NAD....an eye opener

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by markeebee, Jul 7, 2019.

1. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I'm really liking my 50W Marshall JMP at the moment. It's heavy though. Not in a Black Sabbath way (although it is), but in a "weighs the same as a horse" way. Also, our basement rehearsal room gets a bit damp. So I wanted to get something that I could leave there without worrying too much about it getting ruined, and was a bit easier to lug around.

This Mosfet combo came up locally. I remember them being billed as a 'solid state JCM800" so I took a punt.

[​IMG]

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Erm, there seems to be a blue guitar in the picture. I thought you only ever played black ones!

3. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Firstly, I totally crapped out on the 'light and portable' thing. It weighs, like, two horses carrying a cargo of bowling balls. Unbelievable. There doesn't seem to be much in there, but I think it's all made of lead.

Also, it goes insanely loud. I always believed that solid state amps were wimpy. This is 100W of brutal force.

But, here's the kicker: it sounds glorious. Really. Genuinely. The clean channel has a real powerful depth to it, actually very reminiscent of a Twin. The mucky channel....if I locked you in a darkened room with this and a 'real' valve amp (and I will do that) I honestly think you would find it difficult to tell which was which.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how good this sounds and surprised by how overlooked this range is. Still, should keep it quiet really 'cos I got it for a hundred quid :p

benjwri, cowmoo, SWoody and 5 others like this.
  4. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

It looks black when I turn the lights out.

Fnarr.

benjwri and Ricochet like this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats Mark. Nice pick. I remember the Mosfet 100 promo speak. “Sounds like a JCM800”. I got real close to getting the head version. Got an Artist 3203 model instead. A hybrid. Being neither, that’s gotta be even worse than Solid state.
    Of course this was the time people waved smelly fingers at ‘80 Japanese LPs. Ha!

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Congrats, sounds like you picked up a winner! Lots of great SS circuits out there whose only 'flaw' is not having tubes.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Ricochet likes this.
  8. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Congrats, a nice companion to your Mosrite?

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok so Marshall have managed to even make a super heavy solid state amp huh - they are special at making absurdly heavy but ......... surely it can't be heavier than a Vox - they really are the experts at heavy for no apparent reason :)

Can you get any decent Malcolm tones out of this new Marshall?
    I'm an ex JCM800 head owner - does your new baby sound anything like a real one?

10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Congrats on the new amp , enjoy

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I had an original 50W Silver Jube. I like the Artist much better. The thing with the Jube was it had to be set offensively loud before it gave up the goods.

Waxhead likes this.
  12. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Yeah, it's AC/DC in a box. Sounds a lot like my JMP in a side by side test.

Don't just take my word for it though.....

MotorCentaur, T Bone and Waxhead like this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

yeah I heard the same thing about the Jubilee.
    I played one once and agreed - great when cranked :)

Ricochet likes this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    To be honest: I never tried one of these because of the Mosfet layout. If it works for you: G R E A T.
    Mabe I should try one and correct my prejustices.

15. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Looks like a great rehearsal amp to have around. So how do you like it? Do you play mainly clean, dirty?

Also what's up with that cool Jag-U-Ahhhr? Duncan Hot or cool rail in the bridge?

16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats. Any idea of the actual weight?

17. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I'm in a bit of a dilemma really. I like a fairly crunchy sound best. I can't work out with this amp whether I like the clean channel with the gain up, or dirty with the gain down.

Yeah, it's a Hot Rails. Sacrilege, I know :D

18. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

According to my bathroom scales, it's 77lbs / 35kg. AC30 is 70lbs, Fender Twin is 64lbs.

I haven't taken the chassis out yet, but I'm assuming there's a black hole in there.

Henry and MTurner like this.
  19. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    You'll be needing a roadie. Someone not too bright, but very good at lifting things.

20. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    77 lbs, is it loaded with a pair of EVM speakers??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice