NAD! ‘63 Vibroverb reissue...need speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Grand Marquis GT, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Grand Marquis GT

Grand Marquis GT Electromatic

Mar 2, 2017
    Abilene, TX
    8F312A95-6D31-411D-9648-9386868630F9.jpeg So, I scored this guy for a great deal, with ratty grill cloth and a damaged speaker.

I am primarily a rockabilly player, and looking for a set of 10” speakers that will allow me to have tons of clean, bright headroom. What does everyone suggest? I know Tavo loves the Vintage 30s, would the Celestion Vintage G10 work as well for what I want?

Thanks in advance! Can’t wait to get crackin’ on this one!

Lionpotato, dak55 and Chmason85 like this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That should have Eminence blue frame Alnico's in it. If you have both and only one is bad then by all means get the bad one re coned. Those are great amps with the original speakers.
    You scored for 500buk

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Even with the damage, that's a great deal on a great amp!

4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    SCORE!!! Great price. Grill cloth and speakers are cheap. I've been playing with the newish Eminence 10" Red Fang Ceramic. These things sound really good. Terrific with the 68 Bassman, pretty good with the 61 Bassman. There are so many really good 10" speakers out there. Eminence has the Copperheads which do a classic American sound, the Ragin' Cajuns will slice through a mix like a razor knife and if your amp has a lot of top and bottom, the Emi Legend is a nice middle of the road speaker that can smooth those peaks out.

Celestion 10" Greenback are really nice and Celestion Gold 10" are amazing but stupid expensive. Lots of choices. What tonal palette are you looking for?

5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Great amp. I‘ve played the same in my Rockabillyband 15 years ago, really loved it but replaced it for a Bassman reissue. Stupid.

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Exactly like one of my friends ! He wanted me to replace the speakers and recloth the baffle. He bought a pair of P10Q Jensen RI and asked me to do the job. Difficult to chose more awful than those P10, but it's what he wanted absolutely in his amp...

So he left me the factory-original pair of speakers, that were RI Oxford 10". One was only locally damaged on the surround but I could repair it satisfactorily, the other was mint. I installed one in my 1980 SF Princeton Reverb, and it turned to be an excellent speaker !

[​IMG]

I don't know what speaker are installed in your (good deal !) Vibroverb, but they may be worth to repair too... o_O

A+!

7. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Was the amp new and damaged in shipping or just treated terribly by the previous owner? Nice score either way!

8. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    I had modern Jensens in mine for about 10 years, a P10R and C10R, great sounding combo! I just recently put a pair of Weber P10Qs (10a125's) in. They're a little more efficient (louder) and sound a touch more punchy. All in a good way.

I had a 12" Gold in a 5e3 for a while, made the amp sound really Marshally. It didn't do well at low volumes... too dark. I really did like the 12" Gold. But, I changed it to an Eminence 1228. At volume, the Gold was a glorious speaker! I have contemplated a 10" gold in one of my new amps.

The original speakers in those were referred to as Oxfart copies. They tended to fat out from the bass response. The pair that was in mine when I bought it sounded creamy and a little mushy to me.

There are all kinds of choices these days. I hate searching for new speakers... Too many choices, really. Good luck, though!

9. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I would give a WGS wharehouse veteran 10” a try.
    I use to be a tester for an Italian cabinet manufacturer and those were by far the best ten inches I tried.

Lionpotato likes this.
  10. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I'd try the Emi GA SC 10".
    I had two of those speakers your amp has, they are dog doo and most people change them out. I bought them because I had a '60 Super and couldnt find any original 10K5 Oxfords. They used to come up on Ebay often and dirt cheap. I paid $10 each for the two I bought. Those, like in your amp, are labeled as 10K5 for aesthetics but of course not really Oxfords. I ended up having mine reconed to real Oxford specs and I even added some bell covers painted brown like the real 10K5's for the amp. It all ended well. The originals look like this 12" version pictured.
    [​IMG]

11. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    The stock Oxfords get a real bad rap on a lot of forums but like you, I also think they sound great - very nice vintage tone. The low end does get a bit mushy when you go past 5 on the volume but I didn't really notice that or find it to be a problem until I played my 63RI on a larger stage with a full band.

hcsterg and Lionpotato like this.
  12. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Killer deal at $499. I have a very early serial no. 63 Vibroverb Reissue from 1990. I put a set of Eminence Copperheads in it which did tighten and clear things up a bit over the stock Oxfords which are not very efficient. The Coppers sound nice... I would not say their tone knocked my socks off but they are a solid option nonetheless and reasonably priced. The Vibroverb, like most Fender combos runs at 4 ohms so make sure you purchase speakers with the correct impedance; 8 ohms is what you want (two 8 ohm speakers wired parallel = 4 ohms). Have fun!

13. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Weber & Eminence make great speakers.

14. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Electromatic

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Check out the website vintagefenderamprepair. He has custom WGS speakers made to his specs. I have a 10” Fat Jimmy ceramic speaker in my 66 Princeton Reverb. Heavenly! I also have an Alnico 50 watt 12” for 72 Bassman wired to 63 Blonde specs...beautiful chime. I’m extremely picky on speakers and tried tons of options. For Fender amps it’s hard to beat Fat Jimmy speakers made by WGS. Also Jupiter speakers are incredible. Same thing as Fat Jimmy just tweaked a little different. For the 10” get the 25 watt. The 50 watt is too dark. 25 watt is perfect. I push my amp hard with pedals and it’s holds up beautifully.