Join Gretsch-Talk Today

My visit to WildWood Guitars!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Crooner, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    This past weekend I was in Boulder, Colorado for my best friend's 50 birthday party. Naturally, I took Molly with me. The last day I was there, we went to WildWood Guitars to see where the magic happens.

The staff there is excellent, friendly and über-cool. I was greeted by Steve, the owner, who explained that the store itself is rather small, and most of their amazing selection is next door at a large warehouse. Still, there were plenty of cool guitars on the wall. The main one I spotted was a Turquoise Sparkle Stephen Stern Duo Jet that Greg Koch demo'd for them on YouTube. They set me up in a private room and here is my experience...

Enjoy!

Here is Molly playing with the WW mascot, Baloo...

IMG_5233.JPG

They made fast friends and played for about five minutes.

If anyone gets a chance, I highly recommend stopping in and visiting WildWood. You won't regret it!

JC higgy, ronbo, Aymara and 12 others like this.
  2. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    When I lived in metro Denver, Wildwood was the closest store to my house. I'd go up, talk to Steve, play some chord-melody songs and just sort of blend into the wallpaper. I make it a point to visit every time I'm up that way.

CatTones, Wulfgang and MKunie like this.
  4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    BTW, the store itself is quite small, but their stock is world class.

5. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Steve actually asked about you, Synchro! I mentioned G-T and he said that he knew one of the admins and that he remembered you being there a lot! No kidding.

It's true... their stock is amazing. I also played a gorgeous Martin 000-42 that sounded as big as a house and played like a dream. Nice V neck and 24.9" scale. Unfortunately, it was on consignment and the owner wants almost what a new one costs.

The T-shirt they gave me is very cool!

I asked Steve about how they came to work with Greg Koch and he said, "Greg came in one day and played a few guitars and was so funny I asked him if he would be interested in doing demos for us. He asked if I was really offering him a job and I said yes! The first time he filmed for us we were all in tears from laughter."

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Oh great! Now that you reminded him he'll probably get the restraining order renewed. :)

I miss Colorado so much.

DavidLee likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Crooner , that is so cool and a great demo also . Thanks for sharing ....... oh , and thank you too Molly

8. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    So cool, Crooner!

9. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Thanks, Guys!

Oh... and,

Molly Blue Scarf.jpg

Staffs Blue, audept and thunder58 like this.
  10. DavidLee

DavidLee Synchromatic

Oct 11, 2014
    Des Moines
    Awesome Crooner. I have purchased guitars from Wildwood but I gotta tell you - I'm GLAD I don't live nearby. That would be dangerous for me & more importantly - my wallet. Thanks for the video! I don't know of anyone who doesn't love those guys. :cool:

JC higgy and ronbo like this.
  11. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    Nice playing & fab sounding Dou Jet! longtime fan of Greg's playing to. Hope to make it out there one day.

12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Great report Darin. Thanks. You too Molly. That's my dog's name too. Are you dogs related? Molly.JPG

Staffs Blue and audept like this.
  13. Denver Twang

Denver Twang Gretschie

Sep 24, 2014
    Denver
    I was there this summer and had a great experience too. Unfortunately most of their inventory isn't out front, but if you ask, they provide.

14. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Excellent post. I had always imagined the place would be HUGE. I also imagined Crooner to be about 60!

15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I didn't know that Wildwood Guitars is in Denver. The next time I go visit my son in Denver, I'll have to stop by.

Cool video Crooner!

Wulfgang likes this.
  16. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Thanks for the kind words! I have a new appreciation for folks who do YouTube demos. When the camera is running it's easy to freeze up and draw a blank on what to say or play!

That Duo Jet really played sweet. It had a nice D shaped neck that felt very comfy and substantial. Its's a good thing it isn't a double-cut or I'd be in serious trouble.

17. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston

HA! Thanks.

It's actually in Louisville, which is pronounced "loo-is-vill" and not "louie-vill." I learned this the hard way when I was corrected by some folks in Boulder. ;-)

mbkri likes this.
  18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    There is a building nearby which serves as a warehouse. It’s pretty big, but the storefront for Wildwood is quite small. I’d be surprised if the building is less than 100 years old.

With regard to Crooner and the number 60, are you talking IQ, or shoe size? :)

Louisville, north of Broomfield, east of Boulder, south of Longmont.

mbkri likes this.
  19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Oh yeah, pronounce it like the city in Kentucky and you might meet with some hostility. I did construction work up there in the ‘70s and that little town had some serious pride in itself.

20. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Thanks for the video. Gorgeous Guitar and you are no more of a dork than any of us at a Guitar store in a private room with a great guitar

DavidLee and CatTones like this.