NAD - 22 watt Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Tony65x55, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    A few months ago I purchased a 1x12" cab for my silverface Princeton Reverb. In doing so I met Brian Luckhurst, a gifted amp guy totally addicted to the blackface Princeton Reverb. He explained that he manufactured PRs (the AA1164 pre-CBS circuit), only using very high quality components like Mercury Magnetic transformers, etc.

He also stated he was making them in the traditional 12 watt format, but also a 22W, a 35W and a 45W, depending on different transformers and power tubes, but all with the standard PR front end. At that time I tried a 22W and 35W, both of which sounded really nice. All of these amps have 12" speakers unless otherwise specified.

Now I love the sound of a Princeton and use one every chance I can. As one of the most recorded amps in history, it is a great amp for session work, rehearsals and small club work but pretty light for anything bigger. I like the Deluxe Reverb too and own two. They are wonderful amps but I find the sonic balance of the Princeton more pleasing to my ear.

I asked Brian if he could build me a 22W PR and I will supply the speaker as I always have a couple of Eminence 1258 Legends kicking around. They are an economical and terrific sounding 12" speaker, working really well in many amps. He said it would be no problem.

I picked it up a few days ago and have run about thirty different guitars through it. It sounds really, really (REALLY) good. I used my stand-by JJ 6V6S in the power section and a Tung Sol 12ax7 in V1.

My long suffering wife doesn't mind if I crack it up so I did. It is appreciably louder than my silverface and my '68 Custom Princeton Reverbs and should serve well as a nicely portable amp for everything but the biggest gigs. The reverb is deep and lush with an Accutronics tank and true to form, the tremolo is as wonderful as the Princeton Reverb can be.

As a bonus, you can see in the pics, on the far right hand side of the rear panel, there are two small black discs. They are points for adjusting the bias and the bias adjusting pot is cleverly hidden inside the extension speaker jack. Simply insert a flat screwdriver and away you go.

I have been playing the daylights out of this little wonder for 4 days and nights now. It is absolutely a keeper in every way, the kind of amp you can depend on for almost any chore without it blowing off the barn doors. It is quiet and sounds as good as any PR I have ever heard, in fact, it is even better than my sweet little silverface or the '68 Custom PR.

And when you thought it couldn't get better, Brian charged me $1000 canuck bucks for this amp. That is $640 USD!!! Seriously.

PR Front.jpg PR back.jpg PR x 2.jpg PR Fender wall.jpg

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    That's a really cool score, Tony! Congrats!

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Very cool, my favorite color too

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nice pile of amps!

rockinforJesus likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats Tony, that looks great!
    And 640 bucks? you could buy a cab for that with some manufacturers, and it be empty LOL!

Gretschmen65 and Wozob like this.
  6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Ya thanks, it's a keeper and the price is staggering. In Canada, a PRRI is $1350 new and a '68 is $1220 new - plus 13% sales tax!

I think a 35W and a 12W are in the crystal ball as well.

7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Thanks but that's not even all the Fenders. There's a 68 custom PR and a 1972 Twin Reverb missing and four tweeds too. And my big collection is Traynors LOL.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  8. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    All I can say is, Wow !!

9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    For sure Rich. You can beat the price with a stick. This is a totally hand made amp done to the blackface AA1164 schematic. (almost)

Ricochet likes this.
  10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats Tony, and what a great amp to add to your Fender herd!

11. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
  12. WernerF

WernerF Gretschie

Jan 14, 2015
    Antwerp,Belgium
    Nice collection, cool ! enjoy !

13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Cool score and nice collection!

14. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    From the collection of nice Fender amps you own praise of the custom build PR is well respected. It not like you don't have anything to compare to form your opinions.

15. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That's great Tony , congrats and enjoy

16. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Why oh why would you let me see this Tony?....LOL

This sounds exceptional and you have my poor little brain working overtime.

Nice one buddy!!

17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Indeed. That is true. I love collecting amps and guitars and honestly don't know how many I have of each. I collect them because of their differences and I play every one of them. Most of them are pretty amazing in their own right or I wouldn't buy them and maintain them. If I don't love them they get traded out.

There are many more Traynors in the collection. They are as good as any and better than most. There is also some Gibsons and Ampegs, a half dozen boutique amps and a half dozen odds and sods.

The point is, I do have some serious amps in the collection and I am comparing the PR to some pretty heady competition.

This Princeton Reverb amp is a delight.

18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    This Princeton Reverb amp is a delight.[/QUOTE]

STOP...please:D

19. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Handwired and everything? What's speaker is in there? How does this guy make any money?! Lol!

20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    LOL. Thanks Robb. You might notice in the big amp pic that at the bottom of the centre column there is a 68 Custom DR. My 68 Custom PR is residing at the Groovediggers' jam space this month. The 68 Customs are very nice amplifiers, they truly are.

This little Princeton lives at the next level, the place where real vintage and boutique amps live. Best of all, it is significantly cheaper than the cost of standard production amps as Brian does this for fun. His real business is marine electronics, radars, etc.

This little beast would sound really good with Lit'l Chicago (hint, hint, nudge, wink)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice