My new VOX AC-4 TV - compared to Champ 600

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Amaryllis, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I've only seen 1 for sale in the last 6 months. I wonder how many he made?

2. DevilYouKnow

DevilYouKnow Country Gent

Jan 18, 2009
    Fog City USA
    Okay so, by way of an update, I wanted to let you know that I just put in an order for the AC-4TVH (Head Only) at Sweetwater. Anyway, turns out they're expected mid-may. I won't be charged until it ships and I'm in on the preorder. This will give me a little time to change my mind and get the combo if that's what I decide to do.

3. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I know where there's a Portly Cadet NOS that was the 6V6 counterpart. Think Supro. I'm not even sure how long Brian was making these. He once said for what it cost for production in comparison and what he sold them for the profit margain was nil. That's a surprise because they weren't cheap. I think the next time I talk to him I'll ask.

4. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Well, I ordered the combo from American Musical. We'll see what all the hubub is when it gets here. I'm actually planning on running it in stereo out of chorus pedal. One part will go to my Vox AC 15, the other will go to my AC 4. Should be fun ;)

5. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    That would make a great recording setup with your Swart if it lives up to the hype.

6. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah, I've found that the Swart is a little much sometimes. If I really want to get any dirt out of it at all, it's damn loud. Given it's able to swap between EL34, 6L6, and 6V6, I'm sure it's got one heck of an output transformer. So, I'm hoping the Little Vox will fit the the bill for a quieter dirt tone, with the Swart fitting the bill for a nice clean Tweed type tone.

7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Bonedaddy, do you have the 20W AST or one of the 5-watters?

As much as I dislike MVs, that's the one problem I have with the Swarts- they have no MV/attenuation, and even at 5W they are loud in their sweetspot. Usually not a problem for gigs, but for home playing...

I've heard Swart's MV on their new AST head MkII works quite well.

8. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Did anybody find out for sure if the head/cab version is available yet? IIRC someone said it's out in May...anybody got a price? I checked MF yesterday and all they had was a combo.

The head/cab version sounded pretty good on the video.

9. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I've got one of the 5 watt Space Tone Reverb models. One of the original tolex covered models, not the new tweed (even though it's a tweed like circuit). It is a monster for 5 watts. I suppose because it's driving a 12" speaker, that's a big part of it. Good sounding amp; nice and clean with some grit starting to appear about half way. But to really juice it, you gotta crank that knob all the way to the right. It gets too loud for home use at that point (at least where I live; I try to be courteous to my neighbors) :D

10. mugsy

mugsy Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2008
    Indiana
    Bonedaddy:

An attenuator for a 5 watt amp is pretty easy to build. I used a little project box with two 1/4" jacks. Inside is an L-Pad. One side connects to the speaker jack on the amp. The other connects to the speaker. It's easy to use/remove and requires no modification to the amp. Weber has a page to figure the resistor values:

http://www.webervst.com/lpad.htm

11. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I've already got an attenuator, a Weber MiniMass. It works fine, but I do find on the Swart it robs some of the tone. It's not terrible, but it's noticeable.

12. DevilYouKnow

Jan 18, 2009
    Fog City USA
    Congrats Bonedaddy. I'm sure we'll dig these new (and pretty affordable) toys when they arrive. But I'm going to need one of these; my boogie has an excellent reverb tank but the vox does not. Sounds good for the money.

13. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Wow, for a pedal that sounds pretty good.

14. DevilYouKnow

Jan 18, 2009
    Fog City USA
    Should've probably put it in the pedal pushers forum but since we're talking about an amp w/o reverb ... I thought the same thing. Big sound for a tiny box. And for a buck and a half, not too bad a deal. Gotta go now. Getting GAS pains. ;-)

15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Speaking of attenuators, I had a Mini-Mass for a while. It's good. But I know have a Dr Z Airbrake and it's alot better. He has a new one, a smaller & cheaper version, called the Brake Lite... might be worth a look!

I want to eventually get an Ultimate Attenuator, which is actually a re-amping device, and is supposed to be as good as it gets. I wouldn't buy one just for the AC4 or anything... it costs as much AS the AC4, but I use attenuators on my other amps at home.

16. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    The only issue with teh Z airbrakes is that they're resistor based. Not the healthiest thing for your amp. The mini-mass is at using a speaker motor.

17. Twang

Twang Electromatic

Jun 4, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Bonedaddy, did you get your AC4 yet? (I did a search but didn't find anything)

I'm torn b/t fixing my old Musicmaster Bass amp ($200) or buying an AC4 and just waiting on the MMB so I'm interested in reading as many reviews as possible.

:cool:

18. DevilYouKnow

Jan 18, 2009
    Fog City USA
    Yeah Bonedaddy, please chime in here. I ordered the head/cab but don't know if its size justifies that arrangement. Might change up my order so it ships today if I can hear another glowing review.

19. mugsy

mugsy Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2008
    Indiana
  20. DevilYouKnow

Jan 18, 2009
    Fog City USA
    Wow Mugsy, thank you. Off to call sweetwater.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice