NAD....3rd time's a charm?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by markeebee, Jul 25, 2019.

1. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

[​IMG]

It's a Mesa Boogie Studio Caliber.

I've had two Calibers previously, both were the 50W DC-5 version. The first one sounded great, but the master volume was a bit weird. It went from totally silent to totally deafening in the smallest increment of the knob. Nothing in between, so impossible to use at rehearsals or whatever.

I sold it, but I missed it. Better cleans than anything I've heard except my Hiwatt, and righteous punky gain sounds, and you could lift it with two fingers. So I bought another.

Guess what? It went from totally silent to totally deafening in the smallest increment of the MV knob. So I sold it.

I happened across this one last week at a reasonable price. Its the 20W version. So far, I've managed to play it at less than deafening levels at home, so that's good. Looking forward to trying it in a band setting.

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    And how much more black could it be!

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats! I've heard great things about these. Ive honestly never played a Mesa over 25w, those are already deafening. On my Mesa at 5w, it still takes careful control of the master volume.

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I used to own a Caliber 50. It was a very nice rock amp.

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats on the cool amp,but i'm lovin' that Rick,one of Larry's creations IIRC!:cool:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Congrats, what's it sound like?

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok as a Boogie lover I've never seen or played a Caliber.
    20w sounds like a better behaved model so well done and ..... enjoy :)

Over the years MB have really improved their master volume controls
    The Mark Vs are just fantastic at low volume with lots easy control on the dial

8. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats Mark. Those Calibers and Studios are so affordable these days. Lotsa amp for your bucks.

10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

The clean channel seems very versatile. I'd say that it's core sound is kinda like a slightly dark Vox, but there's a lot of scope for adjustment, the tonestack is quite powerful.

I'm not convinced by the dirty channel at the moment, there's a vaguely nasal buzzy component that I can't dial out, almost like a cheap boogie simulation pedal. To be fair, I've only used it at very low volume at home, I'm hoping it'll open up a bit when I turn it up get some extra thud from the speaker.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Those Mesas are beautiful amps, congrats on your new tone machine. Question: Did you think of swapping out the volume pot in the DC5 for something with a more sensible taper?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

12. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Yes, I swapped out the linear pot for a log one. It didn't make very much difference to the response, probably because its quite a small value. I was going to revise the effects loop from parallel to hard-connected series and then use the return level as a MV.......seemed like too much hassle really.

pmac11 likes this.
  13. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Also, I didn't like the grey vinyl of the first DC-5 I had, so I built a new head and 4x10 cab for it.....

[​IMG]

loudnlousy, pmac11 and MTurner like this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    There's an amp in that picture? All I see is a beautiful Rickenbacker with toaster pickups...:D.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice