NAD: At long last, Fryette Power Station 2!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, May 30, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I went back and forth between it and another amp and went for a bedroom amp. Not that I can't crank a half stack here, no one around to complain but I figure its best for the ears and I have another sonic flavor. Thanks @TV the Wired Turtle

The truth is the biggest plus I think with the Freytte for me would be using it with the FPGA amps and cabs in my Antelope gear. Would be cool to hear the recreated amps through a proper power tube amp. Maybe.

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    you got better ears than me Tim :)
    Appears you've made judgements based only on youtube videos.

I can never hear much of any tone changes on any youtube video because, for many reasons you'll be aware of, they are very unreliable,

I've owned a Fryette PS for 2 years and still can't hear any audible tonal changes when the attenuator is engaged thru 8 different tube amps. Once I compensate for the volume reduction its totally transparent to my ears :)

When I amp up though with the PS I can hear significant tonal improvements when running solid state el cheapos like the Roland Cube 60 and a Vox MV50 thru the PS. I've never attempted to amp up any tube amps yet because I've never had a need too.

I've only observed these things from using the PS for 2 years in many different places, guitars and gear. I don't think it's fair or reasonable to be judging the tone of anything musical based on any youtube videos :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Hearing is a funny thing and it's constantly a moving target.
    I spend a large portion of my life in the recording studio mixing and recording all types of music. I never mix on the same day I track a song because it's a different type of listening.
    I record on lots of formats - analog tape, digital at various resolutions and they all sound different.
    When you mix songs you develop or train yourself to listen for tonal balances, volume changes, etc. and you never stop learning. I mix to high resolution digital and most of the time it winds up on crappy MP3 and other lofi formats. After a while you know where the lofi formats suffer and after a while you can hear past those things.
    For instance I would never judge the tone of a guitar or amp I was going to buy on a You Tube video but on the type of on/ off demo like on the Power Station video I could easily hear the changes between the two.
    I have to make those kinds of judgement calls every day I go to work. Over the years I've failed a lot but have gotten better as time's gone by.
    Some people are blessed with great vision where they can see small differences in different shades of blue and green I can sort of do that with sound - but no one's perfect and we all fail at things sometimes.
    The difference in the ON vs Off is not that big and lots of people, maybe even most people might not even hear it and in the big picture it doesn't really matter.
    It's like people who have perfect pitch - they can hear a tone and instantly tell you what key it is. I can't do that. But if I know what key the song is in I can figure out the rest of the chords pretty quickly.
    It all comes down to how you listen to things.
    Musicians listen to things differently than audio guys and vice versa.
    Since I'm a musician as well I have to separate the two. I can't mix a song properly from a guitarist's perspective and I can't play guitar from a sound man's perspective.
    I believe you hear what you say you hear because no two human's hear exactly the same way and thank God for that...:)

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes I agree and besides for being a musician for 30 yrs I also have a science background.
    I was for 20 yrs an expert in industrial noise at the Aust EPA.

I did lots of noise assessments, reviewed EIS, carried out, designed and reviewed many monitoring programs.
    I determined what were acceptable noise levels in different settings and wrote technical noise limit and noise tone conditions. Tonal characteristics are an important part of industrial noise and my ears developed over time also.

Then I've been doing lots of amateur recording in my home studio with limited mid priced gear.
    I've assisted in making youtube videos and understand their technical limitations.

Yes, I agree the on/off format of the PS youtube video helps but these videos are not accurate enough for anyone to be basing definitive judgements on imo. I think the best you could say is maybe and I'd need to confirm with actual real time live assessment.

While your ears will be more sensitive than mine (and probably 99% of the population) I think we'll agree the important part in the design of musical gear is what's audible to the human ear. You might be able to hear things that 99.9% of the rest of the population can't. And in designing anything for commercial use you have to design for the majority of consumers.

Moving to the Fryette PS - if 99% of population can't hear any audible tone difference when attenuating then it's a fabulously successful product imo :)

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I agree.
    It would be cool to record the unit using the same exact performance going through the unit on and then bypassed. Load both the recorded signals into the DAW, line them up and then throw one of them out of phase. If all things where equal and the sound was the same then when you throw one of them out of phase the sound would simply go away. Anything that comes through would be the part of the sound that's not the same.
    This is done quite a lot in the studio when comparing sounds & testing equipment.
    This has been a nice discussion between us. It's nice to chat without someone throwing insults at you because of a difference in opinion - that's why I like this place so much. Not to mentioned how much great information I've picked up here along the way...:).

Waxhead and Henry like this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Some reviewers use looper pedals to do just this, to hear the exact same guitar passage through different settings.

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes Henry you can do this but then the looper pedals have their own technical issues.
    The best way imo is to use studio standard equipment as suggested by Gretschtim1.

But again - the only important thing is whether tone changes are audible to the human ear.
    High end equipment may monitor frequency and tonal changes but if these are not audible to the ears of the great majority of receivers then ...... who cares :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice