My Modified Fender Blues Deluxe RI

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by wenzel, Jul 15, 2008.

1. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    I love this amp. I tried almost every amp in the store and ended up buying this one. I ended up lacquering the tweed, changing the handle to a raised leather one, added a vintage green buffed glass jewel light and vintage bakelite chicken head knobs to it. It's a looker and it sounds awesome. I know it's not hand wired, but who cares when it sounds that good...

Chris

[​IMG]

Here is my baby that gets played through this awesome amp! Notice the Gretsch bigsby? I prefer the look on the SSLVO over the standard generic bigsby, but that's just me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    That really looks great!!!

3. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    Thanks Noel! Have you ever played one of these amps before? It's really magic every time I plug in and start playing. I've rarely found an amp that can do that within my price range. I paid around $700 for the amp and it was well worth the price. I A/B'd it with Deluxe Reverb Reissues and every other amp they had in the store. The sales rep was shocked when I chose this one over the others, including the Blues Deville. Even with one 12 inch speaker, it rocks just as well as the rest. It's 40 watts of pure tube power with an eminence speaker in it. Fender really did a good thing by reissuing this amp...

Thanks again for looking!

Chris

4. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Yeah I accually just sold mine to a buddy in desperate need.

5. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    Noel, are you planning on buying another one to replace it or get something else?

6. Twang

Twang Electromatic

Jun 4, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    That's a great combination! Nice job on lacquering the tweed too.

7. bobframe

bobframe Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    US
    Chris,

I'm shocked to hear that you modified this amp. Very uncharacteristic of you. ;)

BTW, I was reading the Bob Benedetto website and he puts out, as I'm sure you know, some of the very finest hand built arch top guitars on the planet. Included in his line up is a series of more "affordable" laminated guitars that are spec'd as having "Laminated select spruce" tops. At least he's upfront about it. Sorry to 'jack your thread.

Back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Have a look: http://www.benedetto-guitars.com/model_bravodeluxe.php

8. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I am gonna see about something differant. to be honest I would love a 15 watt version of that amp. But I am looking at a Vox AC15, A Peavery Delta Blues and well my holy grail would be the tone of a Marshall bluesbreaker at the price of a Blues Deluxe Reissue

9. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    You know I love it, cause it is just like mine! The closest sound to an old black face Bassman that I have found, but in a small easy to tote package!

10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I was going to get a Blues Deluxe but the nuclear test facility down the street said that it's too noisy and it might interfere with the sound samples they take from their tests. :)

11. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    Bobcat, you are right! It sounds so good to my ears and I tweaked and prodded over 20 amps before I decided on this one. The funny thing was that it was the first amp I played through and I said to myself that I couldn't see how any other amp could sound any better for the sound I was looking for. Sure, other amps do other things better, but this one did what I wanted it to do the best. 40 watts might be a little loud for some folks, but for me it is perfect for bedroom wailing and live gigs as well. It sure can hang and drowns out my drummer if I want it too. 40 watters are overkill, but it does it's thang and can hold its own, even with only one speaker!

Mark, do you mean noisy as in LOUD? My amp is clean and clear as a whistle. No noise, just sweet notes eminating from the speaker. lol

Chris

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That is certainly true. These are great sounding amps.

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I meant it in the sense of lots of volume.

14. Gretschadelphia

Gretschadelphia Electromatic

Jun 4, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I had the black tolex Hot Rod Deluxe version and it sounded great, but the volume was just way too much for my basement playing...so I traded it for a Blues Jr. I'm actually looking to upgrade from my Blues Jr but just haven't found anything that wasn't way out of my price range that really sounded better. Looking into the Laney Lionheart 5 watt combo w/ 12" speaker but haven't really heard much feedback on any of the websites I frequent.

15. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    The only upgrade I would consider is a GreTsch, Playboy, Executive or Variety! They are the sweetest sounding amps made!:D

Attached Files:

16. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Chris, check out the sweet stand I stole for my "Blues". They had it on sale for half off at American Music Supply. Gigged last weekend and it worked great!

Attached Files:

17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The big problem with the Hot Rod series amp is the straight-taper volume control. For some reason, they didn't use an audio taper pot and because of it making fine adjustments near the lower part of the volume range is difficult at best.

18. Otterbean

Otterbean Gretschie

Jun 5, 2008
    LoUiSiAna
    Wenzel-I spy something black and white in the background in progress. Have fun with that one.;)

The Blues Deluxe RI is a nice amp. Sounds good to me. Little bit noisy compared to the new gretsch amps for sure. Just A/Bed one with an Executive. You could dial in the Blues Deluxe clean tone on the Executive if you wanted after fiddling around with the controls a bit. The Executive is just a much cleaner sounding amp.

19. bobframe

bobframe Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    US
    B'Kat,

I've been thinking about buying one of those, but heard that you lose the bottom end when you get the amp up off the ground. True or not?

20. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    Bob, the reason people might say that you lose bottom end is because you can hear the highs better. Try laying on the ground next to your amp next time you play and it will sound totally different than when your ears are 6 feet off the ground and the speaker is 3". George Harrison used to prop his VOX's up too. I do too, but I stand my amp up on milk crates live. In the studio, I don't worry about it much, except for EQ'ing the amp at ground level so that the recording actually sounds the way I want it to sound. I think that when people say that you lose bottom end they just don't know any better. Don't believe the hype.

Otterbean, yeah she's coming along nicely!

Bobcat, where'd you get that nameplate for your amp? I can't find a Fender Deluxe badge for mine that looks like that. Mine just says Fender on it, but it's the blues deluxe.

I think the blues deluxe sounds different than the hotrod series fender has out. They sound good, but there's just something special about this amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice