[NAD] Fender Deluxe Reverb a Tonemaster

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by 19cad61, Nov 22, 2019.

1. 19cad61

19cad61 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    San Diego
    As the title states, I picked up the controversial Deluxe Reverb! After a lot of trial and error, this amp was best for me all around. I have two tele’s and a Hot Rod. It’s my first real amp after 20 years of playing but who’s counting?! I look forward to enjoying it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    GlenP, MKunie, Zeek and 4 others like this.
  2. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    I'm sure you will enjoy.

About a week ago my local music store rang to tell me they had their first Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb in store. By the time (two days) I got down to the shop to try it out it was GONE.
    These things are flying out of shops here in Oz and the Twin Reverb is vitually unobtainable so you are not alone. :)

19cad61 likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    easy to find on the internet if you want one - at around $1300 not cheap either :)

https://www.bigmusicshop.com.au/content/fender-tone-master-amps.html

19cad61 likes this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I really have to see and test those Tonemaster amps - Would Fender finally be able to built a real solidstate counterpart of their legendary tube amps ? Je demande à voir... o_O

A+!

5. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    The Deluxe version I tried was really good. At some point I’m sure I’ll own one.

6. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I know I'll end up with one eventually, but I've been tempted to sell the Blues Cube and just order one. I'm glad I'm getting better with waiting, 'cause I know I'd end up regretting parting with the BC!

19cad61 likes this.
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I LOVE these amps. They sound totally incredible imo! I want one!

19cad61 likes this.
  8. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
  9. 19cad61

19cad61 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    San Diego
    I was lucky enough to chat it up with my local guitar center manager over the past few months and when one finally came in he placed it on hold. Otherwise like you said it would be gone!

10. 19cad61

19cad61 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    San Diego
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I find them to sound really tube-y. Harmonic rich, overtones etc. I still don't understand how they did it. I have a strong feeling I'll wind up with one even though I have ZERO need. It just totally turned me on when I plugged into it, and I've gone back n played it 3 or 4 times now. Game changer as far as I'm concerned.

Robbie likes this.
  12. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I have not tried one, but I imagine they are a good compromise alternative suitable for a certain target market, which may include me. What causes me hesitation is their price point, but I guess they priced it right if they are flying off the shelves. I would be leaning towards the twin, being a lighter weight alternative to a tube twin, with solid state reliability. But, for now I need to be happy with the crappy little Peavey solid state amp I have now, it is plenty loud enough for the places that I will likely play in the foreseeable future.

Congrats, thanks for the report, I am sure you will enjoy it and make some great music with it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  13. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I haven't tried one yet either. A friend got the Twin model, loved it at first. Within 2 days he sent it back. Haven't gotten his detailed report yet.

I am hearing a lot of love for them, and T. Sims' praise for them here carrys a lot of weight with me.

@19cad61 congrats on getting a "real" amp, I hope it continues to be a good experience!

14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Transistors have been around since the '50s. About time they made 'em sound good enough to compare to tubes. I've heard nothing but positive reviews of the Tonemaster amps. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen (or hearing unplayed, as it were). Try 'em out first. The original Deluxe Reverbs are iconic amps, and the Tonemasters have some big shoes to fill.

Tony65x55 and MotorCentaur like this.
  15. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Well maybe take me with a grain of salt. I am not one who is tied to the “only a tube amp is good enough!” line of thought. I keep an open mind and utilize LOTS of different amplification options. I love tube amps, but I also enjoy solid state and digital. Give me ALL the options, please. That being said, the Tonemaster series are shockingly good. Shockingly good.

T Bone, Waxhead and Tony65x55 like this.
  16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    They are very good amps. Not the "best of amps at any price" yet, but very good nonetheless and worth the price point. Like you, I like anything that sounds and feels good. I think 19cad61 will really enjoy his amp. I still have to try the Twin Reverb yet.

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Hey Glen

Let's assume that Fender somehow "cracked the code" and really has produced a good solid state clone of their Twin.

If that's true with these Tonemasters you'll get a good clean amp with reverb that has value as a pedal platform. The Twin is a big 2x12 for A$1600 (australia price) or a 1x12 Deluxe Reverb for $A1300. Prices are cheaper in USA I know :)

So if that's all you want from an amp (very little) it will be appealing to many people. But the price is not imo. For the same price you can get a Roland Cube Stage/Artist or a good used 2 channel tube amp or a Kemper profiler.

Back to the Tonemasters - who wants a 2x12 - I don't but maybe you do.
    Who wants Tremolo - I don't but maybe you do.

The Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb weighs 32 lbs.
    Tonemaster Twin weighs 45 lbs - I don't call that light but it's 2x12 so big and awkward to carry too.

The footswitch only allows you to change Reverb and Tremolo on/off.
    How useful is that?

You can't change channels with footswitch and I've seen no reviews of the quality of the drive channel anyway. Is the drive good.
    Does it also clone the originals well?

I can see these being attractive to exclusively clean players and those that just want a good clean pedal platform. But just like the originals they have some major downsides and limitations. Are there other better alternatives for same price or cheaper?

In the SS range are these Roland Cube Artist amps more versatile, smaller, lighter and cheaper? You can get these on the used market for under $1000 now.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ube-artist-80-watt-1x12-inch-combo-amp-blonde

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    GlenP likes this.
  18. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Not exactly sure how it works with those two buttons in the picture of the footswitch, but on the Sweetwater page it says: "The Tone Master Twin Reverb combo includes a two-button footswitch for remote channel and FX switching."

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ster-twin-reverb-200-watt-2x12-inch-combo-amp

New gear like this kind of piques your interest though, don't it? Lots of good options out there. That Roland Cube looks nice too.

19. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Sorry, fingers got in the way of thought.:(

20. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Hey Waxhead, the Twin and Deluxe Reverb have never had a drive channel.

As far as the Roland Blues Cube goes they are different animals.
    I've heard your observation that the new blues cube is not much different from the old BC . Well to my ear they are totally different. The new BC has really captured the sag and dynamics of tube amps - but, they are unashamedly ,and by design, tweed in character. The Tonemasters are blackface in character.
    I already own the Blues Cube and most likely will add the Twin at $1329 from Logans in the New Year. It's on back order at that price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice