My Streamliner G2622T with upgrades!

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by boots64, Nov 8, 2017.

1. boots64

boots64 Electromatic

Oct 22, 2017
    Grosse Pointe Park, MI, USA
    Hey y'all,

Just wanted to show you guys and gals my G2622T streamliner with the upgrades I made to it. It now has chrome Gretsch arrow knobs, a chrome switch tip, silver pickup rings, and, best yet, HS Filtertrons pickups in neck and bridge! I also put on my pickguard from my G5622t just to see if it would fit (it does!). Not sure if I'm going to order the silver color as in the picture though. I'm thinking the same style in black with gold vintage style "Gretsch" logo (like the logo on the original streamliner pickguard) would look sweet and match the guitar better.

Best of all, this guitar sounds AMAZING to me now. The pickups really made a huge difference. Copy of 20171107_181441.jpg

2. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Great stuff, boots64.
    I did something quite similar to my G2622: changed the pups to Rockinger AlNiCo II, put on a Les Trem II, black knobs and added a different wiring. These streamliners aren't perfect, but you can mod them easily to become great workhorses!

boots64 likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice mods!

boots64 likes this.
  4. boots64

boots64 Electromatic

Oct 22, 2017
    Thx guys! The guitar sounded great with stock pickups as well. Just great in a different way now!

5. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    That looks really nice, good job !!

6. boots64

boots64 Electromatic

Oct 22, 2017
    Thx Gretschman2!

Just thought I'd mention this cool feature of the Streamliner G26xx models for those who may not know (I just discovered it yesterday:)) They are built with the lower neck profile (where neck joins body) just like the Pro line "Players Series". I have an Electromatic G5622T (newer two pickup version) and I must admit, I like playing the Streamliner more because the neck feels "faster" and more comfortable. AFAIK, the G24xx series Streamliner does not come with low profile neck. I'm not positive on that, though. It appears that way in pics that I've seen. I don't believe any of the new Electromatics have the lower profile neck as well. Just something to consider...

MarkyMac likes this.
  7. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    As much as I love my 5420T stock (except for pots) I must admit that this one really shines with the upgrades. Congrats!

8. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Nice work. The Streamliners are brilliant modding platforms.

Willie D likes this.
  9. boots64

boots64 Electromatic

Oct 22, 2017
    Dave-B, I totally agree! Let's see...I paid 375 USD for guitar and approximately 175 USD in upgrades. That equals 550 USD and one hell of a nice sounding and good looking guitar, IMO! :cool: It sounds better than my 900 dollar G5622T, to be honest...

10. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
    Now, there is some impeccable modding. Congrats!
    By the way, could you tell us about your pup replacement process? I suppose you had to drill new screw holes, am I wrong?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  11. boots64

boots64 Electromatic

Oct 22, 2017
    Thx Calula!

Well, the pup replacements...actually a pretty funny story (to me anyway) looking back at it... So, when I took out the old pups, there is a cut-out from the center block on each side of neck and bridge pickup. I took a pic (see below) that is cut down about 1 inch deep as wide as the two screw holes. So I cut blocks of wood (for the bridge, a 3/4 inch by 1 inch block and 1/2 inch tall for neck. and drilled a hole through the wood block and screwed it into the center block to build up the height on each side. Then I lined the up the bridge pup with the low and high E string as best I could (Filtertron pickups will not line up perfectly on the bridge pickup pole screws. Even on the Pro line models they don't line up perfectly. I'm kinda baffled that). Anyway, I added a little bit of foam rubber on top of the wood blocks, made pilot holes for the pups and screwed them down until the height was to my liking. Easy Peazy. Now, the funny parto_O! For the neck, I cut the blocks and was testing the fit with the first block to make sure it wasn't too wide. OOPS! I pushed the block a little too far in and...PLOP! it falls into the guitar!!! Panic immediately set in!! Those damn F holes are too small to fish out the wooden block and it was just slightly smaller than the hole it slipped through. I spent a good three hours trying to shake it out back through the center block space hole. No luck...Needle nose pliers next. It was like playing the game "Operation" that I played as a kid but 10x harder. Whenever I got a grip on the block, and almost had it out, it would slip out and fall back into the guitar! Finally, I got enough sense to get some string and gorilla glue and manage to get the block close to the center block opening. I glued the string to the block and waited about an hour and was able to pull it back out. Whew...what a night! After that, I CAREFULLY repeated the process for the bridge pickup and all was good after that. So the lesson of the story is...BE CAREFUL WITH THE WOOD BLOCKS!!! THEY CAN EASILY FALL INTO THE CAVITY OF THE GUITAR!!! :eek:
    h 20171027_230509.jpg

Davis Sharp, mrfixitmi and Calula like this.
  12. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
    Boots64, after your experience I'll think it twice before I go and try the same thing. Oh, hell... maybe I'd better pay my luthier to do it... Thanks anyway :)

13. boots64

boots64 Electromatic

Oct 22, 2017
    Calula likes this.
  14. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
    Hey boots64, do you remember if you found the broad'tron wires to be tied up by the ground wire connecting to the Bigsby? I opened mine yesterday and I couldn't pull the pots out to swap the pups. I'm welcoming advice here: http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/trouble-swapping-pups-need-help.171536/ Thx!

15. Chris Morgan

Chris Morgan Electromatic

Mar 14, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    This looks amazing! I’m new to the forum and need some advice please. I’ve got a 2622T and would like to fit the silver G arrow knobs. What fitting should I look for?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

16. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Here's what I used. Perfect fit.

I didn't like the amber knobs with chrome hardware against my Aged Brooklyn Burst - it looked mismatched to me. If it had come with the smoky gray knobs, I probably wouldn't have changed them.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  17. Chris Morgan

Chris Morgan Electromatic

Mar 14, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
  18. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    No problem!

19. Wildmann

Wildmann Newbie

Mar 14, 2018
    Cocoa Beach, Florida
    I changed to the 'G' Gretsch knobs, and the toggle tip! I left the Original H.B. pups in! Mine is the GREEN one! That's all they had when I bought mine! I would have preferred the S.B. or the Sunset Orange, BUT!

Floo likes this.
  20. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Toggle tip, the great Armygirl-mod!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice