N(and first!)GD....

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by EssEll, Oct 15, 2019.

1. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Yes, I’ve read plenty of good comments on these pickups. And yeah, they’re not the Cadillac of tuners, appearance-wise, for sure. I’m assuming they’ll do their job though. I won’t let anyone look at the back of the headstock!

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Congratulations! Welcome to the Gretsch addiction.

EssEll likes this.
  3. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    That's a good day... congrats!

EssEll likes this.
  4. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Congratulations on a beauty. Did you get the new case that smells like nail polish, or the one that smells like play dough?

EssEll likes this.
  5. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Nice.... congrats!

EssEll likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
  7. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Nice one! I'm not surprised that you're hooked ... these are great guitars!

The 22 lost a close race to a 20 in my case ... but neither would be wrong in any way ... I totally see how a 5422 is better than a 5420, but I also see the other way - in the long run, you're safe if you have both. Better access to high frets vs bigger body - but, in the end, you're wrong with neither of them.

How does she feel? Everything alright? The pickup selector is said to be crap in the Electromatic models, but I can't back this up, mine works fine since the first day.

The bridge may not be what makes you happy forever, I'd highly recommend a Truarc here - they make the compensation profile for this guitar and 10s - intonation is a bit of luck with them, but mine is as close as possible - I guess most adjustable bridges are adjusted worse, meaning the only minor issue es that the D string is a little off at 12th fret - all the others are as close as my tuning device can tell.

But, anyway - the Electromatic guitars ... I guess all of them, although I only have one and played a few more ... are great guitars, especially after their last update in 2016. Thier price isn't totally off or hard to justify by any means, you get a lot for your money here. The only major flaw I could see is ... when you buy a hollowbody and want a solidbody. Or the other way round. But that's like accusing a bird of being no squirrel...

Have fun!

... you already do anyway, right...?

new6659 likes this.
  8. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    I hear you there. I've always liked single cutaways too but this look just grabbed me. Jusrt beautiful guitars....

9. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Hmmm... not sure yet on that. It definitely has a "new" smell but I'll have to check on that.

10. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    So far it feels great. Played it for a couple of hours last night through my Bose S1 Pro with a good dose of reverb on it, and still getting to know it of course. Used the trem a fair amount, with a light touch, and found some slight tuning issues as a result (and heck, the strings are brand-new too, so...) , but I hear that comes with the territory. Plays great though and I even dialed the bridge down just a tad on each side and improved the action even more. I hadn't heard anything ever yet about the pickup selector being bad -- no issues with it yet but I've only used it a couple times of course. It's a very inspiring guitar, for sure... They do seem to be great values, and I got even a sweeter deal than Sweetwater advertises. Happy as a clam so far!

DennisC likes this.
  11. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Yes, there is no doublecut-hollowbody in the proline at the moment, only centerblock ones. Sometimes there were some, but currently it's Electromatic exclusive - which makes the 5422, as only of her kind, also the highest-placed of her kind. Streamliner - same as pro, doublecut centerblock, singlecut hollow, that's it. They're fine, too, I have one - and, apart from taste and cosmetic stuff, see it in no way as inferior to anything. If I was to choose a one and only Gretsch for me, it sure would be a 5422, but for now I'm quite happy with a 5420 and a 2622 - both very differently sounding, but feeling quite similar, aside from the obvious.

The switch ... well, mine is fine, too, after a year and a few weeks or so (... when did I buy it? Let's see ... Mika was still alive ... a bit of calculating and looking up ... was a saturday ... August, 26th 2018), but some had to replace it pretty early.

Anyway, it's a great choice. If the switch won't last too long ... replce and continue enjoying te play and hear and feel and stuff. Wait and see.

The first few weeks I was totally stunned about how nice this guitar plays and feels and looks. I'm at home only on weekends (or during vacation - like right now), was the same last year, and as I always have the Tele with me (she's a robust bastardette...) when I'm rented to somewhere, I always looked forward to coming home, grabbing her and play at least a few chords, no matter what time it was (and freaked out everytime the railway-guys messed up their schedule ... which they are great at - you can always rely on them messing up their own plans.......), and everytime I just thought ... damned, that sounds brilliant, feels awesome and looks really cool... Usually, I don't even like golden stuff at all, but here it just fits, butt on bucket ("Arsch auf Eimer" in german).

EssEll likes this.
  12. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Ah, and a Telecaster fan as well! We're going to get along quite well.... :)
    (And thanks for the info!)

DennisC likes this.
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Great looking geet,congrats sir!

EssEll likes this.
  14. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Oh, and, just for the record, I'd also be remiss if I didn't let you know about some original music I have available (with free Soundcloud listens, of course)... see this thread.

15. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I don't know why folks put down the stock tuners. They are 18.1 and I have had them for 3 years and have never had a problem. Can't see changing them out till they fail me. Now to the guitar, you are going love it the way it is. Don't start mods till you play it awhile.

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice