NAD: At long last, Fryette Power Station 2!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, May 30, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've been pretty much convinced I needed one of these for the last 7-8 months, but the seemingly perpetual back/pre order status of them at just about any major retailer (or direct even...) and other priorities had prevented me from making it happen.

I placed a pre-order for the next batch that Musician's Friend were supposed to get in last weekend about a month ago only to have them push the expected ship date out to end of June. Drastic measures were required so I cancelled the MF order & paid retail + shipping to finally get one in my grasp from a Reverb seller sitting on a stockpile of them. It arrived today in apparently good shape and factory sealed condition:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I won't get to check it out until this evening by I'm pretty excited to see what I think. I see an awful lot of people wind up w/ the opinion that these have been their best gear purchase ever and I could maybe see that being the case for me as well assuming it sounds and works as well at the cornucopia of what it does as I'm lead to believe it should :) Initial impression on quality of build seems great judging by the weight of it and the solid/sturdy feel of the chassis and the knobs and switches.

I'd also had the carry bag and deluxe rack ear kit on my original MF order, which they shipped instantaneously at the beginning of May. Seems like a fairly decent bag although it's a bit of a tight fit w/ the knobs/switches on the front panel. It'll probably wind up living in one of my short-ish 2U road cases for additional piece of mind:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, after an extended period of anticipation and delayed gratification I kinda had to post a thread on this one after unboxing it. Thanks for taking a look!

Ricochet, Waxhead and blueruins like this.
  2. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Congrats - hope you like it :)

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  4. Congrats. Let us know how it works out. Considered a power cutter before, but never bit the bullet. After reading your post I liked them up. They seem to be out of stock most places. That seems a good sign.

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Hey, Sid. Have you had a chance to try it?

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Its actually lots more than just a power cutter - looky here :)

http://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Congrats . Always a good day for a NAD

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have all the amps I need but this one does seem like a great idea at times. I wanted a more silent option and was leaning heavily to this unit to use with my other amps and sims but wound up with the Baby Blondeshell instead. I am still eyeing this piece of gear for the simple fact that it would enhance the usefulness of every other amp and sim/emulation I have, or so I believe!

Waxhead and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I saw the demo vid. Obviously a very useful device.
    But I bet that you will need some more back-up poweramp tubes from now on.

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks!

Seems to be working great so far but a combo of work and trying to get my mom moved has limited my playtime opportunities to mostly out of the window where I'm comfortable A/B ing the bigger amps attenuated or the smaller ones being amplified by the Fryette. No regrets so far at any rate

Waxhead likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Maybe but my PS has been super reliable so far - no new tubes needed and I always have spare 6L6 tubes anyways :)

12. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Good to learn that. My Alessandro powerbrake eats a lot of EL34s.

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Is that right ehhh :(

There's long threads on the Fryette PS on thegearpage forum and no reports of it eating tubes there either

14. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    It is physics. Has nothing to do with the power attenuator-style itself. When you are pushing the poweramp -tubes more (and that would be my reason to use a device like that) they burn down earlier.

Sid Nitzerglobin and Waxhead like this.
  15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I watched a few demos of Power Station 2.
    One where the guy kept switching back and forth between unit on and bypass.
    Even when I closed my eyes I could hear a difference.
    The guy was using a Vox AC 50 through Celestion vintage 30s.
    I preferred the bypass sound - more open, cleaner top end and tighter bottom end.
    No doubt the unit is usable but it does affect the sound in a way I don't like.
    Plus it seems to be buffering down the output signal from the source amp and running it through another power amp section that in return drives the speaker cabinet.
    In that case how is it possible for it to reproduce the sound accurately?
    I'm not saying the resulting sound isn't good but it is different than the source amp.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it can run without power or as just an attenuator and in my mind, any attenuator is going to affect tone even just a little. But power this baby up and get the flavor of your amp and sims boosted through the 6l6 amp section as well as attenuation if needed, not to mention impedance matching from different amps and cabs. I would love to think that it works perfectly on all combinations but I'm sure there will be a bit of tonal change going on on occasion. In the end, it comes down to does it give a change you can live with and like in the demo how well did the guy set things up, would a slight bit of EQ help, etc. In the end, you never really know until you get to work with on for yourself.

17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Difference in volume alone will change the way the tone is perceived and, short of modeling to replicate it, the response of the speakers to the lowered input will definitely be different when attenuating/amping extensively. That's also physics.

That being said, it's the best sounding attenuator I've tried so far FWIW and seems like a really nice power amp to boot:)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Waxhead and loudnlousy like this.
  18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah you're right. Just the fact that it's running through another power amp section (in this case 6L6s) the original tone of the amp is going to change. I would think most people who buy this unit or any other attenuator is to get the sound of their amp but just at a lower level. On the demos I've heard between bypass and on the sound is different. Like you said it does come down to the user liking or not like the change that's being created by using the unit. Fryette does make amplifiers so you might be better off using one of his amps if you like the sound.
    I'm not interested in spending $600 on another attenuator just to find out what the demos already tell me - it changes the sound in a way I don't like.
    I'm sure some folks will find it very usable it's just not for me.

19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Sorry, but that's a fairly ridiculous statement.

The amp bit is coloring signal way less to my ears w/ any amp I've plugged into it than any other attenuator I've used. You still hear and feel the unique personality of the amp plugged into it and have what seem to me really pretty well designed and subtle options available to offset the SPL related changes to tone.

It'd be really easy to make the source amp sound much different w/ those controls if you wanted to. When used competently and as intended (and in person not listened to via a few YouTube videos) the amps plugged into the PS sound and feel like themselves just quieter/louder, not a Fryette.

Waxhead likes this.
  20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I don't think it's a ridiculous statement at all since in reality you are running your amp through one of his power amp sections which is what's driving the speakers you are listening to.
    Perception of hearing varies greatly from person to person so we just obviously hear things differently.
    Over the years I've been Infatuated with various pieces of gear including attenuators when I first heard them and brought them home only to find that after a few weeks of use I started finding all the warts and hearing all the things which bothered me enough to turn around and sell the thing.
    It happened with me with modelling amps over the past 10 years.
    That happens with lots of people - I hope that you keep loving the Power Station 2.
    Maybe you'll be lucky and the changes in sound won't bother you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice