My Tele can beat up your Tele!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by calebaaron666, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Not mine but this one would beat up yours for being too pretty.
    [​IMG]

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    But mine has a bigsby, so it has an advantage in the fight. ;)

diamoroso and Freshy like this.
  3. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Added a few more brass screws to anchor the leather, and a new control plate that’s far more rugged.
    09F7E78C-138B-4F52-85FD-7F8744FB2323.jpeg

diamoroso, Telechamp and Jena like this.
  4. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I love the pirate treasure chest!
    pirate wallet.jpg

Jena, diamoroso and calebaaron666 like this.
  6. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Hm, so ... you have a threeway and a volume, right?

I'd recommend one little change about this - maybe it's worth a try ... insert a balance-pot, but connect only wiper and one end, in line with each pickup's hot wire, so you can reduce the volume of either neck or bridge pickup in middle position, but without additional load. This actually makes me start using the middle positions I have in my one now, as before the latest rewiring she had individual volumes only, meaning I'd have two times 500 kOhm in parallel mode - effectively 250 kOhm of load, plus the tone - now I always have 500 kOhm plus the tone, in the positions using both pickups, too. A great advantage! She's much brighter now in these positions, and the adjustment is much easier (but I don't wanna write an ad for my wiring here now ... I posted one a few weeks ago).

I used a 250 kOhm single pot, but a push-pull, as I had a fiveway switch on hand anyway and needed the switch below it. Otherwise, I'd use a balance, would then only need one middle position and ... I'd do something with the other position, maybe OoP or something ... anyway, as it wouldn't be wired to add load, but to prevent adding load, and 250 kOhm is a lot, a 50 or 100 kOhm balance-pot would be the right device for this.

But ... don't know if this reads like "Do what I did!" ... that's not my intention! It's just an idea I really like ... variable mixing of two sources instead of just switching, without too much stuff to insert and without looking weird for having too many knobs - the usual two...

Anyway, I do like her like she is now! Seems she's a good match to her player, which is what counts most anyway and every time.

I left mine in the hotel I stayed in last week and will stay in next week and already miss her, although I wasn't at home much (Grandma's birthday - can't miss that one, she's 91 now), I really love the middle positions now... Blending in a little bit of neck pickup is an alternative to a tone pot with very low capacity, but it has more ... it sounds more vital, you know, as I don't filter out any treble, but add a little bit of less twangy output to the twangy main-pickup ... or, the other way round, when neck is the primary pickup, adding a bit of bridge makes she sound a bit more defined.

Your Tele and my Tele would be friends for sure if they knew each other!

Jena and calebaaron666 like this.
  7. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    @DennisC
    That sounds like a good mod, but I actually already love the middle position on this thing. I use it all of the time believe it or not.

Thanx for sharing your new mod. I’d like to see this tele!

8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I really like what youve done with this tele. That leatherwork is great.
    Not sure about the Gretsch “g” knob though. (?)

Jena and calebaaron666 like this.
  9. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Definitely looks like the baddest Tele on the planet. Is that the one with the bridge I sent you?

calebaaron666 likes this.
  10. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    You bet!
    Can’t thank you enough for that thing. I haven’t had an issue playing this guitar since adding it!

diamoroso likes this.
  11. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    You shoulda went MaryK pink with a white pickguard.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Don’t forget to get a Tetanus shot before or right after you handle that rust bucket.

Freshy and calebaaron666 like this.
  13. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I had a Hello Kitty Start for a while.....

14. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    New guy here. Man that is one nice Pirate GuitaRRRRRRRRRR.

Sorry, it had to be done.

These reclaimed wood guitars (mostly teles) are kind of like a Franken-guitar, taking parts from the grave you know? (Demolished buildings anyway)
    http://wallacedetroitguitars.com/

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  15. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    @panhead6zero is responsible for the awesome leather work, I did everything else.
    Yeah, i like the G knob, it kinda looks like a gold coin to me. I also love the feel of gretsch knobs. But who knows? I may find something better eventually.

16. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Maybe a couple (better 3, to reach some good thickness) of real gold coins (0r, maybe, some gold finish old Spanish Doubloon coin repro... less expensive ;)) welded together like a knob! :)

17. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes! Or maybe attach a gold coin to the top of the G knob!

stiv likes this.
  18. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    That would work as well!

19. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Or maybe some type of colorful crystal or gem, like the big ones Mikey had in his marble bag at the end of the Goonies from One-eyed Willie’s ship.

That might get too bedazzled looking instead of pirate though.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice