N(POS)GD

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by calebaaron666, Jan 9, 2019.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    There’s no “Other Crappy Guitars” topic here, so I’m posting in the Other Cool Guitars section.
    Already posted this pic in the black guitar thread, but whatever.

I traded my danelectro Spring King reverb pedal (I had listed for $115), straight up for an Indonesian 2008 Squier Strat. It’s useless at the moment. All i’ve done is straighten the neck and tuned the old strings as best I could just to test the action.

To do list:
    1.Smooth both sides of neck to rid of stabby frets and sharp edges.

2. Replace bridge with a higher quality fender trem. Sticking with a 2 screw mount if possible.

3. Pickups, I’m either going to over do it and get some TVJ Starwoods, or underdo it and get a loaded pickguard from Dragonfire. I gotta sleep on it. I’m not a fan of the HSS config. I’ve had it twice before. I’m gonna go classic with 3 single coils. Definitely gonna toss the white guard for something hotter.

4. Tuners and nut (if needed).

6. Paint headstock a cool/crude rattlecan glossy black to match body.

And I think That’ll do it!

Gonna be a pricey and foolhardy project. I wanna start collecting materials next payday.
    72545087-FCAA-4694-A7B8-E3A7C73C11C3.jpeg 712320D4-81DC-4219-A6D2-32DD02663D8F.jpeg 850176C1-1B88-4656-987D-19BF60CF1A5F.jpeg B8F1AE9D-443D-4824-8CF6-2EB9933AADCC.jpeg

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've had a few of these Indonesian Squier Strats cross my path that turned out to be pretty darn nice players w/ a bit of sweat equity. Congrats and enjoy the project!

calebaaron666 likes this.
  3. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thanx!
    You ever do any fun mods to yours?

4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Not to those strats, but I've put rims on a whole lot of Civics so to speak ;) Like to the tune of everything bolted/screwed onto the original wood had an aggregate worth of 6-7 times the cost of the host "beater" :oops:

It's not cost effective, but if you have your basic needs covered and have fun w/ it, I personally feel it's worth it regardless. Just save the original bits so you can take it back to stock before you sell it if you wind up feeling that's necessary at some point.

If you're looking for a fairly cheap option for vintage + output strat pups, I've liked the couple of Kent Armstrong Dual Blade Cool wind ones I grabbed a few months back for experimentation on the cheaper project guitars, FWIW. I think I wound up paying ~$35/pickup new off of Reverb. Some of the Mexican Fender alnico strat pickups have been pretty cool sounding to me as well and usually seem to be fairly available and cheap as pull offs...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  5. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I hear ya. I’m not too too concerened with resale. My Streamliner was a money hole, but now she’s a killer axe. I’ll never make back what I put into it, but I’m planning in keeping it anyway.
    I’ve needed a strat for a while. This will be that strat!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  6. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    I sat on a project like that for a while. I thought GFS lipsticks would be unique and maybe a designated slide.

7. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I was thinking of doing something different with the pickups, like maybe filtertrons, or p90’s or something, BUT I’ve been aching for a standard strat for a while. It’s been missing from my arsenal.

8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cool. That bridge is not bad, get a steel block from GFS. Don't buy no parts till i look in my junk drawers man, i think i have some stuff for you.

9. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Hell yeah. Thanx Ace!
    Yeah, i may just get new saddles. I was relieved I was able to get the neck straight. This thing looks like it’s been under a bed since it was born. The electronics are all trashed, and the trem block only has two weak brown springs attached right now.

10. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Wow, this ain’t bad for $41
    93FA7197-EDBD-4EA2-9FD4-D35645372BB4.png

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    They sell just the block for around 20 bux.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The standard is a pretty good one, solid wood body, maple/Rosewood neck. You should be able to make a good Strat from that. I know i have a decal for the headstock when you paint it.

13. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    You ever try the GFS strat pups?

Lizardkinged likes this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Nope Eman uses them alot.

15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think he likes the fullertons.

16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Dude, look what i found. I think this would look killer on black. 20190109_194456.jpg

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Its a legit one too. 20190109_194505.jpg

18. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    That is pretty hot, but I’m set on getting a black one. I love a black on black on black strat.

thunder58 likes this.
  19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Ill see what else i got.

20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    With kitty next to it, you can be sure it's not possessed. Good luck and look forward to seeing what you do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice