-ness of the Brian Setzer sig TV Jones pick ups are obviously made for a direct to amp set up, and they shine with this amp with harmonically rich, chonky tones that remain clear. I actually recently sold the T-Rex replicator and decided to go full fanboy and purchase a Nocturne Mystery Brain 301 which I am anxiously awaiting.

I typically play different guitars for different gigs and love tele's, strats, les pauls, and es type guitars equally. I'll often play through a small board into either a 74 SFDR or a Quilter 101 reverb & cab. But more and more I end up just bringing the Gretsch, a small delay/boost (hence the recent decision to finally spring for a Mystery brain after years of looking), and the tweed.

Anyone else primarily using a 5e3 circuit?

Gretsch 6120SSLVO.JPG

MKunie, T Bone, moltenmagna and 10 others like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats on the new amp. And the soon to be Mystery Brain as well. That’s a lovely 6120SSLVO too! :)

Here’s my recent thread on the Mystery Brain Treble Cut. Tavo also posted a video on it with tweaking the insides as well. PM me if you’re puzzled by the effects loop jack on the left side. Assuming you decide to try placing something in between the Pre and Echo. It works great but stumps people sometimes.

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/mystery-brain-treble-cut.198769/

southpaw185 likes this.
  3. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    I play a tweed deluxe clone and love it! You have a great combination there, you’re going to have fun with it.

4. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Love my 5e3 clone. My 5120 w/Filtertrons pairs great with it. I always use the unused channel volume to get everything just right (usually right around 11, but if I'm using my Brain as always on, then it goes to 12 (maximum cut)). Enjoy!

5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I love my 5E3 too. Plug that 6120 into the low input and you'll get some good cleans sounds too...:)

6. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Very nice, Congrads

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congratulations .... love that photo too

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats.

PS, KOTOR is one of my favorite games ever.

Lord Revan and GlenP like this.
  9. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    Id love to hear what a gretsch sounds like through a 5e3 WITH a Mystery Brain.

10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The 5E3 ciruit is such a classic. My friend Markus built an amp based on it a ffew years back. It is a totally useable unit. Volume, cleans, dirt, dynamics. Everything spot-on. It is his main amp and I can totally understand his choice.

11. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    A couple of years back I acquired a tweed deluxe made by Clark Amplification. By all accounts a top notch build, and true replica. Agreed it sounded great with a tele, but I struggled with my Gretsch hollow bodies having way too much bass through it. I eventually stumbled on what seems a reasonable explanation: in those days, huge bass from guitars was not a thing. So the circuit doesn't address it.

There are two capacitors right at the input jacks. I had them replaced with caps that filter out some of the bass. Worked like a charm. And easily reversed.

Also, it took me a long time to try jumping the channels. Wow that's where the pay dirt is! A little bit of magic there, I can best describe as fattening the tone. Enjoy!

G5422T likes this.
  12. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Nice, great pairing. Bet they sound fantastic together, and sure have a great vintage look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice