My modded G5420

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by CaseyJames, Jul 9, 2019.

1. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Electromatic

Jun 5, 2019
    East Lancashire, UK
    Hey everyone, I've had my Gretsch since like January, I absolutely adore the vintage orange Gretsches & that's why I bought this 5420-59....

First up I purchased a reverend soft spring which makes the Bigsby response way, way better.

Anyway, after a few months of playing, the gold hardwear started to gripe me a bit.. So I decided to change to nickel.

I found someone selling a rocking bar bridge on eBay which really did the trick in bringing out the guitars' tone..

Next I got some Wilkinson nickel tuners that are awesome, they aren't spongy in the slightest & allow for precise adjustments.

Then the rest of the hardwear got changed..

I was initially looking at getting some nickel HS Filtertrons but someone was selling some Super HiLotrons.

I recalled really liking the sound of the Super Hilo's when trying various Gretsches in the store so I pulled the trigger... I may one day decide to go HS filtertron or TV Jones but I'm v satisfied for now!!

The final modification was just putting a metal plate around the jack as it was starting to split a little.

So voila; I suppose it's my take of a Tennessee Rose... Let's call it the Lancashire Rose DSC_0344.JPG DSC_0345.JPG DSC_0347.JPG

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    DHart, MTurner, thunder58 and 9 others like this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Awesome!!! Looks great! Can we see a picture of your new tuners?
    Were they a direct replacement?
    I put gold Sperzel lockers on mine, but I had do some work to make them fit.
    I love my 5420-59 as well, and like you, I’ve modded the heck out of mine.
    Next for me is a new wiring harness from TV Jones with a tone switch. Just ordered it the other day.

CaseyJames and Merc like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice mods!

CaseyJames likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Looks super clean and beautiful, great job.

I’m not sure which Wilkinson you installed. I put some on a non-Gretsch. Great tuners. Once I swapped the buttons out, initially there was a little slop or play when turning. I figured out I simply had to push the button on a little more and then tighten the screw. Bang, no more slop. Just a friendly tip if yours has or gets play, easy fix.

CaseyJames likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Great job!

CaseyJames likes this.
  6. Junior94

Junior94 Gretschie

Jul 29, 2017
    Texas
    Keep us, mostly me, informed on those hilotron pickups. I heard they are single coil and I wanted to try them out in the bridge of my 2420t. So please, more pictures and a sounds clip or two? Maybe? Beautiful guitar! One of a kind and great job

CaseyJames likes this.
  7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    The vintage Hilotrons were single-coil. The Super Hilos are dual-coil humbuckers voiced to sound like single coils. They're beautiful pickups. Very responsive; nice warm tone, but not muddy at all.

CaseyJames and Junior94 like this.
  8. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Electromatic

Jun 5, 2019
    East Lancashire, UK
    Here's a vid of when I just had the neck PUP installed, I play mostly on it.. Messing around with I wanna be adored by the Stone Roses; unfortunately I don't have a amp mic so it's only recorded off my phone

https://www.instagram.com/p/By-riNfHHp_/?igshid=12y9mvphtqcvs

9. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Electromatic

Apr 11, 2012
    Hog Mountain
    Nice!

I just switched mine from gold to nickel too.

Like @calebaaron666 said, post pics of the tuners, front and back, if you can. I’m curious how those look.

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Very nice work!

CaseyJames likes this.
  11. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Electromatic

Jun 5, 2019
    East Lancashire, UK
    Hi yeah - sorry for the late reply on this...

The tuners fit fine on the back but for brushings were too large for the guitar... So for now I kept the original gold brushings
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Pieces-Metal-Guitar-Machine-Head-Tuning-Peg-Bushings-Ferrules-Nickel-Color-UK/303123516709?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
    These just arrived this morning which I'll be putting in once the Gretsch is ready for a re-string.

Attached Files:

Nolefinity likes this.
  12. Donaldo

Donaldo Electromatic

Nov 15, 2018
    Newcastle, UK
    Love the gold Scratchplate, looks cool over the orange, nice job.

thunder58 likes this.
  13. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  14. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Electromatic

Apr 11, 2012
    Hog Mountain
    Awesome, looks great. Thanks for the extra pics and info.

15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Great work @CaseyJames . The gang will tell you around here that one of my pet-peeves is that every guitar should come with a jack plate ( and a case too ) .
    Your guitar ( modded ) reminds me of the 5120 I had . I did a lot of mods to mine but sold it to fund other things . I had added / modded it with locking tuners , custom truss rod cover , TV Jones pick ups and harness , rocking bar bridge , Bigsby B7 w/ V cut , jack plate , and strap locks . Miss that guitar ..... heres some photos for inspiration

Attached Files:

CaseyJames likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice