NAD! FMOB it's loud....

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by markeebee, Feb 17, 2018.

1. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Feller was selling this locally, cheap as chips, and I liked the idea of a 'grab and go' one-handed amp after spending too long lugging an AC15 or Pro Reverb around.

[​IMG]

Orange Thunder 30. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for Orange round here, I guess they're seen as a rockers amp. And I guess the looks are a bit love-or-hate.

To be fair, this certainly does contain nuts. The dirty channel goes well into metal territory, which is great fun but not entirely useful for my own purposes. But wound back a little, there's some really lovely crunchy stuff happening. The tone control on this channel is interesting, it scoops the mids like a Big Muff, makes for a really excellent punk rock rhythm guitar grrrrrowl.

The clean channel is quite a revelation. Obviously, the amp is voiced so that there's a LOT of bottom end when you're getting your Slayer on. In clean mode, this gives you some magical depth. There's a lot of sparkle and sheen at the top end. Reminds me a lot of the generic non-MV British 60s valve amp, but with some extra girth and brutishness.

And it's loud. So very loud. Luckily it's switchable down to 15 and 7 watts. At full tilt, the amount of colon-impacting noise coming from such a small box seems to defy physics.

I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would.

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Awesome man, Congrats!

I'm a pretty big fan of most of the Oranges myself. I'm totally w/ you on the crunch and the cleans and the tube combos seeming to sound huger than they have a right to.

I haven't had the opportunity to play any of the Thunders but I think my OR50 will be one of the last amps I'd ever sell, assuming I didn't wind up w/ a CS50 to replace it.

3. JHall55

JHall55 Country Gent

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
    Awesome! I love Orange Amps. Wish I still had my old Rockerverb 50. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats. I guess it's awesome! :)

markeebee likes this.
  5. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Congrats!!
    Lots of love for Orange amps here.. Never played through a bad one & love the sound..

6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Congrats on the new found " Thunder 30 " ..... wonder how they came up with that name ? :rolleyes: Enjoy , love a great deal myself

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats. I need to try me some orange.

8. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Yes, and I know to which extreme I find myself drawn like a magnet!
    BUT!
    You've got an amp that you are really starting to like, which is actually quite versatile, lighter than either the ProReverb or AC15 and was 'cheap as chips' so I'd say that's a mint deal you got yourself there. Well done that man.
    Mind you, chips ain't as cheap as they used to be, as I discovered over Christmas whilst home in your neck of the woods in Blighty.

9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Orange amps are cool. The color can be off putting. Someone with a 6120 and one of these would make quite a statement.

As an aside.......Prince would have loved it. Everyone always thinks his favorite color was purple. It wasn’t. Orange was.

Ricochet likes this.
  10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats!

One of the best experiences i had was playing full tilt through my uncle's original 70's AD 30 combo,my aul 60's 6120 sounded class!:cool:

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I do associate them with stoner sludge and thats a good thing. Very cool, congrats.

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Stoner sludge makes me think of the portolets at dead shows. Thanks!

wabash slim likes this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Orange makes a great looking black amp. I had one in the studio last year and it rocked. The 4-12 cabinet sounded great with vintage 30 speakers but I wouldn't want to lift it more than that one time. That sucker weighted more than 2 Marshall 4-12 cabinets combined. Orange amps sound great for hard rock and metal but I don't care that much for the clean sounds. Maybe the combos are a bit different - I've only ever played through the big stuff.

14. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I still have a Jim Root #4 in storage. Never played. :(

15. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I agree :D
    [​IMG]

The cabs are heavy and awkward (I'd much rather move my 1960A than my PPC212), but they seem to deliver on the lows and low mids in a very warm but detailed way and are really well built IME. They wind up sounding a whole lot more metal/doom/stoner/sludge to my ears if you leave the Vintage 30s in them. I find my OR50 to sound much more to my liking w/ a G12 Gold and a G12H 55Hz (kinda like a roided out AC30 in the best possible ways when you give it a healthy helping of the HF Drive knob).

I think the combos I've played have actually benefitted in their cleans and low volume playing due to the open backs. It really opens things up sonically to my ears. The Tiny Terror combo we've had at the shop sounds way better to me than any of the TT heads into a PPC 112 or 212 I've played and I'll usually open up the Z Best cab and pair that w/ the OR50 when I'm taking it somewhere. Seems to let the highs kinda develop a bit more or something...

I think how much you like the cleans depends on what your definition of "clean" is IMO ;) The OR50 and the AD30s I've played do pretty darn great saturated cleans to my ears. The only downside of dialing them for clean is you loose a fair amount of output volume on the channel w/ the gain turned down.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    MKunie and b80_ like this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    :p

17. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Beautiful amp, congrats! What's not to love about the colour?

---- Music. If it sounds good, it IS good.

18. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Oh, there's a LOT of love for Orange here. You chose wisely my friend!

b80_ likes this.
  19. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I love orange amps congrats. I’d pick up one if I came across a good deal on it

20. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nice score!

Seems to need an orange guitar to go with it.

audept likes this.