My solution to getting a burger like in a steak house

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, May 5, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    No, I am not affiliated with this company and...they are better (to me) than Angus-branded burgers. Available at my local Stop & Shop:

[​IMG]

It's prime chuck meat and to me, is worth the extra few bucks. I cook them in a cast iron pan like this, marinated with some salt:

upload_2020-5-5_18-21-10.jpeg

Please don't use this top-secret information to create a national burger franchise, OK?

MikeSchindler, ramjac, phil66 and 3 others like this.
  2. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The difference between a grill and a griddle is significant.

ruger9 likes this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Grill = barbecue with hot rocks or charcoal?
    Griddle = cast iron pan above?

I'm sure but I think it begins with the best possible cut of meat.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'll look next time I go

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Well, any beef you buy that is Prime rated is going to be very good as opposed to Choice for sure!

benjwri and phil66 like this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I would say more generally that grill involves direct heat (could also be propane or wood), griddle indirect.

ZackyDog likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I like a good burger. Top quality meat is the key.
    What I don't get is the trend to pile on tons of things I DON'T want on a burger---potato chips, fries, mac'n'cheese, fried eggs, and so on. More than two patties is needless waste. You can't even get the top and bottom into your mouth together as it's 8" tall. Smacks of gluttony.

8. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    c'mon, what's better than a burger covered in Spam? :D:p

9. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I remember a place that served a big thick juicy burger in between two grilled cheese sandwiches instead of a conventional bun. That was a bit too much.

Tele295, new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  10. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I'm saying that a griddle is a flat top, some people prefer that, a a grill is anything like that cast iron pan that elevates the food and allows for dripping etc to fall and vaporize and come up to add flavor.
    Griddle:

ZackyDog likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Someone makes a sandwich served between two Krispy Kreme donuts.

GlenP likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Spam, Spam, Spam, Eggs, and Spam!

13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Good common sense here. Give me one fat patty of high quality meat well seasoned with a slice of melted cheese and a soft bun. That’s it. Maybe a little ketchup for dippin’. Why complicate a simplistic and wonderful thing? Oh - by the way......gimme two of those. ;)

section2, ronbo, Sabato and 3 others like this.
  14. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Cheeseburgers are far and away my favorite food on earth. I have been working to perfect them for about 10 years and I think I've landed on the most important thing. I have a charcoal grill, and I stoke it hot as blazes, then put a cast iron skillet on that fire until it's ripping hot, then add the beef (80/20 is my preference) and just crust the whole outside. takes about 3 mins a side and you're all set. It will be about medium rare and juicy on the inside but super crunchy on the outside. with the charcoal you get the benefit of a bit of smoke in the meat, but the cast iron means the crust is the whole surface, not just the grill lines. a-maz-ing!

Oh, and if anyone puts an egg anywhere NEAR my burger (or any food for that matter) they will pull back a stump. that is not ok. And don't get fancy, American cheese is the right cheese for a burger.

15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I really don't like "extras" either on a burger---just cheese. Sometimes I'll have sauteed onions.

But...

Wendy's had this a few years ago as a limited offering and I thought it was tasty. A homemade one should be even better. It's on a pretzel roll, with red onion, lettuce, tomato, mild cheddar cheese and honey mustard.

[​IMG]

audept likes this.
  16. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Totally agree.

ronbo likes this.
  17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    A SQUARE burger patty? :eek:

18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

What? Nah..........ain’t no “pretzel” happenin around my burger. That’s like two “neck” Filtertrons. ;)

section2, Henry and ZackyDog like this.
  19. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Agree with this, except that the occasional fried egg is OK, and sometimes I’ll use a little BBQ sauce if I overcook the patties. Sometimes I’ll rub the patties with garlic salt or brown sugar and let them sit overnight before grilling. But in general the flavor should be the meat. As little bun as possible, too. I usually slice the top of a regular bun in two thinner pieces and skip the bottom.

Depends on what you mean by top quality. Top quality for me is the 80% lean stuff. Any leaner is no go. A good test is that it should take you about five minutes and half a bottle of soap to get all the grease off your hands after forming the patties.

Skillet is fine, but only if you use it outside on the grill. Never inside. 80% ground beef makes a greasy, spattery, smoky flammable mess that takes forever to clean. Put the skillet on the grill and heat the grill. Burn off the mess when you’re done.

wabash slim and ZackyDog like this.
  20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Here is why.

loudnlousy and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice