My moms friend husband has the sickness.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Roy Clark, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    My mom has a friend. Here husband has the virus. Mom found out last night. I'm sure here friend is not doing good with the news. Anyone know any one with the virus?

2. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    My brother-in-law got it. He's a good old strong farm boy (well 55 year old man) in Wisconsin and was able to recover at home.

Thass likes this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yes, I girl I grew up with in CT has it. She's in a medically induced coma (like I was, a year ago).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    When I had pneumonia last month, it's very possible that I had the virus. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I don't know anyone personally - although some might have had it without knowing it. My family does pray every night for those across the world that do become infected by it.

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes a friends brother in law but he healed right up but said it was the worst cold he ever had.

7. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Fortunately nobody in the whole family. Nor friends or colleagues (as far as I know). Hope that will last.

8. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    No one I know so far.

Any chance to get it tested? If you had it, you'll likely be immunized a few months, maybe even longer ... which could take a bit of burden off, I suppose ... but tests are rare, testing people with acute, current symptoms is prioritized.

wabash slim likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    My son's very good friend and her husband got it. He barely missed seeing them and probably would be sick right now.

We had our first confirmed case in my office, 5 days after forced work from home. They have disinfected the area and traced all contacts. Apparently I didn't know this person or I would have heard. So for me, only distant contact.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm not going to worry too much about it. In case that I didn't have it, I'm not going to risk going to a doctor's office or hospital full of sick people to find out.

19cad61, Thass, T Bone and 1 other person like this.
  11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    One of my patients is positive, having traveled in Spain recently, but he's doing well, not in the hospital. Our health system has 62 confirmed cases with 5 currently in the hospital. However the only people being tested are hospitalized patients and potentially exposed symptomatic health care workers and other first responders, so the real number is much, much higher. The soon to be available Abbott rapid test (using the same technology as the rapid strep and flu tests) will really help. They claim they can produce 50,000/day. Still bad that it's taken this long. Now we only need more protective gear.

33Jayman, section2, T Bone and 3 others like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    We have a drive through test site setup in Sioux Falls and if someone coming in has respiratory problems they are taken inside for a more complete check up.

13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I know several people who have had it. And here is the scary thing:

*One person has ZERO symptoms outside of lack of taste and smell.

*Another who has it has experienced typical cold/flu symptoms.

*Another who has it is a producer friend of mine. Extremely healthy dude. Under 50, great physical shape. No health issues. Works out/runs all the time. They live on a chunk of property where they grow their own organic food, keep chickens etc etc. HE has been in and out of the hospital several times so far. He says it seems to be changing in his body every day. He told me there have been two instances where he felt like he was dying. Like, literally his body was checking out.

*I know ANOTHER person who was in their 50s with no health issues at all. Kept going in to the doctor, and they kept sending her home. The last time they sent her home, she passed away 3 days later. :(

So for ME, the scary thing is not knowing how YOUR body would handle it if you caught it. Maybe very mildly. Maybe you get pretty sick. Or maybe you die. It’s so all over the map.

About a month and a half ago, I got REALLY sick. The sickest I’ve maybe ever been. High fever for days on end(hit 104 at its worst!), aches, sweats, chills, and congestion. That turned into fluid in my lungs. The Dr treated me as a flu patient, and then after the congestion treated me for walking pneumonia.
    Well, NOW in retrospect I wonder if I had THIS doggone thing.

blueruins, section2 and Flouswa like this.
  14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Sorry for your friends, Tony. Glad you recovered.

COVID 19 seems to be a unique virus. Myriad symptoms. Most (80-85%) have no symptoms or only mild ones. However in a big way that's bad: people with the virus often don't know it and can pass it to others. Which is why staying away from others as much as possible even if you feel fine is crucial to stopping the spread.

The other 15% get really sick, with half of those hospitalized. Up to 5% die. (Mostly older patients or those with other health issues.) Doesn't affect kids as frequently as other flu-like illnesses but a 2 year old died yesterday.

Stay safe and healthy.

Flouswa and T Bone like this.
  15. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    That seems a good idea.

I, kind of, grounded my Dad. I'm staying at his place at the moment anyway (between jobs ... they're usually somewhere for a few weeks or months, then elsewhere, back, forth, around, ... now likely home office), and he has an impressive medical record, already survived a lot ... so I'll go to the doctor instead of him, and in a few days (in germany, all medical stuff is organized in quarters of years for ... whatever reason), the new period has then begun, I'll call the doctor and maybe can avoid everything but picking up the stuff at the pharmacy, and have a few months of medication here, in case it gets more complicated or dangerous to go get the stuff. A few of these are curcial to surviving, so there's no way around getting them.

Anyway, whoever has, had, could have, could have had it - gute Besserung!

wabash slim likes this.
  16. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and perspective on this. You have a unique position amongst us, having the education and experience to understand what is really going on with this thing, grateful you can share some of that with us.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Lots of people I know have or have had the virus. I'm only half sure I haven't had it myself. I tend to believe I haven't, but I cannot be sure whether it was a cold, or a very mild case of COVID-19. Eight days ago, on Saturday, I woke up with a runny nose and a sore throat. Not the typical symptoms of it, but that evening, I had a temperature (I think it's 100F for you, just below 38ºC), and while that's not typical of a cold, I do sometimes have a temperature which I think is related to the sore throat (being a teacher, my throat's sort of sore all the time). After one week, I've still got the runny nose, but nothing else (the temperature came back to normal on Monday morning). Coincidence, or COVID-19?

Anyway, as I said, many people around have got it. None of them has had the test made (the number of infected people is extremely higher than reported, at least in Spain, as they run out of tests at the beginning of it all, so people don't count as infected cases, even when it's clear they are).

I don't know directly anyone who's died, though people I know have had people in their families die from coronavirus (my boss's father, a friend's grandfather, two friends of my mother's...). All of them over 75, though not necessarily with previous conditions (my theory is that they probably had something, only they didn't know it). As for the rest, it's as if they had had the flu: bad cases sometimes, mild cases other times. I think the worst have been two friends of mine, 43 years of age, healthy couple. They had a 39ºC temperature (102F), lots of coughing, and they had trouble breathing when moving, if only a little (the only times they weren't out of breath were when they were sitting or lying, since even walking between their room and the bathroom was tiring). They called the emergency telephone, and were told to remain at home, and call if they get worse. So their condition, bad as it sounds, wasn't considered too bad by the doctors, at least not bad enough to be taken to hospital. After one week, they were better, as they could breathe normally, though their temperature was still higher than normal. And then, little by little, they've returned to normalcy.

Even though this is a scary situation, and I do believe we must be careful, getting the COVID-19 is not a death sentence. I you compare the number of infected people with the number of deceased, you can see that most people get over it. And this is even truer when you consider what I said before, that the number of deceased is what it is, but the number of infected people is much higher than reported. I know many people who are ill, but not even one who's had the test done. Even those people who get hospitalised because of it are usually OK, as long as they aren't taken to IC. For these, sadly, it's unusual to come alive out of it, though some cases have been known. And, mind, this might be different in places with better means, so that people can be taken care of before it's too late.

It's really important that you stay at home. Even if the virus won't probably harm you if you are healthy and not over 70, you never know who you are going to pass it on to. And they may, in turn, infect someone who would really be in big trouble if he got it. I haven't been out since the 13th, and I don't think I will go out before all of this ends. Even if you've already had it, it's not really known for how long you can still infect others.

So it's time to stay at home. Luckily, we all have a hobby which is very suitable for being indoors.

18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes, and where i am this thing hit right at the Flu/ Cold and allergy season so its very hard to tell what you have. I have had a sinus infection for a month, complete with sniffles and dry throat, no fever though.....yet.

Bertotti likes this.
  19. Thass

Thass Electromatic

Dec 29, 2019
    Palm Desert
    drmilktruck thank you for being on the frontline!! I wish you well and stay safe.

20. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Whoa Tony, very scary! Would you mind if I did a screen shot of this to share on my FB page? I have some idiots who follow me on there that don't seem to be taking it seriously. I would remove your name and any personal info.

TSims1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice