My new 2010 G5120

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by John Drummond, Apr 14, 2019.

1. John Drummond

John Drummond Electromatic

Feb 26, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I've spent the last few weeks modding some Streamliners that I picked up and while doing so I also picked up a pristine 2010 G5120 and spent the week modding that here's the results.
    2010 G5120
    [​IMG]
    Bone Nut
    Grover V97c Machine heads
    Silver G5420 Pickguard
    HS Filter'Tron Pickups
    Silver Pickup Bezels
    Bigsby “Duane Eddy” Tremolo Arm
    Aluminium ABR-1 Bridge
    Treble Bleed Mod
    Spraque Hyrel .022 Capacitor

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Nice job. great guitar.

3. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Nice! I have a 5122 and a 5420 and I love the feel of the 5122 much more! Did a bunch of mods to the 5122 as well.

4. jay_mci

jay_mci Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    indiana
    What did it take to get the duane eddy arm on what im assuming is a b60 bigsby. Im thinking about adding it to my 5420t.

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool,looks great!

6. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
  7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Looks great ...miss my 5120

8. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Nice one, congrats!

9. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Very nice! The Silver pickgaurd with the Silver pickup bezels really make the tops of the pickups stand out strong!

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  11. John Drummond

Feb 26, 2016
    United Kingdom
    To swap the arm over is actually quite easy as long as you take it slow and steady & keep remeasuring. The B-60's string bar is 10mm across whereas the US models including B-6 are 9.2mm so to make it fit you to enlarge the hole on the US mounting bracket. I used a 4 step hand reamer like this.
    [​IMG]
    The mounting bracket is made from very soft alminium so just take it super slow and keep checking (also remember to remove the hex bolt that tightens it to the arm - First one I forgot to do it and only remembered when I heard a weird grinding noise) I also turn the bracket over and go from the other side once I'm half way though (Keeps it from sloping) Once reamed just slide new bracket and arm on, tighten up and your good to go.

Heres a link on evilbay for the right kind of reamer in the US
    [​IMG]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPMQ5007...913624&hash=item5d6a0afa88:g:hAMAAOSw4f5YCi~m

Good luck and always remember measure twice, ream once. anything you need give a shout.

jay_mci likes this.
  12. John Drummond

Feb 26, 2016
    United Kingdom
    To swap the arm over is actually quite easy as long as you take it slow and steady & keep remeasuring. The B-60's string bar is 10mm across whereas the US models including B-6 are 9.2mm so to make it fit you to enlarge the hole on the US mounting bracket. I used a 4 step hand reamer like this.
    [​IMG]
    The mounting bracket is made from very soft alminium so just take it super slow and keep checking (also remember to remove the hex bolt that tightens it to the arm - First one I forgot to do it and only remembered when I heard a weird grinding noise) Once reamed just slide new bracket and arm on, tighten up and your good to go.

Heres a link on evilbay for the right kind of reamer in the US
    [​IMG]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPMQ5007...913624&hash=item5d6a0afa88:g:hAMAAOSw4f5YCi~m

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice